Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 16, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #991 of 5,351
I went straight to the top and got the Platinum 7, which is probably overkill for my SU-6 to R-28 setup. Just didn’t want to keep upgrading HDMI cables. The second hand (cryo treated from Audio Sensibility) Neotech 4200 I previously used was a great bargain, but the Platinum brought a noticeable improvement in resolution, clarity, and spatial... cohesion, if you could call it that. More betterer. Not quite the jump as from going from the TCXOs to Accusilicon 90/98M clocks, but kind of a similar, positive shift.

Do you know where to get this cable in .3 or .5 meter?

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #992 of 5,351
Does anyone know if the quality of the 50ohm BNC between OXCO and DI-20HE makes a difference? There are 50ohm BNC cables for $5 and for $2000. Any recommendations? Is a pure OCC silver BNC cable overkill for this application or will it effect the sonics?

As long as You get the correct cable type 50 Ohm's and the correct connectors on it You should be fine transfer a sine wave pulse. With square wave You should buy a TRUE 50 Ohm BNC cable. Cybershaft sells a semi rigid cable based on RG402 and all cables delivers with a individual test protocol. Decent money. If silver does anything good here, I don't know. On the 75 Ohm side for TRUE spec cables... There are crazy expensive around. I know that the Oyaide DB510 0.7 m (silver 75 Ohm) are used and working well. In this case the choice was made because the Oyaide was relative inexpensive compared. If the silver have any impact on the sound...I don't know

The important thing with clock transfer is the correct impedance to not get ringings. The pulse must be "undamaged". For digital transfer (SPDIF+I2S over HDMI..) silver definately has an impact

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #994 of 5,351
There is an audio bacon write up on the mute R10 which insists che 50ohm cable makes a big difference.. He checked many cables and says the strongly effect tone

Yes, different cables have different charactaristics. Many times it is deviation from a TRUE spec that does it.
I found the article from Audio Bacon: "...Now, technically these cables shouldn’t have an impact on the signal, just the timing. But each cable has it’s own resistance, inductance, and capacitance (they’re not zero)…so that sonic footprint will carry over.". I don't find any reason to argue against that.

When I get my REF10 I will test cables with it. I have invested in a TRUE spec 75 Ohm just to have a correct electrical specified cable to compare to. For 50 Ohm I have mil spec cables. I hope my scope can show the differencies between the types.

/J

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #996 of 5,351
I stopped searching after i got the Belkin. It is not a bottleneck in my system. My ocxo unit possibly is or the txcos inside the r7he.

I have the belkin. the chroma 7, and the Moshou 2.1

The Moshou which is occ silver plated has the crispest most vivid sound- period. The Chroma to my ears is the most transparent, natural, and smooth and is also the warmest of the three. The Belkin is in the middle. I prefer the Moshou at this point because it is brighter and fuller sounding than the others but I do believe it is the most coloured.

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #997 of 5,351
I have the belkin. the chroma 7, and the Moshou 2.1

The Moshou which is occ silver plated has the crispest most vivid sound- period. The Chroma to my ears is the most transparent, natural, and smooth and is also the warmest of the three. The Belkin is in the middle. I prefer the Moshou at this point because it is brighter and fuller sounding than the others but I do believe it is the most coloured.
I prefer giving the tonality through analog cables. When a digital connection is right, you get the deepest tightest bass and the smoothest highs. Then you can adjust the analog cables. To each his approach.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #998 of 5,351
I received my double oven OXCO (Morion MV89a) clock today. It was custom built for me by "queens land"; a seller on ebay. He used the 2009 OXCO which he said has the best specs. He also made sure it had three Sine Wave 50ohm outputs. One for the DI-20HE; one for the R-7HE and one if I ever want to use my SOTM tx-usbultra with an external clock. Cost was $350.

Additionally, he built a beautiful casing around it for an extra $15;- it looks so professional.

Sonic results? To compare this clock to the built in clock is literally a joke. The transparency and detail retrieval of my system jumped several notches and blew away the other two double oven OXCO's I bought on ebay a month ago.. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. His customer service was excellent as well.

Connecting the clock to the DI-20HE and the R-7HE is noticably better than when the external clock is only connected to one of the two components.

If you have the DI-20HE and R-7HE---- get this clock for the ULTIMATE in transparency.......
Hi, Is this unit better than the off the shelf gustard c16 ? I guess only the R7 has the option for the external clock. I will be running R27 so it will be for the DI only.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #999 of 5,351
Hi,
Despite the corona restrictions around, the Mutec REF10 SE-120 has arrived now and it has around 1,5 h since powered up. It is feeding the DI20HE and a Gustard U16 on the two 50 Ohm outputs. I also have a Mutec MC3+USB that is fed with a 75 Ohm (Mutec True 75 Ohm BNC cable). The first hour was nothing special to nice and then a bit boomy...now back to pleasant .. This clock will probably need a couple of weeks as the other XO's I have followed maturing... We'll see. To be continued..

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,000 of 5,351
Hi,
Despite the corona restrictions around, the Mutec REF10 SE-120 has arrived now and it has around 1,5 h since powered up. It is feeding the DI20HE and a Gustard U16 on the two 50 Ohm outputs. I also have a Mutec MC3+USB that is fed with a 75 Ohm (Mutec True 75 Ohm BNC cable). The first hour was nothing special to nice and then a bit boomy...now back to pleasant .. This clock will probably need a couple of weeks as the other XO's I have followed maturing... We'll see. To be continued..

Hi! I would like to know how the DI20HE compare to MC-3+ USB? I have a MC-3+ USB, and previously had tried 2 units in serial, as well as connected to Ref10. The 2 units in serial was better than just 1. Just wondering if I should buy the second MC-3+ USB, or try another DDC like the DI20HE.

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,001 of 5,351
Hi! I would like to know how the DI20HE compare to MC-3+ USB? I have a MC-3+ USB, and previously had tried 2 units in serial, as well as connected to Ref10. The 2 units in serial was better than just 1. Just wondering if I should buy the second MC-3+ USB, or try another DDC like the DI20HE.

Hi,
I started by getting rid of the switched PSU in the MC3+USB. It was clean and a bit artificial sounding on its own 1GHz XO. With the Oscilloquartz as EXT XO it was much better...but after replacing the switched PSU with an Ultra Silent LPS (5V 3A) the MC3+USB climbed up to a higher league. After that it was equally good as the DI. They both are winners now. The DI has HDMI output supporting "all formats" PCM+ DSD. It also has the S/P DIF coax that supports DoP besides the PCM. The MC3+USB reclocks streams from S/P DIF, TOSLINK, and AES/EBU. and converts DSD material. It has limitation on 192 kHz for PCM. It can handle DSD (WIndows) and DoP (Linux) and converts it to a first class PCM stream.
I have no idea of how good the "standard" REF10 is. I decided to "kill" this OCXO hunt by a real high end, refined unit.
I understand why Mutec uses the switched PSU....but it is degrading the units potential. My REF10 SE-120 has 25 hours powered on now and both the DI20HE and the MC3+USB are answering well on the new Master clock. It is still very early in the maturing process but it is possible to get glimts of what this will give when its settled in a few weeks.
To sum up. The MC3+USB is a pretty locked down unit. Rigid and professional. After PSU-change... - For me it is an 100% useful unit with restoring (reclocking) a pretty dull and tired S/P DIF signal from an otherwise excellent CD player. The automatic DSD/DoP to PCM conversion is spot on what I need to feed my TDA1541AS2 dac with. Brilliant stuff for me.

I suggest You to go with Kingwa and the DI20HE. It is future proof and excellent sounding. Add at least an Oscilloquartz, Morion or similar EXT XO to it and You will find Yourself smiling, listening to Your music
/Jan

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,004 of 5,351
Hi,
I started by getting rid of the switched PSU in the MC3+USB. It was clean and a bit artificial sounding on its own 1GHz XO. With the Oscilloquartz as EXT XO it was much better...but after replacing the switched PSU with an Ultra Silent LPS (5V 3A) the MC3+USB climbed up to a higher league. After that it was equally good as the DI. They both are winners now. The DI has HDMI output supporting "all formats" PCM+ DSD. It also has the S/P DIF coax that supports DoP besides the PCM. The MC3+USB reclocks streams from S/P DIF, TOSLINK, and AES/EBU. and converts DSD material. It has limitation on 192 kHz for PCM. It can handle DSD (WIndows) and DoP (Linux) and converts it to a first class PCM stream.
I have no idea of how good the "standard" REF10 is. I decided to "kill" this OCXO hunt by a real high end, refined unit.
I understand why Mutec uses the switched PSU....but it is degrading the units potential. My REF10 SE-120 has 25 hours powered on now and both the DI20HE and the MC3+USB are answering well on the new Master clock. It is still very early in the maturing process but it is possible to get glimts of what this will give when its settled in a few weeks.
To sum up. The MC3+USB is a pretty locked down unit. Rigid and professional. After PSU-change... - For me it is an 100% useful unit with restoring (reclocking) a pretty dull and tired S/P DIF signal from an otherwise excellent CD player. The automatic DSD/DoP to PCM conversion is spot on what I need to feed my TDA1541AS2 dac with. Brilliant stuff for me.

I suggest You to go with Kingwa and the DI20HE. It is future proof and excellent sounding. Add at least an Oscilloquartz, Morion or similar EXT XO to it and You will find Yourself smiling, listening to Your music
/Jan

Many thanks on your very detailed opinion. I thought about upgrading the SMPS with Paul Hynes LPS too, but heard that the delivery takes a while. Mutec distributor here is a friend, so I had Ref10 at my place for nearly 3 weeks (I helped my friend burn in the unit lol). After may be 10 days, the Ref10 sounded quite a bit better. So I am sure you will enjoy your SE120 a bit more after a while. For me, the SE120 is coming in about 6 weeks I was told. But my experience with the basic Ref10 was not too spectacular. Connected to MC-3+ USB, I heard may be 5% improvement. I had better result connecting Ref10 with SoTM network switch. Streaming Tidal was probably 10% better over standard full option SoTM switch.
Are you using both the MC-3 and DI20HE at the same time? I mean in serial. Or are you using them on 2 different sources, or one at a time?
I will get the SE120 when it comes. But still deciding whether to upgrade the MC-3+ USB SMPS to LPS, or to sell it and buy the DI20HE to use with the SE120 instead.
I use Aurender N10 and Brinkmann Nyquist mk2. Previously, I only got best sound using AES output. So the Mc-3+ USB was used to reclock AES signal. But now, I am using a very good USB cable which sound as good as AES, so I am no longer limited to USB interface. This makes the DI20HE an interesting option.
Also heard that Denafrips will release their new DDC in May. Not sure how it will perform, but it is also a very attractive option.

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,005 of 5,351
Not sure what You mean..? I still use the DI20HE and since january also the MC3+USB.... On the Power feed I use a medical grade UPS for the low level equipment (Pre, Dacs, DI, MC3, OCXO's)

I thought you have a regen iso before your di-20.

on another note I would appreciate a full report on the mutec clock. These oxcos increase transparency and detail noticably but the sound is thinner and perhaps a bit clinical. I understand the ref10 is very full sounding, which is to my liking and I am curious if the 120 is also full bodied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back