Audio by Van Alstine, Inc. Transendence 7 Preamplifier
Jun 4, 2003 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

scottpaul_iu

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get a new headphone amp. I have researched quite a few amps. I have run into this AVA preamp a few times, but have never heard too much about it.

Here is a snippet from a review from audioasylum:

"The real surprise was the headphone amp, which in most units is decent, but little more than an afterthought. Not this one...this headphone amp ROCKS! It has the same liquid and grainless quality that my OTL EarMax has, but it can play a LOT louder, a lot deeper, and a lot cleaner. I tried to get it to clip or distort, and could not do so. My BRAIN was imploding with the wonderful sound of Led Zeppelin subjectively at 110db plus, and there was not a hint of strain. You could hurt yourself with this thing! My only minor quibble is, the separation is so good that with older ping pong stereo recordings, you don't get any centerfill inside your head. Flicking the mono switch rectifies this.
In conclusion, this is the most utterly satisfying full function preamp I've ever owned, and is WELL worth the price of admission, and then some. I think Mr. Van Alstine really has succeeded in combining the strengths of tubes and solid state; it's not just hype. I'm not going to say it betters anything around 2k out there, because I haven't heard everything around 2k out there. But I'd be very surprised if anything near that price could beat it. Try to get past the utilitarian looks. I think Mr. Van Alstine has his priorities straight. His components are fancy on the inside, rather than the outside, and are well worth looking into."

Does anyone have any info or thoughts on this amp?

Jun 4, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 7
I've seen the van Alstine's but haven't heard them. I'd love to hear comments from someone who has. Whenever I see their home page, I keep thinking that if they got it right, someone has made a better Melos already, but nobody knows about it
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Until fairly recently, they sold a headphone amp kit (versa-kit, or some such thing). They also sell Grado 225's at a good price, or at least they used to.

As a result, I'm guessing that headphone sound is actually important to them.

But to answer your question, sorry, I haven't listened to anything of theirs. I should have downloaded that page and kept the schematic....

Jun 8, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 7
the versakit headphone amp is maybe the earliest commercial amp using an opamp and buffer

it was called the "versakit" due to the many uses for the same kit according to how you configured it

headphone amp

line driver/buffer

impedance matching for tube preamp to SS amp

RIAA phono preamp

bridging amp

and the plans are available in the AVA magazine archives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back