Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #241 of 306
Quote:
i got the good sound when i unplug the dc cable during playback.. for a few seconds. 
size]

size]

possible of busted capacitor?

Does it still sound good when you just use the USB and not the AC adapter? 

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #242 of 306
How would one go about using an external dac on this without having to use optical?

I tried connecting to the rca outs using an adapter but it doesn't do anything even if I switch to speaker.  I get no power when usb is not connected.  

My setup is odac or dragonfly via usb, then connecting it to the mx2 using mini connector or I have adapters for the rca out.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #243 of 306
Quote:

Does it still sound good when you just use the USB and not the AC adapter? 

Yes. I don't really use the AC adapter at all and it's still great with most headphones. Imo only the more difficult things like planars show improvement with AC power. 

Quote:
How would one go about using an external dac on this without having to use optical?

I tried connecting to the rca outs using an adapter but it doesn't do anything even if I switch to speaker.  I get no power when usb is not connected.  

My setup is odac or dragonfly via usb, then connecting it to the mx2 using mini connector or I have adapters for the rca out.  

.I'm confused. You want to use a different DAC and then use the mx2 as a HP amp only? Because it doesn't work like that. You can use it as a DAC/amp unit, or as a DAC only by pairing with an external amp. But there's no way to use it for amplification only. 

You'll have to choose between the ODAC, Dragonfly, and mx2. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #244 of 306
Quote:

.I'm confused. You want to use a different DAC and then use the mx2 as a HP amp only? Because it doesn't work like that. You can use it as a DAC/amp unit, or as a DAC only by pairing with an external amp. But there's no way to use it for amplification only. 

You'll have to choose between the ODAC, Dragonfly, and mx2. 

Thank you.  You answered my question.  

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #245 of 306
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #248 of 306
Quote:
Yep, sounds like something is wrong with that unit. 

yes, emailed audinst . they want me to sent the unit back for checkup. The audinst's aftersales service and reply speed are great...too bad , i need to send back my unti all the way from malaysia to korea again ><

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #249 of 306
I have a few questions.
Does anyone if the built-in amp will drive the Mrspeakers Mad Dogs properly? I'm sure the mx2 will drive them to adequate volumes. I'm not sure if its powerful enough to really bring out the potential and capabilities of the MDs though. I suspect using the DC supply will help if even just a bit, which brings me to my next question. Has anyone remedied the extra heat? I feared the heat will damage the interiors so i've stopped using it. It definitely got to temperatures higher than 'warm'.

Also, just to clarify, I can use this as a standalone DAC (though optical out) if i decide to buy a full-size amp right? 

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #250 of 306
Quote:
I have a few questions.
Does anyone if the built-in amp will drive the Mrspeakers Mad Dogs properly? I'm sure the mx2 will drive them to adequate volumes. I'm not sure if its powerful enough to really bring out the potential and capabilities of the MDs though. I suspect using the DC supply will help if even just a bit, which this brings me to my next question. Has anyone remedied the extra heat? I feared the heat will damage the interiors so i've stopped using it. It definitely got to temperatures higher than 'warm'.

Also, just to clarify, I can use this as a standalone DAC (though optical out) if i decide to buy a full-size amp right? 

I should be able to answer this question in a few days time when I try them out properly with the mad dogs. 

I've got to say that so far I am very impressed with this device. Extremely versatile little thing this is that works without hitch of stadard usb power.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #251 of 306
Quote:

I should be able to answer this question in a few days time when I try them out properly with the mad dogs. 

I've got to say that so far I am very impressed with this device. Extremely versatile little thing this is that works without hitch of stadard usb power.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Crossing my fingers, hopefully the Mad Dogs will pair nicely. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #252 of 306
Quote:
I have a few questions.
Does anyone if the built-in amp will drive the Mrspeakers Mad Dogs properly? I'm sure the mx2 will drive them to adequate volumes. I'm not sure if its powerful enough to really bring out the potential and capabilities of the MDs though. I suspect using the DC supply will help if even just a bit, which brings me to my next question. Has anyone remedied the extra heat? I feared the heat will damage the interiors so i've stopped using it. It definitely got to temperatures higher than 'warm'.

It should do well with the Mad Dogs - I haven't heard them, but I do have the Thunderpants which is also a modded Fostex. It sounds nice with the mx2. Can it get better? Yes, but the Audinst alone is not majorly deficient in any way. 

I wouldn't worry about the hear too much. Some units just run very hot - there are original Benchmark DAC-1 units running non stop for the past 10 years or so, without any issues, and those get blazing hot. See also the Schiit Asgard and many other products. As long as the hardware doesn't have anything delicate inside, it should be fine. 

Stand alone DAC - yes, but you'd use the analog outputs (red/white RCA jacks), not the optical out. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #253 of 306
Quote:

It should do well with the Mad Dogs - I haven't heard them, but I do have the Thunderpants which is also a modded Fostex. It sounds nice with the mx2. Can it get better? Yes, but the Audinst alone is not majorly deficient in any way. 

I wouldn't worry about the hear too much. Some units just run very hot - there are original Benchmark DAC-1 units running non stop for the past 10 years or so, without any issues, and those get blazing hot. See also the Schiit Asgard and many other products. As long as the hardware doesn't have anything delicate inside, it should be fine. 

Stand alone DAC - yes, but you'd use the analog outputs (red/white RCA jacks), not the optical out. 

Excellent. Thanks for the info. The Thunderpants looks amazing.

I'll use the adapter if I end up buying the MDs. I probably won't buy an amp but do you have any recommended amp that pair well with the Thunderpants and with RCA jacks? Powerful enough to drive the Thunderpants to their full potential I mean, not necessarily how they alter the sound to your preference. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #254 of 306
Quote:
Excellent. Thanks for the info. The Thunderpants looks amazing.

I'll use the adapter if I end up buying the MDs. I probably won't buy an amp but do you have any recommended amp that pair well with the Thunderpants and with RCA jacks? Powerful enough to drive the Thunderpants to their full potential I mean, not necessarily how they alter the sound to your preference. 

Really depends on your budget. You could go relatively cheap to extremely high end, and everything in between. The Lake People G103 is around $250 and is very powerful and clean sounding. Matrix M-Stage is another good one in the same price range. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #255 of 306
yes, emailed audinst . they want me to sent the unit back for checkup. The audinst's aftersales service and reply speed are great...too bad , i need to send back my unti all the way from malaysia to korea again ><

Check your sample rate in windows. Change it to 44.1 and 96 and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back