Audio Equipment for ATH AD900X
Jan 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

canyucel

New Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of research, but all of the information I've ran into is conflicting.

I am looking to buy a amp and DAC for my Audio Technica ATH AD900X.

Firstly, I am wondering whether this headset would benefit from an amp/dac or soundcard? Currently, the onboard Realtek ALC892.

Some sources say a soundcard is better for a desktop setup, and then say that I won't notice a difference between my onboard and soundcard.

If it does, would I benefit more from a sound card or an amp/dac combo?

I have a $100 budget, and was looking at the Xonar DG, SoundBlaster Z, Fiio E10K. The equipment will be used for a desktop PC, so portability isn't a factor.

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 19
  I've been doing a lot of research, but all of the information I've ran into is conflicting.

I am looking to buy a amp and DAC for my Audio Technica ATH AD900X.

Firstly, I am wondering whether this headset would benefit from an amp/dac or soundcard? Currently, the onboard Realtek ALC892.

Some sources say a soundcard is better for a desktop setup, and then say that I won't notice a difference between my onboard and soundcard.

If it does, would I benefit more from a sound card or an amp/dac combo?

I have a $100 budget, and was looking at the Xonar DG, SoundBlaster Z, Fiio E10K. The equipment will be used for a desktop PC, so portability isn't a factor.

Thanks.

I honestly don't notice much of a difference from any source with mine, other than differences in timbre. A good source does make it sound a slight bit cleaner and slightly more defined in separation, but nothing really big. As far as an amp/dac combo, these don't need an amp whatsoever so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to buy more headphones that are harder to drive in the future a good amp/dac may be a good investment, but for just the AD900X, I plug them in, enjoy, and don't worry about it too much. I'd put that $100 elsewhere.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 19
I think one of the decisions on soundcard vs external DAC/amp is what you plan to do with your PC. Are you a gamer that wants to use surround sound or other DSP effects? If so, then you want a soundcard that offers those features, because a dac/amp intended purely for music will not provide those.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 19
Then, buy the best DAC and amp you can afford, assuming you're using quality source material. I own AD900x. They're capable of excellent performance. Good luck.

I,m using the Schiit..modi/Vali combo,and I find it --Outstanding!!!
I'm using this  headphones,DT880 {600ohm}
I do have a pair of AD900x  ,coming in ,in about 1 week

You might want to look in the buy/sell forum,I got a few great  deals including, the Vali amp,there,and dozens of other goodies as well

Mike

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 19
  As far as an amp/dac combo, these don't need an amp whatsoever so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to buy more headphones that are harder to drive in the future a good amp/dac may be a good investment, but for just the AD900X, I plug them in, enjoy, and don't worry about it too much. I'd put that $100 elsewhere.

Agree totally. The AD900X sounds great straight from a laptop or phone as long as you're using decent source files. An amp in the $100 range might make a barely perceptible increase in sound quality at best. Even the increase in sound quality between my laptop and my Concero + Ember desktop rig is subtle.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 19
I have the closed version, A900X.  My motherboard has the same onboard audio chip, and there was a considerable sound quality improvement when I switched to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (which doesn't have an amp, just a better DAC).  For $100 I imagine you'll end up with a FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 19
  its purely for listening to music, surround etc is not important

The FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla would seem to be good options for your budget.
The AD900X works fine without an amplifier....... but a headphone amplifier with a really low output impedance should help bring out the best in the AD900X
And the E10K has a really low output impedance :)
I would assume the Schiit Fulla also has a low output impedance.

Also as the DAC/amps are external, they would not pick up any electrical noise that might be in the computer case.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 19
Although, based on their specs, they shouldn't need an amp, I've found significant improvement with the 900x using a JDS Labs O2 amp ( you could also get that amp with the DAC with it).   Music just sounds more immersive and smoother and instrument separation seems better.  Kind of hard to explain, but the combo really get you absorbed into the music.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 19
Although, based on their specs, they shouldn't need an amp, I've found significant improvement with the 900x using a JDS Labs O2 amp ( you could also get that amp with the DAC with it).   Music just sounds more immersive and smoother and instrument separation seems better.  Kind of hard to explain, but the combo really get you absorbed into the music.

It's almost like the K550. Even though they'll make a sound plugged into my laptop and get sufficiently loud, the sound quality improves quite a bit with a powerful amplifier.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 19
It's almost like the K550. Even though they'll make a sound plugged into my laptop and get sufficiently loud, the sound quality improves quite a bit with a powerful amplifier.

I think part of it is that the amp will likely have much lower THD -better signal in, better sound out.   Also for most headphones a lower output impedance amp will help the headphone sound better than the higher output impedance usually found on laptops, phones, etc.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 19
I think part of it is that the amp will likely have much lower THD -better signal in, better sound out.   Also for most headphones a lower output impedance amp will help the headphone sound better than the higher output impedance usually found on laptops, phones, etc.

FWIW, I most prefer the K550 with a LDIII. Relatively high output impedance. I don't know what THD sounds like. Do you?

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 19
It's a matter of preference, but I like the AD900X better from my laptop than from my Ember with low output impedance. They sound much better when I turn the Ember's output impedance to medium, as do my other sensitive low impedance cans.

Yes, higher damping factor is technically "better," but it would be a mistake IMO to conflate that with actually sounding better.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 19
It's a matter of preference, but I like the AD900X better from my laptop than from my Ember with low output impedance. They sound much better when I turn the Ember's output impedance to medium, as do my other sensitive low impedance cans.

Yes, higher damping factor is technically "better," but it would be a mistake IMO to conflate that with actually sounding better.

Interesting.  In what way do you find it better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back