Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 4, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #4,953 of 5,348
Would anyone be able to recommend a (Windows PC) video player that gels well with Amanero / WASAPI exclusive audio? I've been using VLC and KMplayer but all options just go through the Windows soundcard, leaving some performance behind. Preferably something free.
Kodi? Not playing videos, but few years ago when doing installation for others, I noticed such audio output option.

Sep 15, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #4,954 of 5,348
NIce one. I'll look into the Super 3. What DAC are you using?

I use a Plixir Elite BDC Dual linear power supply (with Statement DC cables) for my wifi router and network switch, and an old Teradak DC-30W for my modem.
Have a Teddy Pardo MiniTeddy linear power supply for my streamer, and another Plixir Elite BDC linear power supply for my second network switch.

Sep 15, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #4,955 of 5,348
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Tubulus Argentus i2S cable to go from my DI-20HE to Dac.
Will replace the Blue Jeans i2S, and Audience AU24SX AES/EBU cable.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #4,956 of 5,348
Hello,

How can a DI-20-HE improve the sound quality with a R7-HE ?
Both have USB isolator, FPGA, Regenerative Power-supply...
isn't the DI-20-HE already built-in with R7-HE ?

How much is the improvement ? What connection is used between R7-HE and DI-20-HE ?
Many thanks

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #4,957 of 5,348
Hello,

How much is the improvement ? What connection is used between R7-HE and DI-20-HE ?
Many thanks
In theory yes, but its difficult to quantify in words.

While the regenerative power supply does reduce alot of noise coming from the power source, it does not remove all of it. All of these devices themselves also generate their own noise. This is why having good cables will also have a benefit in sound quality as well on either device. Not as much of an effect as a device without the regen but some. Whether its worth it is up to you.

As far as the galvanic isolation, I know that in theory, it blocks the power from the 5v of the usb from being transmitted to the device but again, I think there are levels to this. EMFs don't need to be in direct contact or have a stream of power to inject noise, its close enough to where it may still pass some noise through into the device.

I believe the di20 also converts the digital signal that is less susceptible to noise contamination and jitter as well.

Perhaps someone else who's more knowledgeable on the technicals can chime in with a better explanation.

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #4,958 of 5,348
Hello,

Many thanks
If I2S / good cable used the difference is not going to be small ...

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #4,959 of 5,348
Would anyone be able to recommend a (Windows PC) video player that gels well with Amanero / WASAPI exclusive audio? I've been using VLC and KMplayer but all options just go through the Windows soundcard, leaving some performance behind. Preferably something free.

PotPlayer https://potplayer.daum.net/ can do WASAPI

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #4,960 of 5,348
If I2S / good cable used the difference is not going to be small ...
I have R7HE21 (Equivalent of MK2). It has USB Isolator, I2S Isolator, HE Power supply. It seems to me that we find these in the DI-20-HE.
It really looks like the R7HE21 has a DI-20-HE built-in.
So how can the difference be that huge ? I just don't understand how...Please explain.
I'd like to have feedback of people having R7HE2 + DI-20-HE if there are on that forum.
Thanks a lot.

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #4,961 of 5,348
It really looks like the R7HE21 has a DI-20-HE built-in.
So how can the difference be that huge ? I just don't understand how...Please explain.
You will get user first-had experience, while it is already there, consistent reports burried in thousand posts. It is worth to read all (and also R-7 thread).

Explanation will be not scientific, as no one measure flow of a common mode noise ( another name for ground loops - the biggest culprit). One things is for sure. Common mode noise has such characteristic that it closes a loop through the equipment power supply. Once is inside, it spreads to the various parts of a device. If such loop is restricted (ie. on the galvanic isolator), it generate extraordinary voltage differences and converts to EMI, it is already inside!

Often it is difficult to say which is better: galvanic isolation or allowing closing a loop. It is why adding intermediary device redirecting ground loops to its own power supply give a good results. This is a primary function of a DDC, not advertised as not easy to swallow.

You can test whether you need a DDC with a small device like iFi Defender and external power supply. It costs ~60 bucks and this investment is not wasted when you get a DDC.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,964 of 5,348
Is there a custom option for the Di20HE to have an RJ45 I2S output instead of the HDMI? I'm still waiting for Kingwa's reply but maybe someone has had experience with this already.
That's not a problem at all, you have 2 options.
You do it as DIY. Then you need an HDMI/LVDS to i2s board and this adapter from Audio-GD:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003316456642.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/audio-gd-products/audio-gd-input-module-rj45-to-i2s-p-8440.html

Or you can use a ready-made HDMI/LVDS to RJ45/i2s adapter.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4001166100173.html

In any case, you should choose the HDMI cable as long as you need it and the RJ45 cable as short as possible (e.g. 2cm), because the RJ45/i2s connection is sensitive, but the HDMI/LVDS is very immune to interference.
In this respect, this solution is even better than a pure RJ45/i2s connection between the devices.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #4,965 of 5,348
That's not a problem at all, you have 2 options.
You do it as DIY. Then you need an HDMI/LVDS to i2s board and this adapter from Audio-GD:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003316456642.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/audio-gd-products/audio-gd-input-module-rj45-to-i2s-p-8440.html

Or you can use a ready-made HDMI/LVDS to RJ45/i2s adapter.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4001166100173.html

In any case, you should choose the HDMI cable as long as you need it and the RJ45 cable as short as possible (e.g. 2cm), because the RJ45/i2s connection is sensitive, but the HDMI/LVDS is very immune to interference.
In this respect, this solution is even better than a pure RJ45/i2s connection between the devices.
Only the second link.

The first one has nothing to do with HDMI. It takes an input from the RJ-45 connector. Not the output as is needed. Secondly, it is intended for use with older DAC models which have on-board 5-pin I2S TTL level socket. It will work with single-ended I2S source, not guaranteed working with differential I2S source. Website makes a relevant remark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back