Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #978 of 5,348
Hi guys, I have purchased R27 and DI 20. Items will be arriving in a week's period of time.

Newbie to this forum so please help me with understanding the setup the clock.

I see a lot of discussion on the clock, how do you connect this?

1. USB + outside clock to input to DI 20 and output will I2S to DAC to R27?

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #979 of 5,348
Hi guys, I have purchased R27 and DI 20. Items will be arriving in a week's period of time.

Newbie to this forum so please help me with understanding the setup the clock.

I see a lot of discussion on the clock, how do you connect this?

1. USB + outside clock to input to DI 20 and output will I2S to DAC to R27?
Hi,
You have to get a decent external Oscillator that produces 10 MHz sine- or squarewave and has a 50 Ohm BNC output of 0.3 to 3.3 V. This EXT XO has to be connected to the 10MHz input on Your DI. After that You have two options to connect to the R27. I2S/HDMI and SPDIF (coax 75 Ohm). Keep HDMI short (0.3-0.5m). SPDIF should be around 1 meter. (~1.2m is optimum due to risk of reflections when too short). All these cables should be of good quality. Also the 50 Ohm should also be of good quality.

Forum members here can surely help You find good cable choices for reasonable money.
/Jan

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #980 of 5,348
Hi,
You have to get a decent external Oscillator that produces 10 MHz sine- or squarewave and has a 50 Ohm BNC output of 0.3 to 3.3 V. This EXT XO has to be connected to the 10MHz input on Your DI. After that You have two options to connect to the R27. I2S/HDMI and SPDIF (coax 75 Ohm). Keep HDMI short (0.3-0.5m). SPDIF should be around 1 meter. (~1.2m is optimum due to risk of reflections when too short). All these cables should be of good quality. Also the 50 Ohm should also be of good quality.

Forum members here can surely help You find good cable choices for reasonable money.
/Jan

Thank you. very helpful. I am thinking to try out C16. Does anyone in forum has R27 that can share the impression?

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #983 of 5,348
I cannot say. I haven't any experience of the C16 or the Cybershaft. What I know is that the Japanese company Cybershaft are specilized in making high end XO's. In fact among the best You can get. They know their game, so to say.

A very important value to look for is "phase noise". I should be as low as possible at 1Hz, 10Hz and 100Hz. Most imortant is 1Hz and < -100dBc is a good start. Lower numbers here will cost much more money. Exponential curve. Cybershaft write these numbers for us to read. Gustard doesn't as far as I know. People here may have had better luck than me finding them.

Edit. Found it. -100dBc/1Hz for the C16 https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000089315374.html
"Near-end phase noise @1Hz(TYP): -100dBc
Short Stable (Allen Variance) (TYP): 2E-12"

/Jan

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #984 of 5,348
I cannot say. I haven't any experience of the C16 or the Cybershaft. What I know is that the Japanese company Cybershaft are specilized in making high end XO's. In fact among the best You can get. They know their game, so to say.

A very important value to look for is "phase noise". I should be as low as possible at 1Hz, 10Hz and 100Hz. Most imortant is 1Hz and < -100dBc is a good start. Lower numbers here will cost much more money. Exponential curve. Cybershaft write these numbers for us to read. Gustard doesn't as far as I know. People here may have had better luck than me finding them.

Edit. Found it. -100dBc/1Hz for the C16 https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000089315374.html
"Near-end phase noise @1Hz(TYP): -100dBc
Short Stable (Allen Variance) (TYP): 2E-12"

/Jan
So the Cybershaft device is,
phase noise: -105dBc / Hz or less at offset 1Hz -128dBc / Hz or less at offset 10Hz
Allan dispersion Short-term stability Reference value TAU = 1sec 1.5E-12 or less (0.0015ppb / s) .

Not sure how much improvement that is over C16.

From Kingwa,

I have the Gustard C16 and tried it with the DI, with the C16 sound is a little better on transparency and detail , it may better for classis music listen, without the C16, sound is smoother it better for the voical listen in my mind.
I think you can try the Di and R27 with a good HDMI cable at first.
Kingwa

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #985 of 5,348
Has anyone tried the wire world Platinum 7 HDMI?

I went straight to the top and got the Platinum 7, which is probably overkill for my SU-6 to R-28 setup. Just didn’t want to keep upgrading HDMI cables. The second hand (cryo treated from Audio Sensibility) Neotech 4200 I previously used was a great bargain, but the Platinum brought a noticeable improvement in resolution, clarity, and spatial... cohesion, if you could call it that. More betterer. Not quite the jump as from going from the TCXOs to Accusilicon 90/98M clocks, but kind of a similar, positive shift.

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #986 of 5,348
I went straight to the top and got the Platinum 7, which is probably overkill for my SU-6 to R-28 setup. Just didn’t want to keep upgrading HDMI cables. The second hand (cryo treated from Audio Sensibility) Neotech 4200 I previously used was a great bargain, but the Platinum brought a noticeable improvement in resolution, clarity, and spatial... cohesion, if you could call it that. More betterer. Not quite the jump as from going from the TCXOs to Accusilicon 90/98M clocks, but kind of a similar, positive shift.

Wireworld Silver Starlight 5.2 Reference Standard HDMI Cable 2.0m , would this be good enough? 2 M length will have an impact?

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #987 of 5,348
2 M length will have an impact?
[/QUOTE

Yes, I2S over a HDMI cable with that length is going to pick up interferences. I2S is an "inside chassie" digital transfer methode that never was intended to go distanses between gears. Inside a shielded chassie it is working fine as jumps between circuit boards. Try to consolidate Your gears and keep the cables for HDMI and 10MHz short (0.3-0.5m). SPDIF is a professional serial signal transfer that is more robust to transfer longer distances. Keep high cable quality. And finally, for the 10MHz XO input-output, try to get a true 50 Ohm cable.

You can do what You like but my recommendations are to not degrade the performance You soon will have potential to. I think it is a bad idea to buy rather costly stuff and degrade them. You decide, of course.
/J

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #988 of 5,348
Wireworld Silver Starlight 5.2 Reference Standard HDMI Cable 2.0m , would this be good enough? 2 M length will have an impact?
I once tested a 1M WW Starlight to a 0.3M Starlight, same model and year. The 1M worked, but seemed less coherent than the 0.3M.
IIRC, the longest HDMI cable I saw that was made and marketed specifically for i2s was 1M.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #990 of 5,348
Does anyone know if the quality of the 50ohm BNC between OXCO and DI-20HE makes a difference? There are 50ohm BNC cables for $5 and for $2000. Any recommendations? Is a pure OCC silver BNC cable overkill for this application or will it effect the sonics?

Also- Wireworld claims their best cable is the Platinum 7 which does not come in less than 1 meter length. Any recommendations for a SILVER HDMI which is shorter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back