Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 17, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #3,046 of 5,348
I just also tried the 4.076 and 3.933 fw versions. They all sound good but I fooled myself into believing that this is my order of preference:
3.933 > 4.075 > 4.076
To my ears the 3.933 sounds a bit more precise with more presence and less distance. I will keep it in for now.
(I am at approx. 300 hrs burn in.)

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #3,047 of 5,348
Hi there,
After changing to the new fw and amereno linux usb, my spotify connect cannot connect.
Tidal connect have no such problem.
Is there anybody that have this problem. The spdif input ok. Only when using usb input in the di20.
Is this due to the new amereno linux?

Thanks for any input.
Update: currently ifi is working on the spotify connect problem. Thus not AGD problem.
Btw, i am using 4.075 linux from chinese agd site with latest fw for r8he 2021 with amereno linux usb.
Sounds fabulous, the best sound yet from my rig.

Enjoy

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,049 of 5,348
How does DI-20 behave with macbooks ? I had denafrips IRIS DDC, loved the step up in SQ, but it casually froze my macbooks air OS, especially when unplugged and plugged it back to laptop. Drove me crazy so I sold it...

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #3,050 of 5,348
About the occasional glitch (every 5 min?) that I experience with coax in, P(arallel) and I2S/hdmi out, it now appears that using AES out solves this.
Still using I2S, as I prefer the sound.
However, another setting -- although seemingly unrelated as I only use clock input -- seems to help:
I changed clock output mode from "C" (256fs main clock) to "L" (LRCK/WCLK, word clock).
So far no glitches for 20 minutes. Fingers crossed. Anyone else tried this?

And by the way, I am now using a 60 cm Chroma 7 as I prefer it to the (even shorter) Moshou and brand-less shielded flat Drone cables.

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #3,051 of 5,348
I changed clock output mode from "C" (256fs main clock) to "L" (LRCK/WCLK, word clock).
So far no glitches for 20 minutes. Fingers crossed. Anyone else tried this?

And by the way, I am now using a 60 cm Chroma 7 as I prefer it to the (even shorter) Moshou and brand-less shielded flat Drone cables.
I'm using internal clocks, so I've had no glitches of the kind you've experienced. But I've noticed that USB input can behave strangely after many restarts of the DI-20. Reflashing the Amanero firmware always solved it. Something to keep in mind if you run into any other mysterious glitches.

I received shorter HDMI cables today. A Moshou 25cm and a 10cm drone HDMI cable. I've only done brief comparisons against my 50cm Supra HDMI. But I think Supra might be best. I assumed shorter would be better, given the 0.5 meter Supra won easily against 1.5 meter and 2 meter HDMI cables. But it seems once the length gets within around 0.5 meters the quality of the cable matters more. It's interesting how the I2S HDMI cable changes the character of the sound. The 10cm cable, which is easily the worst built cable I've owned in a long time, has strangely dirty sound to it. It feels like it's adding a bunch of harmonic distortion to the signal. The 25cm Moshou cable is much cleaner and feels almost clinical in comparison. The flaw of the Moshou cable is that it adds a distinct fake timbre to the sound. It somehow messes up the midrange, making it feel sucked out. The 0.5 meter Supra cable gets it right. It feels like the most correct reproduction of the sound. That's why I'm not surprised, but also relieved for my sanity, that you're preferring a 60 cm cable of higher quality to shorter ones lol.

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #3,052 of 5,348
HDMI cables also require hundreds of hours of burn in.

I'm working in a new one right now and have clocked 375 hours and we are not done yet.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #3,053 of 5,348
How does DI-20 behave with macbooks ? I had denafrips IRIS DDC, loved the step up in SQ, but it casually froze my macbooks air OS, especially when unplugged and plugged it back to laptop. Drove me crazy so I sold it...
USB implementation is different. Denafrips use TheSycon libraries on the microprocessor doing many other things (similar XMOS, but it is a dedicated chip), DI-20 has a third-party Amanero Combo384 USB receiver module. I never heard similar problems with Amanero on MAC.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #3,054 of 5,348
Suddenly, as of today, I get loud continuous crackling noise (with the music underneath) when I play with the internal clock of the DI-20HE. Listening to music becomes impossible at this setting. This applies to P(arallel) as well as S(erial).
With the external clock it plays well.
Any idea?

P S Maybe it is the 3.933 fw? I will try to go back to 4.075 when I get the chance and report back.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,055 of 5,348
USB implementation is different. Denafrips use TheSycon libraries on the microprocessor doing many other things (similar XMOS, but it is a dedicated chip), DI-20 has a third-party Amanero Combo384 USB receiver module. I never heard similar problems with Amanero on MAC.

Thanks a lot for an update. I was planning to get clean source like Digione Signature player, but now this got my attention. How these things impact SQ is a mystery to me, but denafrips IRIS made a significant upgrade with Utopia compared to direct route to Qutest DAC. With DDC in my case whole presentation became less aggressive with clearer imaging and better bass slam. Question is how far DI-20 goes if any, but I'll be honest it is hard to resist

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #3,056 of 5,348
With DDC in my case whole presentation became less aggressive with clearer imaging and better bass slam. Question is how far DI-20 goes if any, but I'll be honest it is hard to resist
How far it goes, I don’t know. I am sure not worse, as DI-20 is a better DDC. So far you found you need a clean USB, it is expected when driving from PC.

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #3,057 of 5,348
Suddenly, as of today, I get loud continuous crackling noise (with the music underneath) when I play with the internal clock of the DI-20HE. Listening to music becomes impossible at this setting. This applies to P(arallel) as well as S(erial).
With the external clock it plays well.
Any idea?

P S Maybe it is the 3.933 fw? I will try to go back to 4.075 when I get the chance and report back.

I went back to 4.075 and now it plays well with both the internal and external clocks. Good to know.
For reasons of comparsion (internal vs external) I will now stick with 4.075 but I may go back later to 3.933 external if I still prefer its SQ.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #3,058 of 5,348
I've been using DI-20 with 2013 MacBook Pro, Audirvana, Itune, Apple Music, and Tidal, even ran Dirac live processor, DI-20 never gave me issues. Only glitch I can think of is to turn off and on few times to get sound after DI-20 was disconnected or powered off.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3,059 of 5,348
I've been using DI-20 with 2013 MacBook Pro, Audirvana, Itune, Apple Music, and Tidal, even ran Dirac live processor, DI-20 never gave me issues. Only glitch I can think of is to turn off and on few times to get sound after DI-20 was disconnected or powered off.

Thanks Roni, now the hardest part is to choose between DI-20/HE, Gustard U18 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back