Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,036 of 5,351
Hello all,

I ordered a DI-20HE on March 17th and received it on the east coast of USA on the morning of March 26th, which I think is incredible under the circumstances!

This is my first Audio GD product purchase and I had a number of questions regarding interfacing the HDMI output to my Metrum Dac which has RJ-45 I2S Input. I cannot say better things about the customer service that I have received from Kingwa. It was above and beyond what I expected from any company, let alone one in another country half way around the world.

The DI-20 is burning in and I haven’t listened to it as yet, but will post my impressions once I get an idea of it’s performance.

Kingwa confirmed my unit has the 3.9 firmware installed, but updates was a thing that I did not consider before. I am using a Mac mini running Audirvana. Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to update the firmware in the future? Do I have to install a Windows partition in order to install USB blaster or is there a similar product available for the MAC OS?

Thanks,

Lou D
Wilton, NH

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,037 of 5,351
Day 2 - R27 with DI20 is amazing only 3 hrs since yesterday but still awesome Dac + Pre.

Attachments

• R27.jpg
    R27.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,038 of 5,351
Kingwa confirmed my unit has the 3.9 firmware installed, but updates was a thing that I did not consider before. I am using a Mac mini running Audirvana. Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to update the firmware in the future? Do I have to install a Windows partition in order to install USB blaster or is there a similar product available for the MAC OS?

Thanks,

Lou D
Wilton, NH

You will need a usb blaster. Anyone got one recently to suggest?

Also you need to register on altera website and download the Quartus programmer distribution. You don't need the big Quartus zip file, just the small distribution for the programmer. This is only available for Windows.

Mar 27, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,040 of 5,351
THIS is what the Amber3's USB input sounded like.
It's like someone cracked open my DI and removed jumpers "homogeneous" and "congealed".
My dynamics increased at least 1 or 2dBs. If your heavy on the silver you may need to dial it back to enjoy this.
Brutal separation and delineation. There's 6ft social distancing between performers.
Lots of speed and air. I'm still in NOS mode but I'm hearing the strengths of OS.
I don't recall a FW change ever being this profound on the r2r7. Where the hell is @FredA?
I thought that I was losing my mind when I first upgraded the firmware on my DI-20 because of the volume increase. I agree with you on at least 1 - 2 dB increase. The soundstage width and depth increased drastically as well.

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,041 of 5,351
Mar 28, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #1,043 of 5,351
Thanks to all people here experience, I finally ended my hopefully final configuration: Aries G1--DI-20HE--R7-HE 2020. Both Audio gd are used with external 10M Mutec Ref 10.All digital cables are Audioquest diamond silver.
It's just 3 days that system is complete and running, but I can share first impressions.
The general focus and finesse of high and mid frequencies are greatly improved, as a silver knife after a good clean. But mainly I'm impressed by bass region, that now is much tighter, fast and deep. The image picture improved too, with a greater sense of deepness. At night, with eyes closed, I can clearly feel the dimensions of the concert hall!
I'll try to attach a pic of my system.
Thanks to all of you!

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,046 of 5,351
You have reached the promised land, it seems. The 10M clock input sure makes a difference. Do you use serial mode or parallel?
After a brief test of both, now I seem prefere parallel. Much focused. Bass is not less apparently, probably just tighter. The impression is funny: at first it seems lacking body and deepness, but when music lash and hit deep, all the needed power appears, slamming without mud. My klipsch are critical in this sense...cruel in showing right and wrong. If something doesn't work they rap it out without forgiveness.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,048 of 5,351
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,050 of 5,351
I cannot get my windows computer to recognize my USB Blaster to do the firmware update. I went to printers and devices and it claims it is missing the drivers. I try to update drivers and my computer claims it cannot find them for this device.

How do I get the drivers for my USB blaster using windows 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back