Audio-GD C3 vs Phoenix
May 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pompon

500+ Head-Fier
I asked Kingwa the difference between the preamp C3 and the Phoenix ... He seem said they pretty close.
C3 have ACSS out till Phoenix don't have.

I am pretty please the Phoenix performance as preamp in my speaker system.

-The C3 only slight better than Phoenix is sound level, most at the background and smooth but the detail still here.
-C3 can replace the modules for different sound flavors while XLR and RCA input.
-Here is the modules available for C3.
-The different not much, so you can enjoy the Phoenix as a preamp if you like it.
-Kingwa

May 31, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 9
The phoenix have the BIG advantage of headphones outputs.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I am already usning my C39 as a preamp and headphone amp to drive my K701 and soon T1.

I think it is as good as Phoenix.

I was do the same with C39 but i swapped the output buffer to drine my D2K in XLR mode ,
but I don't think it's as good as Phoenix cause I been heard before at a-gd warehouse!
L3000.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Merry X'mas to all!
So has anyone actually tried driving headphones with the C3? How was it compared to the phoenix?
Which buffer would be more appropriate to generally drive any headphones?  e.g HD650,800,LCD2 

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 9
I´ve heard the C3 can be ordered with headphone out via two XLR´s. Then I wouldn´t be suprised if it outperforms the Phoenix :) Send Kingwa an email and ask...

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 9
yes, kingwa said we ll have to balanced our headphones first and plug it via the XLRs out with the c3 or c39, with a change of the output buffer as well.  Just wanted a first hand infos from anyone who have tried it, contemplating which is more feasible, c3 or phoenix or c39?

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've emailed Kingwa to determine if I can use the C-3 to drive my headphones, and despite his helpful attitude, I'm finding it a bit difficult to parse his English. I need a preamp with a great headphone amp (not the other way around), and I've been looking at the C-3, but I'm not certain I understand how one would drive headphones with this. If I understand correctly, one would plug a balanced pair of headphones into the XLR output on the back, which would require the dual 3-pin connectors, correct? And as far as the "change of the output buffer" that Sayh referenced above, would that be something between the XLR output and the headphones, or an internal modification to the preamp itself? 

I actually have approximately 6541654654^99 more questions, but I'm going to try to stop here in hopes that someone won't be too aggravated with my noobishness to answer 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back