Audio-gd A-2 Class A Headphone Amp & Pre
Aug 5, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #31 of 67
I don't think you need to worry about stock running out. I believe that the fundamental difference between the NFB-1AMP and the A-2 is that one is balanced and the other is single ended. A truly balanced amplifier has to double up on all parts and is therefore much more expensive than a comparable single ended amplifier. Right now there is a hole in Audio GD's line up, there is nothing there for those who do not want or need a balanced amp. The A-2 seems to fill this gap.
You are right, but it is rather expansion. Is there any a competetive discrete Class A amp in this price range?

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #34 of 67
.LOL.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 67
The $299 price is for the upgraded “dedicated PSU” only.

Ha ok, so it's not in the same price bracket. Still curious how it will compare. There was also the Arcam rHead for discrete class A once upon a time, which can probably still be found for somewhere near this price.

Anyone happen to know if the pre outs on Audio-gd amps can be used for passive feedthrough?

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #38 of 67
ACSS is a current fed connection. It gives better insulation from noise, meaning a better sound quality and allows to use cheaper cables. A technology was used before by Krell (under a different proprietary name) and some others.

The ideal place for ACSS connection is between A-GD DACs and preamp, as I/V conversion is moved to the receiving side. It means a shorter signal path (less conversion).

Can you spend $2K on RCA cables? You may achieve the same SQ, not sure.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #39 of 67
real krell cast cables use 4 pin lemo style connectors. audio-gd acss cables use 3 pin lemo connectors, and also 4 pin xlr connectors on some of the preamps.
regular cables won't work.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #40 of 67
real krell cast cables use 4 pin lemo style connectors. audio-gd acss cables use 3 pin lemo connectors, and also 4 pin xlr connectors on some of the preamps.
regular cables won't work.
Correct. Don't even try, as not only plugs, but signal level is different. Kingwa is offering a custom version of ACSS output to match Krell ampflifiers.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #42 of 67
If your DAC has ACSS output, then it is better to use ACSS. A choice is simple. Cheaper cables, better sound.

If ACSS output is not available, but your DAC has a balanced XLR output (in addition to RCA), it is up to your conscious to decide whether you need balanced connection. Pay 50% more for the NFB-1AMP ($480) and you get balanced XLR output amoung other high-end features. A design is different, so also check whether it is better match for your headpones.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #43 of 67
A-2 is now available on pre-order $299, and the final selling price will be $315.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #44 of 67
You mean that poorly measuring but great sounding ridiculous bargain DAC/AMP that confused the heck out of ASR devotees...?? :wink:
Had one, loved it.
That makes it sound like they actually listened to something on ASR? that can't be right... i thought the general consensus was no difference in sound quality between your phone, your pc motherboard, and... or well, anything. so best to just measure it to justify at least paying for the upsale of the mass produced components
(・。・)

Looks like this just went live!

Can someone explain to me what “ACSS” is in layman terms? More importantly, if I used RCA cables instead would I get reduced performance?
i noticed a nice uptick in treble quality going from good xlr cables to acss cables.

http://www.audio-gd.com/audio/ACSS.htm

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #45 of 67
That makes it sound like they actually listened to something on ASR? that can't be right... i thought the general consensus was no difference in sound quality between your phone, your pc motherboard, and... or well, anything.
You are wrong. Have R2R11 and love it. When upgrading, it will be R28, a logical path.

Also have a Topping D30 in a drawer, as Realtek codec chip in a Sony Viao laptop sounds better. The most hyped and top meassuring DAC on ASR, but a complete cheat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back