Audio-Gd DAC3: [DOA] - FIXED!
Oct 10, 2010 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

F1KERS

New Head-Fier
Hi Friends,

Recently just bought myself a DAC3 from Kingwa to complement my CIA400. I enjoy listening to Jazz, Pop music. Kingwa told me that the warm sounding DAC3 is suitable based on his experience and of course, it is subjective to everyone's taste.
Hence, ordered last month and waited for about 2 weeks before it arrives via EMS. Needless to say, I was very excited to listen the improvement the new DAC is going to sound in my system. Here is my setup before the DAC upgrade.

Both Kingwa and Edwin from Audio-gd kept me very well informed regarding the progress of my DAC and they are very kind to send me a pair of Encoders for my CIA400 Channel and Volume for free. Received an email from Edwin on 7th Oct, Thursday that my DAC has been shipped out on . Immediately, I went to check out the Consignment Tab under their website and it really feels damn good to see my name and DAC on the list dated 2010-10-06
http://www.audio-gd.com/ConsignmentGlobal.htm
as it implies that the DAC is on the way over!

As my friend who is using Audio-Gd DAC told me that usually it takes about a day or two to have it shipped, I was really expecting it to arrive on either Monday or Tuesday since my local post office doesn't ship on weekend...

Low and behold, after I came home from my school at night, I received a failed postage notice from Singpost. My mum left home at 1200hrs, and the deliveryman came at 1205hrs. Classic conincidence right? Determined to have my DAC burnt-in over the weekend and as a source to motivate me to do my revision for next week test and project deadlines, I called Singpost to ask if I can collect the article myself. They eventually called me back and told me it's possible if I go down to their Headquarter at the East Side before they close at 2100hrs. So... I fled down via MRT which took me about one hour plus as I stay at the West side. 

Going back with a 15kg is no easy feat but it’s worth it for the love of music. So I am back home physically tired but mentally energized with the unpacking. Picture tells the story..

Initially had wanted to change my UK 3pin plug double gang socket to Oyaide R1 Recepticle. However, it's gg to cost me a bomb as I am still studying. Fortunately, got to sold my Cardas Cable and R1 to 2 lucky owner.

Soooo.... With everything setup, what to expect is simply magic and life-like music right? Not quite so yet. This is the beginning of my nightmare...

No sound when I switched the sound control panel to Digital Audio (Spdif). Thus I optimistically thought, "okay... its the cable problem."
Switched the coax to the one that Kingwa gave me (BNC to RCA Coax). Still to no avail. FYI, I have asked numerous of my computer audiophile (Using AG DAC and equipment of course) friends to rectify the problem for me and I have switched my configuration to match theirs exactly. Still no sound.

Unplugging and changing cables connection cost me some time. Asking my friends around have cost me several hours. So the perception that - Wow, I am going to plug in the DAC and work on my project and study while grooving with great music is entirely a failed one. Its based on my friend's testimony that Audio-Gd product is superbly reliable that I invested on their CIA400. I had planned to review the DAC3 with CIA400

[size=10.0pt]Is that the end of the story? Nope… Relentless I am, I went on Saturday afternoon to my friend’s place and he is so very nice to lent me his BNC HiFace. Took bus and mrt home and prayerfully plugged into my system, installed their proprietary driver. Setup everything according to my friend’s prior system setup. Guess what? Still no sound… [/size]

[size=10.0pt]It is so unbelievable that I will ever receive a DOA DAC3 that I once again went back to my friend ‘s house. This time, with the heavy DAC3. My friend who was so confident that his HiFace would work that he was taken aback by the failed AG DAC. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The grand finale and moment of truth is soon to be revealed at my friend’s house as he is using AG DAC to hook up to his pc as well. Everything is set up the way it is as his prior configuration. With the same Windows 7 OS, bootup, setup the Sound Control Settings… Yup….[/size]
[size=10.0pt]NOOOOO SOUNDDDDDDD[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Frustration fills my head! Went through so much to find out that I have actually received a DOA Audio-Good DAC![/size]

[size=10.0pt]Wow… I have never heard of any DOA DAC so far and of course I am not pleased to find out that I am the one.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The choke slam is when I found out that I have bear the shipping charges to send the DOA DAC back to Kingwa and have him rectify if it is really the DAC fault. If it is, he will only reimburse the shipping fees that he initially shipped the brand new DAC to me which is 89USD. [/size]
[size=10.0pt]Found out from Singpost that the reasonable EMS shipping is a blood-spewing 200 over SGD! Which is about 180USD!!![/size]
I find it really unfair if I have bear the excess 100 over USD if I were to ship the item over. AG ships by bulk, thus it is definitely gonna be cheaper.

Here is their Gurantee Policy

[size=medium]Repair Guarantee[/size]

[size=10pt]         All Audio-GD gears comes with repair guarantee.
         We burn in all gears for more than 100 hours and check several times before shipping, to make sure that our products have a good quality control.

[/size][size=small]First year repair guarantee:[/size]
[size=10pt]         If the gears have any problems (manufacturing defects and which is not caused by the user), customers can ship back the gears, we will refund the shipping cost (customers must submit the shipping bill following which we will reimburse the amount to customers, please note that we will only refund shipping cost equal to what the customer had initially paid us for shipping the gears to them when placing the order). We will repair the defective gears for free and then ship back to customers, we will bear the full shipping cost back to them. 

[/size][size=10pt]Kindly note, that while shipping back gears for repairs, please declare the value of the gear as originally declared when we shipped the gear to you. We will only cover import duties (if applicable) on the original value declared by us when we shipped the gear to you.[/size][size=11pt] [/size]

That is once again being optimistic that the DAC is really deemed spoilt by Kingwa. Otherwise, goodluck bearing the thru and flo shipping charges which can buy you a another audio Device.

[size=10pt]I have emailed Kingwa and told me him that I have spent most of my fortune that I painstakingly saved up for his DAC3 and if he is agreeable to paypal me 200 over SGD for me to ship the DAC to him. However, he told me that he needs to verify if the DAC is really spoilt.[/size]

[size=10pt]Now, I have to sell my other pc parts to fund for the shipping fees. I am not happy. Brought me initially from heaven and dispelled me to the bottomless pit.[/size]

[size=10pt]Yup, after this post, I am going to do my project, presentation and revise my test with my “back to basic” setup again. Wonder what kingwa will do for making me go through so much…[/size]

Make no mistake, I still love their products tremendously. Just that their policy for DOA needs some better improvement or clarification. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 35
Yup I agree. Just trying my luck cuz I am really tied down by insufficient funds. I understand its not fair to Kingwa too. 
He just replied right after I sent him the photos of my internal part of the DAC. 1st Class Customer Service I've got to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 35
I'd agree that opening it up and looking for loose cables or connectors is something worth trying. Also although you have tried it on a second computer source I'd try hooking it up to the SPDIF output of a CD or DVD player. That being said you are being smacked in the head by the real issue with ordering from a company half way around the world. No company achieves a 0% failure rate, and when items must be shipped so far for repair it becomes very painful.

Good Luck

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 35
he already mentioned that he brought the dac to his friend's place and swapped in the dac3 but it didn't work, so the fault doesn't lie with the computer's spdif/usb side.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #11 of 35
Thanks ppl for your suggestion. So far I have checked throughly the internal parts. All are really top notched quality stuff and no loose parts at all. Sent several photos to let Kingwa verify and just
shipped my DAC back to him today. Looking really forward for the arrival of the repaired DAC.
@tim3320070: I have to get and arrange for the cheapest Singpost EMS delivery back to Kingwa. He said I have to ship back myself and wait to see if the dac really has got any problem before he reimburse me.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 35
Audio-Omega: No worries, Kingwa has been nice to provide me with the necessary info and steps to ship the DAC back

I just badly wanna hear his awesome DAC that's why I am so taken aback by a DOA DAC. 

Shall update once I get back the working DAC and have it burnt in before review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back