Audio clicking issue with Samsung s10+ and USB dac/amp
Jan 17, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #77 of 99
Update from me.

It turns out, the issue isn't actually fully fixed on Android 10 (tested with Chord Mojo and FiiO Q5s). I do very occasionally get a single popping/crackle noise here and there. But it's pretty rare. It seems it's as fixed as how it was when the "Bit and bandwidth upscaling" fix was dropped in Android 9. So switching between the two can give varying results (only popping/crackling at the very beginning of songs when switching songs for example).

So, I wonder, is it just a firmware thing that Samsung can actually fully fix, or is it somehow a hardware thing that can't be fully fixed. Either way, I do think we should continue pushing Samsung about this issue to completely eradicate it, if possible.

Anyone else here on Android 10 that can confirm you occasionally get the noises? How is switching between "Bit upscaling" and "Bit and bandwidth upscaling" for you guys? I still don't have a complete understanding of how the two settings deal with the issue. Takes a lot of time to test.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #79 of 99
Update from me.

It turns out, the issue isn't actually fully fixed on Android 10 (tested with Chord Mojo and FiiO Q5s). I do very occasionally get a single popping/crackle noise here and there. But it's pretty rare. It seems it's as fixed as how it was when the "Bit and bandwidth upscaling" fix was dropped in Android 9. So switching between the two can give varying results (only popping/crackling at the very beginning of songs when switching songs for example).

So, I wonder, is just a firmware thing that Samsung can actually fully fix, or is it somehow a hardware thing that can't be fully fixed. Either way, I do think we should continue pushing Samsung about this issue to completely eradicate it, if possible.

Anyone else here on Android 10 that can confirm you occasionally get the noises? How is switching between "Bit upscaling" and "Bit and bandwidth upscaling" for you guys? I still don't have a complete understanding of how the two settings deal with the issue. Takes a lot of time to test.
I'm in Android 10, and neither of the two settings fixes it for me, it sounds like every 15 seconds.

I had Android 9 on this same phone without any issues, so it's a firmware thing.

I'm using the S10+ with exynos btw.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #80 of 99
Update from me.

So, I wonder, is just a firmware thing that Samsung can actually fully fix, or is it somehow a hardware thing that can't be fully fixed. Either way, I do think we should continue pushing Samsung about this issue to completely eradicate it, if possible.

Gang,
So USB is really simple. It has three types of frame types but really all of them work the same way. The feedback pipe which is the problem with the clicking here is of the type isosynchronous. Well also the sending of audio samples is also isosynchronous so this is not a hardware issue it's like other problems I face everyday it's companies that don't understand the Asynchronous Protocol and how it works. At Samsung they probably don't have a lab to test this stuff. I have 18 USB DACS at the Apple Audio Lab and each one is tested when they have a release of software and I get a report back.

I am not sure what this Bit upscalling is.... but it sure sounds like upsampling to me which can make things sound worse.

Thanks,
Gordon

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #81 of 99
I'm in Android 10, and neither of the two settings fixes it for me, it sounds like every 15 seconds.

I had Android 9 on this same phone without any issues, so it's a firmware thing.

I'm using the S10+ with exynos btw.

What software version are you on? My standard S10 (Exynos) says:

Current version: G973FXXS3BSL4/G973FOXM3BSKO/G973FXXS3BSL4
Security patch level: January 1, 2020

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #83 of 99
G975FXXS3BSL4
Same patch level.

Must vary from DAC to DAC then? Or maybe the cable/adapter, I'm using the Samsung OTG USB adapter that came in the box with the S10. I'm definitely not getting the issue every 15 seconds. Like I said, pretty rare. I does seem like I might be getting it more in music that's more dynamic, and not super loud/compressed.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #84 of 99
Must vary from DAC to DAC then? Or maybe the cable/adapter, I'm using the Samsung OTG USB adapter that came in the box with the S10. I'm definitely not getting the issue every 15 seconds. Like I said, pretty rare. I does seem like I might be getting it more on music that's more dynamic, and not super loud/compressed.
It should not be the cable, because it worked fine on Android 9 with the same cable and dac.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #85 of 99
It should not be the cable, because it worked fine on Android 9 with the same cable and dac.

Actually, now that I think about it, it could be the music player, I'm using Poweramp. Maybe try Poweramp and report back? It's the best music player on Android anyways imo. Unless you stream your music?

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #87 of 99
Yup, I only use Tidal, I like to explore new music and I'm too lazy to download CDs :D

Well, how it's working out for me on Poweramp, the issue is so rare that it's acceptable for me for the time being.

But if Samsung fails to do anything, I might be upgrading my phone sooner than later... Hopefully it won't plague future Samsung phones, as they're my favorite brand with One UI and the Good Lock modules.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #89 of 99
Finally got an answer today after reporting this bug weeks ago through the Samsung Members app. Their response:

"We thank you for your feedback and have forwarded this internally for further investigation and development. Hopefully this will be available in the future"

I gave them the Asynchronous USB info that Creative wrote btw, I tried to make it real easy for them to understand what to do about this issue. Fingers crossed.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #90 of 99
Hi, I've just raised an issue with Samsung support and here is their answer...

First reply

Thank you for contacting SAMSUNG Electronics Switzerland.

My name is Mahdi and I look forward to assist you today in your application.

A Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ has two ways of audio output : Bluetooth or using an adaptor USB-C - Jack

Unfortunately, direct connection to a every audio Dock can not be assured

My reply

Hello

Do you mean Samsung does not support OTG technology on their smartphones? Because it's not advertised as such.

It's working but working really bad
l

and second one

Thank you for contacting SAMSUNG Electronics Switzerland.
The Samsung Galaxy Note10+ does have the OTG, on the other hand, the OTG is intended for data transfer only (including connection to a mouse or a keyboard). It is not used for audio output.

A Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ has two ways of audio output : Bluetooth or using an adaptor USB-C - Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back