Audio-gd A-2 Class A Headphone Amp & Pre
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 67
Yea absolutely. I don't look on measurements, I listen to my ears. The great measured topping D30 belongs to my trash can.
Exactly the same experience. Now I wonder if sajunky is another @ProLoL, hehehe.

That 'sucker' R2R11 is also my love. It looks like A-2 will be another deal breaker. I wonder how it is positioned. On one side it is a single ended, ideal for upgrading R2R11 HPA, on the other ACSS input makes it positioned for pairing with R1, R8, R7. Any thoughts?

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 67
Exactly the same experience. Now I wonder if sajunky is another @ProLoL, hehehe.

That 'sucker' R2R11 is also my love. It looks like A-2 will be another deal breaker. I wonder how it is positioned. On one side it is a single ended, ideal for upgrading R2R11 HPA, on the other ACSS input makes it positioned for pairing with R1, R8, R7. Any thoughts?

Always good to have a futureproof ACSS input. I need this unit to act as a headphone amp plus a preamp. The unit doesn't have a dedicated preamp section yet even their headphone amp section acts and sounds very good for that purpose.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 67
I have to recall my older post. R2R11 looks a lower grade headamp comparing to both R28 and NFB-1AMP. It only has two power transistors per channel instead of four in a diamond differential configuration. Both R28 and NFB-AMP amp section look the same. A-2 also has four transistors per channel, but radiators are much bigger. It is going to be more powerful than R28/NFB.

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 67
The R-28 is the R1 and NFB1 in a single chassis. Coincidentally I was listening to one just this morning with balanced HD800, whilst evaluating the Topping A90.
I preferred the R-28 although the A90 was not disappointing. And zero SE noise either. Performed extremely well to my ears.
This is off topic, but what do you mean SE noise? SE input (using RCA cable and balanced cable unplugged - important!), or SE output from the amp?

Thanks for feedback!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 67
This is off topic, but what do you mean SE noise? SE input (using RCA cable and balanced cable unplugged - important!), or SE output from the amp?

Thanks for feedback!
A number of early users reported some slight audible noise with SE RCA input.
Some even said analogue input was basically unusable due to high noise floor.

I believe John Yang recommended using XLR cables to circumvent this.

I heard none of this even at high gain (balanced cable unplugged) and when using balanced input (from R-28) there was also zero noise, as should be expected.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #26 of 67
Fairly enough, thanks @capetownwatches. I suspect problem is still there. They can't fix it simply by rewiring. Problem (one way or another) will show in number of user configurations. The only way to fix such design fault is to order a custom SMPS module for a negative rail, but it cannot be done in such short period and it costs money. If customers keep quiet, it will never happen.

A tip for detecting a possible fix (but not a cheat). When you open a case and see that FCC/CE certifications are printed on both modules, it means it wasn't fixed.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 67
A-2 is not going to replace NFB-1AMP ($485). A price difference is not big, but the later has a large section of regulated +/-15V PSU and a stepped volume actuator. There is more I/O ports. Cost of these extra parts (esp. relays) justify a price difference.

Judging from markings on the transformer, A-2 power rails are raised to +/-18V, but it is seems to be unregulated. Power transistors are now rated 20W (instead of 15W) and radiators dissipation is much bigger. It means that A-2 will be able to deliver more continuous power while transistors will stay cooler. This is the amp specialized for power hungry headphones, not a sensitive IEM's. NFB-1AMP is more universal and better equipped. Grab one before stock runs out.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #28 of 67
I reached him few months ago regarding a headphone amp + pre in a reasonable size, he noticed me regarding this product to be released. Definitely buying one.
The product is not out yet, heard they're waiting for the chassis. The buy it now etc is just a template for now until product is released.

ProLol, did he happen to tell you what the dimensions of the chassis will be? Similar to the DI-20 maybe?

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #30 of 67
A-2 is not going to replace NFB-1AMP ($485). A price difference is not big, but the later has a large section of regulated +/-15V PSU and a stepped volume actuator. There is more I/O ports. Cost of these extra parts (esp. relays) justify a price difference.

Judging from markings on the transformer, A-2 power rails are raised to +/-18V, but it is seems to be unregulated. Power transistors are now rated 20W (instead of 15W) and radiators dissipation is much bigger. It means that A-2 will be able to deliver more continuous power while transistors will stay cooler. This is the amp specialized for power hungry headphones, not a sensitive IEM's. NFB-1AMP is more universal and better equipped. Grab one before stock runs out.

I don't think you need to worry about stock running out. I believe that the fundamental difference between the NFB-1AMP and the A-2 is that one is balanced and the other is single ended. A truly balanced amplifier has to double up on all parts and is therefore much more expensive than a comparable single ended amplifier. Right now there is a hole in Audio GD's line up, there is nothing there for those who do not want or need a balanced amp. The A-2 seems to fill this gap. It is not competing with the NFB-1AMP since the people who are paying the extra for the NFB-1AMP must be paying the extra to get balanced. They have no use for the A-2 because it is not balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back