Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,607 of 5,348
Also, as mentioned earlier, the issue disappears once I plug my other interfaces back in.

Phil
How low is the latency. Can you change the latency on the Innous. I have mine around 1000 buffer size. Try medium, if no option turn it off and see.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #4,610 of 5,348
Hi all,

I'm the chap that bought the the DI20HE off Mark.

Thanks for helping trouble shoot this issue.

So to answer a few questions,
  • All the boxes are plugged into the same good quality distribution block
  • Low latency mode is enabled on the Innuos
  • Ethernet cable is I believe Cat6
  • Usb cable is Chord company (can't remember model number but cost £200 originally)
  • Spdif cables are Mogami 75ohm with canare 75ohm RCA connectors and an Audio Note UK lexus interconnect.
  • DI20HE is set to parallel mode
Something to note is that the noise seems to be in a certain hz range, mids/upper mids while the rest is clear, the hash also moves along with the music (ie, not one constant level).

I'll try another power cable to the DI20HE tonight.
Is there anything else (simple) that I've missed that could help solve the issue?

Thanks again for your help and to Mark for helping sort this issue. Sonically I'm very happy until this hash/white noise happens.

Phil
Install the version of Amanero fw that is optimized for linux. Assuming the streamer is linux-based. It can be a bit tricky.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #4,612 of 5,348
You need a pc running Windows.

Then click on this link on audio-gd to download the file and procedure

http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmware/AmaneroforLinuxEN.htmH

Within the update guide, it is said to short pins on the Amanero board to erase the fw. You need only to push the button next to the update port on the back plate while the unit is on. Beware of doing this by accident.

Try this as last attempt, cause if the update can’t be performed, the di20he won’t work after the erasure. It is normally not needed to do this so try everything else first.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #4,614 of 5,348
I assume FredA must be referring to the streamer side, since the comb384 on DI20 is UAC2 complient, I don't think you need any driver for Linux
Yes this is true. It even works out of the box with straight to NAS(Synology, Linux) :wink:

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,615 of 5,348
Righto,

I've finished work, switched everything on and the hash was present straight away, no taking 15 minutes to appear.

So I then disconnected the unit and have tried the following -

• changed the power cord - no difference
  • disconnected the network switch and it's smps - no difference
  • Changed my cables again, various configurations - no difference
  • I've been around the house and switched off the fairy lights my other half likes to leave on 🙄 - no difference
If anything the the hash seems to be getting more prominent.

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #4,617 of 5,348
Now it's working perfectly, What!

I had tried several tracks of various sample rates and the hash was atrocious. Then after a 15 minute break (everything powered up) I tried another 24/48 track and perfect!

I just don't get it.
Ok good. Dont you have other DACs to test it with?
-Sorry if you already tried it.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #4,618 of 5,348
There is something strange here in the interaction between the Innuos and the DI20HE. The way I used the Di20 was as follows: Windows laptop with Roon + Qobuz + HQP, connected to the internet via ethernet cable (via a network switch). The laptop was connected to the DI20 via USB, and the DI20 was connected to my R72020 HE by either AES, SPDIF or i2s / HDMI (I used all three at different times). The DAC was connected to my preamp using XLRs.

In months of listening to this set up I didn't experience the issues mentioned by Pr155a1 at any point.

I recently acquired an Antipodes K22, and for a short time had it connected to the DI20 (obviously taking the laptop out of the chain). Again no issues.

Pr155a1 says that he has substituted the DI20 for a U18, and the issue doesn't appear. So it's something to do with the Innuos and DI20 connection. I just don't get what, because obviously at times it's working fine. Why on earth would it suddenly stop working?

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #4,619 of 5,348

I had tried several tracks of various sample rates and the hash was atrocious. Then after a 15 minute break (everything powered up) I tried another 24/48 track and perfect!

I just don't get it.
If it is repeating and 24/48 track can cure a noise, then problem is not between streamer and DI-20, but between DI-20 and a DAC. The old DAC may have problem synchronising to some (random) devices, is is known as a dead spoot on PLL. Is any setting on your DAC to increase PLL lock range?

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #4,620 of 5,348

I just don't get it.
It was probably the driver.

I had a similar issue when i tried to use an i2s hdmi cable from ddc to dac. I had to uninstall and reinstall the driver with the proper option selected on the dac and ddc before installing the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back