Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #466 of 5,348
My system, with the DI-20 with only about 72 hs of burning, is doing things I think I never heard from it. It reminds me when some of you said voices were "spooky" real. Also the speakers disappear more and there's an improved layering and soundstage. Im very pleased with my still not fully burned DI-20.

I cant wait for my Audioquest Niagara 1200 to arrive in the following days!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #469 of 5,348
After reading this entire thread, I am convinced to ditch buggy U16 and move on to the greener pastures. Some of you may remember me, I was the one posted Ext. 10mhz GPSDO Clock which I will continue to use, my question is is there even a reason for me to get 90/98m or TCXO version will do just fine?

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #470 of 5,348
After reading this entire thread, I am convinced to ditch buggy U16 and move on to the greener pastures. Some of you may remember me, I was the one posted Ext. 10mhz GPSDO Clock which I will continue to use, my question is is there even a reason for me to get 90/98m or TCXO version will do just fine?

You should take the Accusilicon 90/98 alternative. Their phase noise and jitter levels are far superior to the TCXO's. Very much impacting on the sound and well worth the extra money.
/Jan

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #471 of 5,348
I just- by trial and error found out something very positive about the DI-20HE. I have a USB cable that has two USB A connectors- one is "V Bus" and one is "Data". I just disconnected the V-bus and the Di-20HE still works. That mean s No computer noise as only data without power is transferring from the computer.

Dec 26, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #474 of 5,348
jimmychan siad it...if I understand it right, the DI-20/HE have a kind of „galvanic isolated“ USB port.

I can’t wait until the End of January to complete my system with a DI-20HE!
Not exactly true. It has galvanic isolation between the usb side and the signal side, like the Singxers products. It remains true that the di20he will sound better when fed a clean usb signal, like every ddc out there i know of.

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #475 of 5,348
Not exactly true. It has galvanic isolation between the usb side and the signal side, like the Singxers products. It remains true that the di20he will sound better when fed a clean usb signal, like every ddc out there i know of.

Thank you for the enlightenment, I already feared that I didn‘t understand it correctly.

Now I hope that the outcoming usb signal of my Auralic Aries G1 is clean so that I don’t regret having already sold my micro iUSB3.0 with Gemini & Mercury cables.

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #476 of 5,348
Thank you for the enlightenment, I already feared that I didn‘t understand it correctly.

Now I hope that the outcoming usb signal of my Auralic Aries G1 is clean so that I don’t regret having already sold my micro iUSB3.0 with Gemini & Mercury cables.
For the money Aurilic is asking, i sure hope it is.

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #477 of 5,348
DI20 does not need 5V power from the USB cable.
thank you for pointing that out -- I confirmed that much by testing with a cable that let's me lift the 5v pin. But I preferred listening with the w4s recovery so I guess that suggests it's the reclocking and filtering aspect of the w4s and not the clean power feed. For kicks I'll try the Intona in place of the w4s (even though the di20 should already have the galvanic isolation).

iUSB3.0 with Gemini & Mercury cables.
wow I had that trio years ago. I recall their cables having a very wide stage but leaving a giant whole in the middle (very stereo sounding). I followed the iUSB3.0 with the iGalvanic but found that even more heavy handed, like it was remastering my music in real time. The w4s had the lightest touch. These inline USB accouterments are necessary for laptops but if you have a free PCIe slot then I would think the USB cards from Sotm/JCAT/PinkFaun would be the way to go (no second USB cable needed).

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #479 of 5,348
Hello guys
I've got my DI-20 (non HE) and, after 24 hs of burning, I tried it against the U16.

Its fair to mention that with so many changes in the last weeks (R8 firmware last weekend for instance), its hard to be 100% sure about the changes in sound, but I think the differences were there, easy to detect, so I post this. I've found that the DI-20, with only 24 hs of burning, has bigger soundstage, more details and better bass than the U16.

Also I've found that I like better the internal Accusilicons 90/98 over my external budget chinese OCXO.

Finally, Kingwa told me that the DI-20 can burn in just leaving it power on. There's no need for play music through it.
I just got my DI-20 today and got it plugged into my PS Audio Power Plant. I’ve got about 10 hours on it and haven’t done any serious listening, but just the couple of times I stopped to listen, it was already beating my U16. The DI-20 soundstage is much wider and deeper as well as taller in a more realistic sense. Vocals seem to be on their plane, when there in the recordings. Burning this thing in is going to be fun. A great Christmas gift to myself.

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #480 of 5,348
Still in the process of burning-in the DI-20.
Last night I opened the DAC and the C-2 amp, and kept the volume to 00 as Fred said about NFB-1AMP in the C-2 11A and NFB-1AMP thread. This morning, for the same song, volume 26 can reach the previous level of 30. The musicality, sound stage and airy feel come back. But the resolution is still on 60%-80% level of the previous shining impression.

The resolution comes back. Now everything comes back. (BTW, the resolution of K702 on C-2 amp is a bit better than Q701.)
I will keep burning in the DI-20 until it got over 500 hours by leaving the source and DI-20 on and others off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back