audio-gd C-2 Class A
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #121 of 141
oh right I forgot.  Honestly the liquid carbon never impressed me, tiny and SMPS?  pffft that's not high end.  plus just a cheap analog pot instead of resister relay like c2 class a.  only thing the carbon has going for it is all the in/outs including kobiconn which is weird to me

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #122 of 141
Just got a C-2 Class A in.

Right now I'm not doing it justice because it's being fed by a Dragonfly 1.2 until my DAC gets here next week.

In any case, it already sounds excellent. It's gigantic. I'm getting funny looks at work. They can deal with it.

I love that it has warmth settings and 10dB or 19dB gain via jumpers. It also has a balanced out in case you have headphones with that connector and don't want to convert it.

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2Class%20A/C2classAEN.htm

I'll try to do some measurements this weekend.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #123 of 141

I doubt I'll have both DACs by the time it comes out, unfortunately. But, I should still have this amp unless by some strange twist of fate the Project Polaris outdoes it.

Do you have any impressions so far as to Project Polaris vs C2?

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #124 of 141
  Do you have any impressions so far as to Project Polaris vs C2?

Quick impressions, yes.

Both are built extremely well. The Audio-GD C-2 is a utilitarian tank--it's huge and is built for function over everything else. The Garage1217 Project Polaris is gorgeous--especially with the acrylic--and has a much smaller footprint.

In terms of sheer clarity and detail, the Audio-GD is slightly better. I am able to distinguish instruments a little better with it overall. It isn't night and day, it's more like 12:00pm vs. 1:00pm.

Like the Polaris, you can customize the warmth of the C-2 via jumpers. Essentially, you can make treble roll off at different points to smooth out harsher recordings or headphones. The C-2 requires you to take out the power cable, remove a bunch of screws, and change the jumpers. Once you're set, you're kinda set. The Polaris is super quick and easy to change within seconds.

In terms of sheer versatility, the Polaris certainly wins. The only way it could be easier is if there were switches instead of jumpers, but the jumpers are super quick to change.

If you're looking for a step up from the Project Polaris and are okay with paying twice as much and can handle a footprint of 14.25" x 9.5" x 3.25", the C-2 is a little better. If you want versatility, value, and don't want something to dominate your desk, the Project Polaris is excellent.

I've already decided to keep the C-2 for home (unless I sell it for the NFB-1AMP and go fully balanced). For work, I'm trying to decide between the Project Polaris with a TBD smaller form DAC or an Audio-GD NFB-15, which I don't have yet. I had the C-2 at work for a day and people kept getting distracted by its size, so it went home.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #125 of 141

Quick impressions, yes.

Both are built extremely well. The Audio-GD C-2 is a utilitarian tank--it's huge and is built for function over everything else. The Garage1217 Project Polaris is gorgeous--especially with the acrylic--and has a much smaller footprint.

In terms of sheer clarity and detail, the Audio-GD is slightly better. I am able to distinguish instruments a little better with it overall. It isn't night and day, it's more like 12:00pm vs. 1:00pm.

Like the Polaris, you can customize the warmth of the C-2 via jumpers. Essentially, you can make treble roll off at different points to smooth out harsher recordings or headphones. The C-2 requires you to take out the power cable, remove a bunch of screws, and change the jumpers. Once you're set, you're kinda set. The Polaris is super quick and easy to change within seconds.

In terms of sheer versatility, the Polaris certainly wins. The only way it could be easier is if there were switches instead of jumpers, but the jumpers are super quick to change.

If you're looking for a step up from the Project Polaris and are okay with paying twice as much and can handle a footprint of 14.25" x 9.5" x 3.25", the C-2 is a little better. If you want versatility, value, and don't want something to dominate your desk, the Project Polaris is excellent.

I've already decided to keep the C-2 for home (unless I sell it for the NFB-1AMP and go fully balanced). For work, I'm trying to decide between the Project Polaris with a TBD smaller form DAC or an Audio-GD NFB-15, which I don't have yet. I had the C-2 at work for a day and people kept getting distracted by its size, so it went home.

Is this impression from the Dragonfly or a full-sized DAC?

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #127 of 141
Well, finally willing to post about this unit. Purchased one about 2 months ago. Been running it out of my Emotiva DC-1. 

I'm pretty darn impressed with this unit. I owned the Roc (old balanced amp) about 4 years ago. This thing is definitely more refined. Far better detail retrieval, terrific sound stage and there's a certain speed to the sound I can't quite describe.  This thing really sings with my Ultimate Ears CIEM as well. Totally black background. Really digging this unit. Only complaint is the volume control. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #128 of 141
Via memory on the C2A, Line in vs line in on the C2-A and the SA31SE, the SA31SE has better dynamics with a healthy bottom end on planar magnetic phones (HE560). The soundstage is noticeably much wider on the SA31SE as well.

Haven't tried the SA31SE with IEMs yet but I do remember the C2-A having an incredible black background as well.

What I don't understand is why a seemingly similar design has such wide gap on power output. ?

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #129 of 141
I tried a NFB-2 + C2 combo at the Austin meet, the amount of power on that C2 was ASTONISHING.... it really shaped the sound to be smooth and dynamic, which Audio-GD always seems to excel at! I've heard AMAZING things as well about the SA31SE, I think the C2 is a pretty direct replacement? The M9 amp section is supposed to be pretty neutral, which makes the C2 a true treat.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #133 of 141
  Do you guys think, the C-2 would be a good match for DX1000 ? And, another question, is the pre-out fixed of variable?

It could work well for the DX1000, I don't know what it is like signature wise other than being a bit bassy [which the C2 would tighten up a bit].
The line out can be either fixed or variable I believe, adjusted internally via jumpers :]

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #135 of 141
Thanks for the fast reply. Does it work with European voltage?

There are both 120V and 240V versions. They are not compatible with all voltages, so it depends on which one you get :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back