Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
Jan 4, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #76 of 438
Quote:
I cant say, though if youre gonna spend double just for XLR... lol, I dunno.

I know what you mean, too much for ....
blink.gif

I think I might be happy with the Compas 2.
Any impressions for the compass 2 and the HE-500?

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #77 of 438
Quote:
Why not Paypal? it very easy to create an account, and you have total control of how you transfer your funds in case something goes wrong with any seller.

Hi turkorocks,

I have a Hong Kong dollar account (I reside in Hong Kong) and Audio-gd also has a Hong Kong dollar account. The simple thing for me to do would be to waltz on over to their Mong Kok branch (Bank of China) this weekend and deposit the funds. My complication is that I'm on assignment in Beijing, China and it's a long walk to Hong Kong, besides it's really cold over here...
confused_face.gif

I've decided to get the Compass 2 and will be looking into seeing how to setup a Paypal account. Don't know how successful it'll be while in China as there might be some complications due to local regulations.

Steve

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #78 of 438
Quote:

Hi turkorocks,

I have a Hong Kong dollar account (I reside in Hong Kong) and Audio-gd also has a Hong Kong dollar account. The simple thing for me to do would be to waltz on over to their Mong Kok branch (Bank of China) this weekend and deposit the funds. My complication is that I'm on assignment in Beijing, China and it's a long walk to Hong Kong, besides it's really cold over here...
confused_face.gif

I've decided to get the Compass 2 and will be looking into seeing how to setup a Paypal account. Don't know how successful it'll be while in China as there might be some complications due to local regulations.

Steve

I see, please update us how it goes and what are your impressions when you get it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #79 of 438
Quote:
I see, please update us how it goes and what are your impressions when you get it.

Recently placed an order with Audio-GD for the Compass 2, will be getting the customized 2xTXCO, the OCC wire treatment and OPA-SUN, don't know if this makes much of an improvement to sound quality.

So the waiting game begins.

Think MLE will get his unit before me - so will be interested to read about his impressions. MLE's setup and customization will be different to mine so there'll be some differences in the sound quality.

Steve

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #80 of 438
I didn't get an Op-amp because that will only be for the Line In, which I plan to use only for my Mixamp, which won't benefit much from op-amp rolling. I will to test out the ODAC vs internal Compass 2 DAC, but only temporarily.

At least we'll have the same headphone.

EDIT: It's in Ohio right now. Come on baby!

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #81 of 438
Alright, got the Compass 2 in.

First things first...

I assume this piecve, that wasn't connected at all, belongs here, and is for the Fixed level output (which I want)? Where does the other end go, if it even goes anywhere?

Also...

This came in the package, but I have no idea what it is...

I do see an identical one on the USB chip...

I did order the TXCO upgrade, but I assumed it's already be installed. So what is it?

OH, it's the firmware chip...it seems. Wonder if I need to change it now, or if the one that is on is the newest one...

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #83 of 438
Ah, a regular jumper. Thanks. Needed to use a tweezer to be able to place it in.

So what is the LED for? I assume it's a replacement for the power LED...

Also, the firmware chip that was in the package, is it a new one to replace the one currently installed?

BTW, the Compass 2 sounds absolutely amazing. Both SPDIF and USB...

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #86 of 438
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #87 of 438
In all seriousness, I was missing the volume knob when I used the SA-31. It's so hard to go to digital buttons.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #88 of 438
Quote:
In all seriousness, I was missing the volume knob when I used the SA-31. It's so hard to go to digital buttons.

I know what you mean , as the NFB-27 was on my list but having no knob , killed it for me.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #89 of 438
MLE waiting for your review! Or more impressions! :D Seems like a good amp to get. Thinking of getting either this or the modi/magni or the o2/odac for my HE-400 that's shipping soon! Btw how does it work since it's a DAC+Pre-amp+Amp? Because I'm not too familiar if it's all in one package, I only know a bit about separate DACs and Amps like the modi/magni or o2/odac. Is it considered better to have them in one package or do u still use an external DAC with the Compass 2 and only use it as an amp? Pardon for my questions and lack of knowledge on this. Kinda just starting to get into the whole audiophile thing. Hope u can explain further, thanks!

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #90 of 438
Having owned the Modi/Magni as well as the ODAC (which I also used with the Magni and SA-31), I would TOTALLY go straight for the Compass 2. The Magni/Modi was slightly treble oriented (just a hint). The ODAC is wonderful, but comparing it to the inner DAC on the Compass 2, it sounded pretty identical, and you get the 32 bit options on the Compass 2, whereas the ODAC stops at 24/96.

I love the simplicity of having everything in one package. Less clutter, and cables. Yes, you can use your own DAC with the Compass 2 if you want (like testing the ODAC with the Compass 2's amp), and it has a fixed line out (for using as a DAC only for another amp which I find unnecessary unless you wanna try tube amps) or variable line out for something like speakers that don't have their own volume control (I hooked up my cheap desktop speakers to it which don't have their own volume control). In default, it's variable, so if you want fixed, you'll have to add a jumper (as mentioned on A-GD's website.) I say that unless you plan on using another amp, I'd leave it at variable.

The Compass 2 is full of energy and clarity. I honestly think it pairs up better with the HE-400 than the SA-31 did (I could swear the mids are clearer with the Compass 2). Of course, changes are subtle, but I really love the Compass 2 so far. The Magni and O2 are very neutral amps, while the Compass 2 is neutral with a hint of musicality/warmth. I much prefer to have some warmth. Trust me.

The initial setup (on the computer) is a bit of a pain, but not too hard.

This is my 3rd Audio-GD device, and I'm a true fan of Kingwa's stuff. I don't see myself getting another main amp/dac in the future, instead probably just getting a portable one for a laptop or something (like the E17...for the 3rd time, lol).

edit: Hmm, I may have to change from ES9018 direct to using the DIR module, as I'm getting some crackles here and there. It's a very rare occurence, but it did happen. Had a feeling my PC's sound card was gonna be a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

Setting the Compass 2 SPDIF input through DIR module or feed to ES9018 direct :
The Compass 2 have built in DIR module (Users can choice either DIR9001 and WM8805 install while place the order, in default install WM8805 and SPDIF feed to ES9018 direct ) .
Users can choice the SPDIF signal feed to either ES9018 direct and through DIR module with 3 jumpers setting , which is simply for users choice different sound flavors .
If match with low end PC sound card have large jitter cause the sound interrupt by feed to ES9018 direct, users can setting through DIR module for help . In default SPDIF feed to ES9018 direct

The setting guide:
1, Pull off the power cable at first .
2, Take off the top cover of the chassis.
3, Setting the jumpers .
4, Get back the top cover and push into the power cable tight .

I specifically asked for the DIR9001 as it's more neutral than the stock DIR chip. I guess I'll change it when I come home from shipping out the SA-31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back