Audio Engine A5+
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #31 of 50
Thats what I am scarred of... Is a sub really worth it? They seem to have plenty of bass.

Depends on what kind of music you listen to. Depends on how much money you spend on the sub. Depends on if you like to use them for gaming/movies, too.

The original A5 were rated similarly to the A5+ in low end frequency response (50Hz-22kHz ±1.5dB), but independent measurements showed them to already be -3db down at 57hz. If you like sub bass, a good sub is always the better tool for the job than a monitor with 5" drivers :)

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #33 of 50
I just found my old klipsch 8" sub from an iFi iPod Speaker System and hooked it up, it adds a lot of lower end depth that was definitely missing. The sub def makes a difference. I listen mostly to rock, reggae and rap. But ive been exploring jazz and classical just because of how good it sounds on these speakers. 

And you mentioned crossover filters, should I consider those?

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #35 of 50
Sorry total noob, is that something i fit inline between the output of the amp to the sub?

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #36 of 50
nice read guys.

i have heard a pair of KRK g6's with proper setup, spacing and angles to the listening head,
was blown away by the sound stage and very impressed even with no sub, would have been poerfect with a sub added

seems like klipsch subs are popular? i baught a klipsch 10" in sydney for my home speaker setup (wharfedale valdus 500 + matching center ,rears) and have been very happy with its preformance. not a very known brand to see in australia.

i would like one day for a set of KRK g6's but worried using them a side by side the computer monitor it wont sound as good?

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #37 of 50
Sorry total noob, is that something i fit inline between the output of the amp to the sub?

Nope.

Your sub should have a low pass filter (Does it?). Adjust the low pass filter to the low frequency roll off of your speakers (where they start to decrease in bass output).

If you want to use a sub with a different crossover, you would need electronics with separate line outs for the sub and speakers that managed the bass.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #38 of 50
Excuse me i'm new user but im interested to Audioengine A series.

But before i want to know if the soundstage of this A5+ as good as an Hi-Fi headphone like AKG Q701 or Philips Fidelio X2.
In some users reviews the Audioengine A5+ seem to have an EXCEPTIONAL and IMPRESSIVE soundstage, this is true ?

And for games ? Specially for FPS games the bass of this A5+ is low enough to feel good the explosions ? ( not basshead vibration style but more than credible explosions ).

I hope you answer this post :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #39 of 50
The soundstage will be different (completely in front of you), and how good the A5 soundstage will be will depend on placement and setup relative to the listening position. You can't just stick speakers anywhere and get good soundstage.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #40 of 50
The soundstage will be different (completely in front of you), and how good the A5 soundstage will be will depend on placement and setup relative to the listening position. You can't just stick speakers anywhere and get good soundstage.

My position will be so : http://www.tomshw.it/forum/attachments/schede-audio-altoparlanti-e-cuffie/140484d1419415412-altoparlanti-vs-cuffie-img_0230.jpg

Speakers not inclined and straight and spaced maximus 60cm ( 60cm also from each single speaker and me, same distance. )

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #41 of 50
Unfortunately it doesn't. Its the 8" Klipsch sub that comes with the ifi series ( super old ). I hooked it up using the line out from the speakers into the control dock. 

Is it hard to build a low pass filter?

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #42 of 50
But before i want to know if the soundstage of this A5+ as good as an Hi-Fi headphone like AKG Q701 or Philips Fidelio X2.
In some users reviews the Audioengine A5+ seem to have an EXCEPTIONAL and IMPRESSIVE soundstage, this is true ?

I cannot compare AKG Q701 or Philips Fidelio X2, but these have blown my DT 880's and Shure 845's out of the water. I have had a few other speaker systems and holy wow, a5+'s win hands down. 

And for games ? Specially for FPS games the bass of this A5+ is low enough to feel good the explosions ? ( not basshead vibration style but more than credible explosions ).

Ya, they have very nice bass as is. They are definitely not basshead vibrations, they call it "true bass" on their site, ie, what they audio engineer wanted you to hear, and i will agree. You can definitely feel it, but it doesn't muddy anything up. I added a 8" klipsch sub and it really fills out the lower end that i didnt even notice was missing. Hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #43 of 50

Ya, placement makes a huge difference. I spent a few hours moving them and my chair around to get the best position. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #44 of 50
  nice read guys.

i have heard a pair of KRK g6's with proper setup, spacing and angles to the listening head,
was blown away by the sound stage and very impressed even with no sub, would have been poerfect with a sub added

seems like klipsch subs are popular? i baught a klipsch 10" in sydney for my home speaker setup (wharfedale valdus 500 + matching center ,rears) and have been very happy with its preformance. not a very known brand to see in australia.

i would like one day for a set of KRK g6's but worried using them a side by side the computer monitor it wont sound as good?

You shouldn't place them side by side next to the monitor. Spread them out a bit, preferably in front so the monitor does block their sound. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #45 of 50
Unfortunately it doesn't. Its the 8" Klipsch sub that comes with the ifi series ( super old ). I hooked it up using the line out from the speakers into the control dock. 

Is it hard to build a low pass filter?

Well, that means that sub was designed to integrate with whatever speakers came with it, either with a natural roll off to match the speakers that came with it, or it's own built in low pass filter.

I have no idea how to build low pass filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back