Audio-GD DI-20
May 31, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #1,397 of 5,351
Regarding the effect of external clocks, my friend and I tried it in two setups and there was a big difference between the effects. On my system (with an ecd-1 dac from electrocompaniet), the difference was big; much more natural sound of instruments and voices. In my friend’s system (with a much more expensive dcs dac), the effect of the external clock was much smaller. So the effect might be affected by the dac and its ability to handle/reclock the signal?

May 31, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #1,398 of 5,351
@smodtactical @rsbrsvp
you guys both got the full package from queens-land (no soldering)?
and I assume you run multiple outputs in parallel to both the di20 and r7?
is there advantage/detriment to plugging in series using the di20's CLK OUT jack?

I'm asking because this has two squares and one sine ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HIFI-DIY...0MHz-Sine-Wave-Square-Wave-MV89A/333541364404
I have no idea which one is better, but I suppose if I like the sine (and I owned di20+r7) then I can send sine to both in series.

edit:
oh, and is 3.3Vpp inviting trouble? (ie: is 3Vpp a hard limit)

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,399 of 5,351
I didn't order ext clock yet. Someone mentioned using it alone on di20he doesn't change that much so I will wait. I instead ordered lumin u1 mini and will power it with keces p8. Then I will do coax out to di20he and finally either AES or I2s into terminator v2. Will try all different combinations and report back on results.

May 31, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,400 of 5,351
Sometimes I wonder if getting a 0.6 m Silver Starlight (silver-clad OFC conductors) would have been just as good if not better for I2S than the 1.0 metre Platinum Starlight (solid silver) that I ended up getting.

On a side note, I see Wireworld has a new new circular Silver Sphere cable. Wonder if they're moving away from their flat series.

May 31, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,401 of 5,351
Sometimes I wonder if getting a 0.6 m Silver Starlight (silver-clad OFC conductors) would have been just as good if not better for I2S than the 1.0 metre Platinum Starlight (solid silver) that I ended up getting.

On a side note, I see Wireworld has a new new circular Silver Sphere cable. Wonder if they're moving away from their flat series.

Lengths aside, I always prefer single metal over composites (either solid ofc or solid silver over silver plated ofc). I think the major advantage of platinum is the carbon fibre plugs. Something you could try is a Chroma and wrap the plugs in carbon fibre vinyl you can readily find on eBay.

As a side note I don't know why manufacturers only do carbon fibre at the plugs, when I was making my owner power cables, running carbon fibre down the length of the cable was way more effective than carbon on the plugs only.

May 31, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #1,402 of 5,351
Damn kinda jealous of the Sage's Denafrips Gaia. I wish we could see a DI20HE vs Gaia faceoff.

I noticed he thought it sounded amazing pre-burn in. I don't think anyone said DI20HE sounded good cold? Damn.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #1,403 of 5,351
Damn it I screwed up. I ordered wireworld ultraviolet 7 bnc cable to go from u1 mini to di20he but then just realized di20he doesn't have bnc input. ARGH.

Should I order an adapter or just buy an RCA cable now?

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,404 of 5,351
I own the Chroma 7, the Belden fe, and the wire world platinum starlight.

All are excellent. The chroma 7 has the most transparency, the perhaps the most detailed quantitatively, and the smoothest sounding as well but is also the thinnest sounding. The platinum has the most tonal colour by far and the detail is crisper by a a-lot but perhaps very slightly less detail quantity than the chroma IMHO. The Belden is in the middle.

Technically speaking the Chroma may be considered the best to some- but I feel I need the full tonal colour of the platinum and I love the crispness of the detail retrieval over the smoother chroma 7. I have usually preferred silver in all my cables over copper because of the brighter and fuller tonality even though well made copper often has very slightly superior detail retrieval.

The platinum is the poorest performer for the money by far but IMHO it is clearly the most satisfying sonically not considering price.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #1,405 of 5,351
The Belden is in the middle.

The reason the Belden is fuller sounding is due to the fact it's far smoother than the Chroma 7 that it allows details to blur which adds to the body, it is far from being crisp.

The Chroma 7 is thinner than the Belden, never listened to the platinum, and thicker than the Moshou. I guess it depends on synergy, on my system it is actually well balanced.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,406 of 5,351
The reason the Belden is fuller sounding is due to the fact it's far smoother than the Chroma 7 that it allows details to blur which adds to the body, it is far from being crisp.

The Chroma 7 is thinner than the Belden, never listened to the platinum, and thicker than the Moshou. I guess it depends on synergy, on my system it is actually well balanced.

Once I heard the platinum I could not go back to any other HDMI cable I have- I am hooked on the tonality. Too bad it costs so much.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,407 of 5,351
@smodtactical @rsbrsvp
you guys both got the full package from queens-land (no soldering)?
and I assume you run multiple outputs in parallel to both the di20 and r7?
is there advantage/detriment to plugging in series using the di20's CLK OUT jack?

I'm asking because this has two squares and one sine ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HIFI-DIY...0MHz-Sine-Wave-Square-Wave-MV89A/333541364404
I have no idea which one is better, but I suppose if I like the sine (and I owned di20+r7) then I can send sine to both in series.

edit:
oh, and is 3.3Vpp inviting trouble? (ie: is 3Vpp a hard limit)

I run outs to Di-20HE a d R-7HE. I have three sine wave outs and use two of them. I do not have square wave out.

I have no trouble with the 3.3vpp AT ALL. The seller explained that the average output is really lower than that. It is some complex scientific calculation I do not understand.

Regarding the CLK out on the DI20HE- I have never used it and do not understand what it is for.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,408 of 5,351
Damn it I screwed up. I ordered wireworld ultraviolet 7 bnc cable to go from u1 mini to di20he but then just realized di20he doesn't have bnc input. ARGH.

Should I order an adapter or just buy an RCA cable now?

Just get a RCA to BNC adapter
https://www.ebay.com/c/132081057
Hook it up to one end of the cable & use it as a coax cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back