Audio clicking issue with Samsung s10+ and USB dac/amp
Sep 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #46 of 99
I switched today to a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Out of the box, same issue as the S10+. However, I updated to the latest September 1, 2019 security patch and the issue is solved, at least for the Creative Super X-Fi. Maybe you guys can try holding out a while longer for the fix to reach the S10+... At least Samsung seems aware of this bug?

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #47 of 99
I find it a little weird that Cobalt would work and not Red. While the DAC chip and supporting circuitry are different, the code base is almost identical.

Can you email me at: gordon@audioquest.com

~~~
Some questions to consider are:

Does the distortion time frame change with sampling rate? i.e. is your 40 seconds at 44.1, then what is the distortion at say 96Khz sampling rate?
Does the distortion time frame change with product? i.e. same track on the Cyrus as compared to DragonFly Red?

Thanks,
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

My mistake, it was a DragonFly Black as Richer Sounds did not have any Reds at the time. As the additional tests were done in store (I was looking for a replacement to the Soundkey but could not stretch the budget to Cobalt or Mojo) I cannot definitively say it was the same period between the phasing distortions but it seemed to be the same time.

Just tested different sample rates with Cyrus, 44.1, 48, and 96 and the phasing started at 40 seconds lasting 9 seconds, then repeating again at 40 seconds and so on. This happens regardless of track being played, or audio source, including 320k mp3.

Thanks
Mark

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #48 of 99
Mark,
Black, Red and Cobalt all basically have the same code in them. They differ in dac chip and associated passive components.

Support at AudioQuest said that the Extreme Audio driver fixed all the problem users were having with the S10 series. To me that would indicate some kind of USB protocol error. In general though that would result in pops and clicks from a failed asynchronous implementation. I really would not consider that phasing though, so I am at loss as to the problem.

Thanks,
Gordon

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #49 of 99
So I tried the Onkyo player and it asks to use the Sound key which I select. No problems, I get the led flashes on the soundkey to show a change in sample rate. Going back to another app, such as Amazon Music HD, the problem comes back and there are no led flashes to show change of sample rate between tracks with different rates. It's almost as if the S10 is down sampling the output. At a loss now, very frustrating. I love the S10 and want to get a note 10 but this bothers me too much.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #50 of 99
Given the note 10 had the same issue with its initial firmware which was subsequently fixed, and that the S10 has pretty much the same codebase as the note 10, I would say just be patient for a month or two and it should be fixed on the s10

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #51 of 99
So I tried the Onkyo player and it asks to use the Sound key which I select. No problems, I get the led flashes on the soundkey to show a change in sample rate. Going back to another app, such as Amazon Music HD, the problem comes back and there are no led flashes to show change of sample rate between tracks with different rates. It's almost as if the S10 is down sampling the output. At a loss now, very frustrating. I love the S10 and want to get a note 10 but this bothers me too much.

Mark,
First all my emails to you are bouncing.

Second, the Onkyo app works at a much lower level in the audio stack than the new Amazon app and that could be why it is working.

But I would really talk to Cyrus and not Samsung about this. If the SoundKey is Adaptive USB and not Asyncrhonous USB then it may just be the wrong dac for what you are doing. Yes sure this and that might work because it does that correctly. But if you want every app to work with your DAC+Phone combination then you may just have the wrong DAC or you may need a software upgrade from Cyrus.

Thanks,
Gordon

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #52 of 99
I'm using Creative SX-FI on Samsung S10+

Just now I opened the Creative app, Device settings, then Firmware update.. then updated my XFI

Currently playing a video on VLC player and the sound is good... no more hissing/clicking sound.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #53 of 99
Mark,
First all my emails to you are bouncing.

Second, the Onkyo app works at a much lower level in the audio stack than the new Amazon app and that could be why it is working.

But I would really talk to Cyrus and not Samsung about this. If the SoundKey is Adaptive USB and not Asyncrhonous USB then it may just be the wrong dac for what you are doing. Yes sure this and that might work because it does that correctly. But if you want every app to work with your DAC+Phone combination then you may just have the wrong DAC or you may need a software upgrade from Cyrus.

Thanks,
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Not sure why you are getting email bounces. Thanks for your help on this. I had emailed Cyrus about this before but will go back to them. I may have to start the wife approval process to get an upgrade to Cobalt or Mojo. I think one of the issues here is my lack of understanding how Samsung route the digital audio stream. I may be wrong but it seems the audio still passes through some preprocessing before being output, perhaps upsampling to 96k, and all apps, other than apps like UAPP or Onkyo, route this way.

I will post again if I get any resolution but at least I still have a 3.5mm socket.

Thanks
Mark

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #54 of 99
Mark,

Yes all applications vary a bunch on Android. It's the most troubling audio system on any mobile device. I think the last 5 updates we did all had to do with Android. UAPP, Onkyo and others will take over the audio playback system from the OS and adjust the sample rate accordingly. YouTube and other apps will not do that and this maybe part of your problem.

Cobalt, Red and Black all use the same code base so they all should work the same. I am not sure why Cobalt worked and Black didn't that really does not make any sense to me.

If you have a macOS computer at your disposal and can download a copy of USB Prober or if you have Windows and go to here: https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml

Download the descriptors for the Cyrus and it may tell me why you are having a problem.

You can email me the results and I can try my other 20 email address and see if we can communicate that way.

Thanks,
Gordon

Sep 24, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #58 of 99
Are you still using the Super X-fi? Apparently creative pushed out an update recently that solves the issue on the S10.

Hi,
yes, I do. And yes, they actually fixed it!
Now X-fi works perfectly across all apps, but I will stick to USB Audio Player Pro. It has some flaws, but overall it's the best music player I've tried.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #60 of 99
I've just experienced the same popping sound issue with my S10+ and ifi idsd micro bl label. Using ifi otg type c cable. At first I thought it's related to Tidal Master but no, popping sound exists when I try hifi songs as well. This issue hasn't been existed before, at least for me.

It's snapdragon version. Is there anyone who solved the issue or know any news from Samsung whether they release a firmware regarding the issue?

Can't believe this is happening with S10+ but not with other phones. Just unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back