Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,061 of 5,348
For me, that's the easy part. If you ask most users here, I think you'll get the same answer. The harder part is how to find time to go over the music selection again.

I guess that would be not to bother and go with DI-20HE. If there is really an improvement that should be the right route, but I doubt that there will be owners of DI-20 and HE version for comparison :I I'm not even confident of how much of the goodness it can bring over IRIS DDC, but that one is out of the question cuz of compatibility issues with mac OS

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,062 of 5,348
I guess that would be not to bother and go with DI-20HE. If there is really an improvement that should be the right route, but I doubt that there will be owners of DI-20 and HE version for comparison :I I'm not even confident of how much of the goodness it can bring over IRIS DDC, but that one is out of the question cuz of compatibility issues with mac OS
Feel like I should chime in here.
While I haven't compared it against the iris. The DI-20HE brought a far larger improvement to my R7HE than the Gaia brought to the T Plus. I've always wondered if the T Plus would have sounded better with the DI-20HE and my guess would be yes. As I understand it the Gaia is a step up from the Iris.

Along with the ability to add a 10Mhz, which became my main reason to keep my R7HE.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #3,064 of 5,348
Feel like I should chime in here.
While I haven't compared it against the iris. The DI-20HE brought a far larger improvement to my R7HE than the Gaia brought to the T Plus. I've always wondered if the T Plus would have sounded better with the DI-20HE and my guess would be yes. As I understand it the Gaia is a step up from the Iris.

Along with the ability to add a 10Mhz, which became my main reason to keep my R7HE.

That's sounds like a biggy, but might be some weird synergy between audio GD products. I know for sure that price not always relates to performance, though by logic it is a better product.

My dac is chord qutest, so I'm wondering if HE20 may be an overkill. Not much info and comparisons are found between DDC's unfortunately

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #3,065 of 5,348
Thanks Roni, now the hardest part is to choose between DI-20/HE, Gustard U18 🤔
I dabbled many DDCs including Singxer, Gustard (most buggy), M2Tech, and few others, DI-20 works the best in my system and don't think I will replace it anytime soon. I have nothing against Gustard, but due to previous buggy experience with U16, I would just wait for more real world reviews.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #3,066 of 5,348
My dac is chord qutest, so I'm wondering if HE20 may be an overkill. Not much info and comparisons are found between DDC's unfortunately
I think HE is overkill for Qutest, you can also play with different power supplies, including a battery power that remove a DAC from the ground loop path. If Qutest is your end game, then I would agree that a cheaper DI-20 is better option. However while you are asking in Audio GD thread, you will be tempted to try a company DAC products as well, HE is recommended with any Audio GD DAC, even the entry level R-1 selling at a half price of Qutest. :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #3,067 of 5,348
I think HE is overkill for Qutest, you can also play with different power supplies, including a battery power that remove a DAC from the ground loop path. If Qutest is your end game, then I would agree that a cheaper DI-20 is better option. However while you are asking in Audio GD thread, you will be tempted to try a company DAC products as well, HE is recommended with any Audio GD DAC, even the entry level R-1 selling at a half price of Qutest. :)

Thanks I'll check on power supplies, not sure what may be the cause, but with DDC sound was much better. Qutest is advised to be used with optical though, but I'm stuck with USB now. For now if I could bring back the sound as it was with IRIS via optical I would be happy. In future I have some interest in R2R dac's, just not yet financially ready

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #3,068 of 5,348
That's sounds like a biggy, but might be some weird synergy between audio GD products. I know for sure that price not always relates to performance, though by logic it is a better product.

I have the DI20 and a Audio-Gd stack to begin with, and man, the combo is so vibrant, holgraphic, clear and resolute in many ways. It took a bit to dial everything in and take some stuff out my chain, but it shines no joke. It is every inch worth the investment for not a whole lotta casheesh.

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #3,069 of 5,348
Hi, I am trying yo update my DI20 to allowDSD via linix. The firmware update is now very complicated. I am supposed to “erase device” by pressing this button for 2 sec next to the update port? But it doesn’t work. Still cannot update now as I cannot erase the device. Anything I need to do?

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #3,071 of 5,348
Hi, I am trying yo update my DI20 to allowDSD via linix. The firmware update is now very complicated. I am supposed to “erase device” by pressing this button for 2 sec next to the update port? But it doesn’t work. Still cannot update now as I cannot erase the device. Anything I need to do?
First of all, if your DI-20 was bought recently, be sure that erasing button cable is inserted internally. Kingwa, to prevent unwanted erase, is selling now his products with cable just internally disconnected.
Then, with your gear ON and disconnected from any cable, press the button and keep it pressed for some second.
Turn off DI-20
Connect usb cable and turn on
Perform amanero flashing
Voilà

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,072 of 5,348
First of all, if your DI-20 was bought recently, be sure that erasing button cable is inserted internally. Kingwa, to prevent unwanted erase, is selling now his products with cable just internally disconnected.
Then, with your gear ON and disconnected from any cable, press the button and keep it pressed for some second.
Turn off DI-20
Connect usb cable and turn on
Perform amanero flashing
Voilà
Do i keep pressing the button and turn it off? I opened the device and the button is wired/connected. The usb cable u mean the usb blaster connected to the port? Is the button supposed to light up red?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back