Audio Engine A5+
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #16 of 50
I have A5+ in my office system run in conjunction with a Klipsch blahblah-12 subwoofer. The x-over point for the sub is @ 65Hz (12dB/octave). The A5+ are run full-range. The "sub" you're using is essentially a woofer. 150Hz is relatively high and can be localized, meaning you know where the sub is. You want a sub, buy one, but make sure it's an actual subwoofer. FWIW, I have no EQ in any of my systems. No need. Good luck.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #17 of 50
Yeah well that was terribly unclear. The A5+'s NEED to have a low pass filter out because the lack of depth ruins bass hits. A subwoofer can go higher than 65Hz and still be a sub.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #18 of 50
Yeah well that was terribly unclear. The A5+'s NEED to have a low pass filter out because the lack of depth ruins bass hits.

I'm sorry; I don't know understand the relevance.

A subwoofer can go higher than 65Hz and still be a sub.

That was hardly the point, nor did anyone assert such a thing. I mentioned the x-over point I use to give you a point of reference as to how low the A5+ can go in a room and as to where a good blend can occur. Your woofer doesn't go low enough to be called a subwoofer and the x-over point you're considering will allow for localization. Lose-lose.

Edit: text

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #19 of 50
The relevance? What?

What woofer are you saying I have? I haven't picked a woofer. How low does a sub need to be able to go? And what crossover point? I think you need to reread the whole thread.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #20 of 50
At 150Hz, I definitely dont experience any localization with the sub. The A5+'s suffer from muddy sub-bass, which is why I trim them with EQ, just becuase they aren't designed for sub-bass.  The T-Zero that I use much more accurately reproduces sub-bass, and blends quite well with the A5+'s.  It is not a cheap computer subwoofer, it is quite a well designed sub, and it works perfectly as a sub for a desktop system.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #21 of 50
The relevance? What?

What woofer are you saying I have? I haven't picked a woofer. How low does a sub need to be able to go? And what crossover point? I think you need to reread the whole thread.

My apologies; I confused you with the chap who owns a T-Zero. As for the rest, there are lots of resources on the 'net that explain basic audio. I don't have the time for a half hour of typing. Good luck.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 50
If the sub is powerful enough for the room, you won't experience localization at 200Hz.

Shaffer I understand audio quite well and what you were saying wasn't wrong it was just completely random. That's why I got confused

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #23 of 50
At 150Hz, I definitely dont experience any localization with the sub.

Pretty much anything above ~80Hz can be localized.

The A5+'s suffer from muddy sub-bass, which is why I trim them with EQ, just becuase they aren't designed for sub-bass.  The T-Zero that I use much more accurately reproduces sub-bass, and blends quite well with the A5+'s.  It is not a cheap computer subwoofer, it is quite a well designed sub, and it works perfectly as a sub for a desktop system.

There's no question that the A5+ won't do low bass. Neither will your woofer, without a whole lot of distortion, again helping localization. As to the definition of "perfect," it's clear that we have totally different points of reference.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #24 of 50
I'll do blind tests at 80, 100, 120, 150 and 200Hz in my friend's HT. I've never been able to localize that sub...I don't even know where it is. Fairly certain its crossover is 120 or 150.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #25 of 50
If the sub is powerful enough for the room, you won't experience localization at 200Hz.

This is new. Not to sound rude, did you juts make that up? I ask, because it's completely and utterly ridiculous. Just doesn't work that way no matter how much you wish it does. Take Leonard Cohen, for example. His vocals go way below 200Hz. Now consider how your ear localizes a specific human voice in a crowd.

Shaffer I understand audio quite well and what you were saying wasn't wrong it was just completely random. That's why I got confused

Yes, that's clearly the case.

Edit: text

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #26 of 50
This is new. Not to sound rude, did you juts make that up? I ask, because it's completely and utterly ridiculous. Just doesn't work that way no matter how much you wish it does. Take Leonard Cohen, for example. His vocals go way below 200Hz. Now consider how your ear localizes a specific human voice in a crowd.

Agreed. Goes against my experience and what is commonly known about sub integration.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #28 of 50
Ive been listening to headphones, DT 880's and IEM's shure 846's with either the Fiio 17 or the Cambridge Music DacMagic + ( dacmagic wins ). I just got the audioengine A5+ bookshelf speakers and running them through the fiio and it has blown my mind compared to the headphones. Closing your eyes you can point to where every instrument is being player on the stage in front. High's mid's, low's everything is there. My mind was and is still being blown. I am now a speaker person :).

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 50
Ive been listening to headphones, DT 880's and IEM's shure 846's with either the Fiio 17 or the Cambridge Music DacMagic + ( dacmagic wins ). I just got the audioengine A5+ bookshelf speakers and running them through the fiio and it has blown my mind compared to the headphones. Closing your eyes you can point to where every instrument is being player on the stage in front. High's mid's, low's everything is there. My mind was and is still being blown. I am now a speaker person :).

I'm happy for you :D

But sad for your wallet. Next thing you know, you'll want $1000 speakers and a $600 sub :p

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #30 of 50
Thats what I am scarred of... Is a sub really worth it? They seem to have plenty of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back