audio for a 90's toyota tacoma
May 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
haven't even got it yet; but i'll be buying a mid-nineties tacoma; i figure i'll probably get regular cab and thus no space for a sub and don't really want one anyway; and sound will build in that small space; do you think i need a seperate amp or can i get buy with a headunit and some good components??? thanks

May 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 3
I drive a 99' Tacoma, 2.4L manual. The cab is pretty noisy so the first thing I'd suggest you do is buy sound dampening material for the wall behind the seats. I found stuff that comes in a roll  that's sticky on one side and pastes on the wall. It significantly quieted the noise in the cab. Don't spend a lot of money on the sound system because you'll never hear it, it's a truck. I have a Sony head unit, single CD with a jack in the face plate for a digital player. It also has jacks in the rear to add an amp.It cost about $100. I replaced the door speakers with a pair of Pioneer from Crutchfield. Crutchfield will supply you with excellent instructions for installing the speakers. The instructions are well worth the few extra bucks you may save by buying the speakers elsewhere.

May 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 3
i'll do something very similar; great idea with the sound dampening; thought if i got an amp it would go behind the seats, but yeah, prob not worth it, and small cab means it'll all be amplified anyway; when i'm far enough away from cops, i'll just use my er6i canalphones; headphones really are the perfect thing for in a car, block out all the noise, and the acoustics of a car cab are crap anyway; it's just that pesky "getting a ticket" and "i can't hear that car about to hit me" problem; otherwise, headphones REALLY are the perfect sound system for a car, and you could use big open ones so you could hear some sound around you, or just regular ipod ibuds; big open phones would be great but definitely easier for a cop to see; canalphones might look like a "hands free" headset to a cop, but of course then you're blocking ALL noise, which of course goes with that second "i can't hear that car that's about to hit me" thing. of course, if you have the radio on rockin, you're gonna SEE that car long before you hear it; i've had the same thinking about wearing canalphones on a motorcycle. cuz you really should wear earplugs on a cycle, and i think if you keep the volume down a bit, canalphones are perfect for cycle; the tri-flange type don't block as much noise as full-on earplugs anyway, but if you wear ibuds you'll have to turn the sound way up and kill your ears.

anyway, but in the car i certainly won't want to wear headphones all the time, so at least need a good decent headunit, that can draw from my android smartphone (gonna get a droid probaby)........hopefully digitally, maybe i should wait for a smartphone with hdmi out; could do an hdmi to .....whatever digital-in head units use which i can't for the life of me think of??? what do they use?

yeah, i think some nice components with a good basic alpine or pioneer headset with the kind of aux-in i need for my droid

plus as much sound dampening as possible; will put behind the seats (great idea).......and inside door panels; and wherever else possible; btw: cheapest way to do this is go to carpet store and get carpet samples and glue them on :)  then there's stuff you can paint on from ...........dang i can't remember the name..........but great advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back