Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #706 of 5,348
ah, but the brand is of a fool's concern. The real question is how long must said foil be placed in the freezer before application.

yes @FredA I'd also like to take this moment to thank you for recommending this cable that you definitely got before me
Actually,Victor, i recog, you suggested the cable. I promoted it big time so it passes as my idea.You are Tesla, i am Edison. I am an a.h....Sorry.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #708 of 5,348
yes @FredA I'd also like to take this moment to thank you for recommending this cable that you definitely got before me

Now I feel bad... didn't realize that you mentioned it first, we will cut the cable of the year 2020 award in half and give to both of you. cant have anyone left out...

better buy someones used U16 so you can throw that at the screen instead...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #710 of 5,348
As I am listening to my DI-20HE, connected to an Auralic Aries G2 via Curious cable usb to DI—in parallel mode, connected to a Gustard C16, external clock mode chosen on DI—-HDMI out to PS Audio Directstream Dac....every so often: it can be intervals from 60 seconds to 4-5 minutes... I get a very brief but extremely noticeable sonic anomaly that lasts about a second or less. This sounds as I’ve described earlier as a moment of out of phase/blur of soundstage/where a distinct sonic image in front of me has now gone extreme left and right outside the plane of the speakers. It is very distracting as one who likes to listen with his eyes closed, concentrating on the musical presentation, that just goes wonky for a moment. When this happens several times in a 5 minute period, it ruins my listening experience. Last night I tried the series mode, and listen for approx. 5 minutes...I did not notice the phase anomaly, but due to the vast sonic difference in my system using series mode...NOT MY PREFERENCE...I switched back toParallel mode quite quickly. Someone suggested it might be my HDMI...but I kind of doubt that. Hopefully Kingwa can determine the cause and issue a solution.
I suggested the Belden hdmi not to fix the external clock issue, but cause i think, unless you own some really outrageously pricey and recent hdmi cable, it should give you an upgrade that will make your listening experience significantly more enjoyable even in serial mode for less than 20$.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #712 of 5,348
Thanks Fred, I ordered one this morning. Regarding length: is anyone using one of the Belden HDMI's longer than 1 ft.? I am completely aware that in the case of HDMI for digital audio...the shorter the better. Unfortunately I need a little more than a foot, so I ordered a 2 footer, with some hesitation. Although at the price they sell for, not a high risk.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #714 of 5,348
Thanks Fred, I ordered one this morning. Regarding length: is anyone using one of the Belden HDMI's longer than 1 ft.? I am completely aware that in the case of HDMI for digital audio...the shorter the better. Unfortunately I need a little more than a foot, so I ordered a 2 footer, with some hesitation. Although at the price they sell for, not a high risk.
Maybe another person did, not sure. I have the 0.3m, but wanted the 0.6. 0.3 is barely long enough. But i am so happy with the result that i don't care for longer.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #716 of 5,348
Still following this thread closely, and debating whether or not get one of these to replace my Gustard U12...
Couple quick questions:
1. Has anyone by any chance compare the DI-20 or DI-20HE to the Gustard U12? I know it is a long shot, but maybe not really since functionally both solve the same problem...
2. On the DI-20 (or DI-20HE) - anyone here A/B the SPDIF (Coax) to the AES? My DAC does not have I2S, so those are the only 2 options for me.
3. Lastly (for now :wink:) did anyone A/B the Di-20 to the DI-20HE? I know several people here have both! Assuming I move forward - I am debating whether the $440 delta for the HE is worth it (compared to the 90/98 top spec non-HE) or whether I should use this cash for better USB cable or power cable?

I realize a lot is subjective and DAC (or other component in the chain) dependent. Still, people's experience and subjective opinions are very valuable!!

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #717 of 5,348
Still following this thread closely, and debating whether or not get one of these to replace my Gustard U12...
Couple quick questions:
1. Has anyone by any chance compare the DI-20 or DI-20HE to the Gustard U12? I know it is a long shot, but maybe not really since functionally both solve the same problem...
2. On the DI-20 (or DI-20HE) - anyone here A/B the SPDIF (Coax) to the AES? My DAC does not have I2S, so those are the only 2 options for me.
3. Lastly (for now :wink:) did anyone A/B the Di-20 to the DI-20HE? I know several people here have both! Assuming I move forward - I am debating whether the $440 delta for the HE is worth it (compared to the 90/98 top spec non-HE) or whether I should use this cash for better USB cable or power cable?

I realize a lot is subjective and DAC (or other component in the chain) dependent. Still, people's experience and subjective opinions are very valuable!!

1. The u16 beats the u12 which in turn is beaten by both di20 versions.
2. So far, aes/ebu is winning with the dh labs d110, but i would be curious to compare it with the new dh labs d-750 75ohms bnc cable
3. One of us has both and will come back with the answer at some point.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #718 of 5,348
Couple quick questions:

Hi Zachik, I can answer #1 based on my experience of owning both the U12 and a DI-20 (non-HE). Firstly, from a usability standpoint, the DI-20 is plug and play with the Amanero driver I previously installed for my R8. No issues with firmware, no glitches - just 100% music. The build of the DI-20 is much more robust and solid. I love the large display and the easy switching of functions. As far as the sound qualities, I find the U16 to be accurate, but dry in comparison to the DI-20. The U16 is quite good, but the DI-20 is much better and soundstage three-dimensionality, bottom-to-top extension, tightness of bass, musical flow, and body. I have about 500 hours on the DI-20 and the sound is still improving. I was listening to Autumn Leaves - Jacintha, and for the first time in my system, her voice was actually in front of the speaker plane. I had never experienced that before. Previously, I was able to get good depth and width of the soundstage, but all performers shared the same lateral plane. Last night was the first time on good recordings where the performer(s) were in front of the instruments, that I was able to get that 3-D realism of soundstage.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #719 of 5,348
for the first time in my system, her voice was actually in front of the speaker plane. I had never experienced that before. Previously, I was able to get good depth and width of the soundstage, but all performers shared the same lateral plane. Last night was the first time on good recordings where the performer(s) were in front of the instruments, that I was able to get that 3-D realism of soundstage.

That summarize what I felt the most changing the U16 with the DI-20 (non HE version). Better layering and 3D soundstage.

Other things also improved, like palpability of voices and bass.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #720 of 5,348
@Zachik
I have only 320 hours on my DI-20HE connected to my M7S but so far I don't hear a difference most of the time between the BNC or RCA or AES inputs. When I think I hear a difference it is so small that I can't pin down what the difference is so I don't think my impressions are reliable in these instances. Some users finding a difference might be using different brands or models of cables in their comparisons which could make it a cable difference instead of an input difference. The three cables I'm using are all Audio Sensibility Statement OCC 7N silver cables so maybe that is why I don't hear a difference between the BNC or RCA or AES inputs. The difference that I hear on my unit is the I2S HDMI connection but then I'm using a DH Labs cable instead of an Audio Sensibility. So, is it cable or input difference? Ya got me! As you said, it's all subjective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back