Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Sep 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #272 of 306
I should be writing a review soon (week or two). Going to compare this to an objective 2/odac (ODA)and a graham slee bitzie. 

I think that with a non-crappy power supply (£10 worth at least) and a suitable power conditioner (as for all audio equipment) the Audinst sounds quite a lot better running on AC. Without AC the ODA handily beats it across the board. But when plugged in they both sound very similar and it's anyones choice which they prefer. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #274 of 306
  I should be writing a review soon (week or two). Going to compare this to an objective 2/odac (ODA)and a graham slee bitzie. 

I think that with a non-crappy power supply (£10 worth at least) and a suitable power conditioner (as for all audio equipment) the Audinst sounds quite a lot better running on AC. Without AC the ODA handily beats it across the board. But when plugged in they both sound very similar and it's anyones choice which they prefer. 

have you manage to test the audinst with an upgraded power supply yet? what would you recommend?

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #276 of 306
I'm currently running on USB power and I've been happy with the results. Although I want to test it using the plug I'm scared that Aussie 240 outlets will fry the unit if I use a plug adapter.  Should I replace the plug pack entirely?

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #277 of 306
i'm using the mx2 in Singapore where its 220V/240V, 50 Hz without any issues.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #279 of 306
I also use this MX2 in Chile where it is 220V / 50Hz, no problem with that. The unit gets warm when plugged to AC, but not too hot. I use it to drive my DT880 250 ohm, with the gain jumper on original position. The combo works fine, clear and crisp sound but too bright for me. I'm ordering a Little Dot MKIII to see how the Beyers sounds with tubes. Hope they warm : )

May 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #281 of 306
I just ordered a hud-mx2 for on amazon.ca. $250cdn + shipping.

So you don't have to go to eBay if you don't want to.

I picked it because the reviews were great. The pedigree is with it being an improvement of a very liked model. I will run my current momentum and sr80, and be expandable into the HD 650 or He400 one day. I could have gone Geek Out, D1, Dragonfly or O2/ODAC but the rca outs and optical in and out were important to me. Physical volume control, good power and low output impedance are all important.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #283 of 306
A couple of questions:

- any idea what I should set volume for to achieve 2V ptp line out level?

- I assume feeding this 12V when using only as a DAC will not provide any benefit?

Thanks,
G

So I got some answers from Audinst directly...

- max volume is the level to use for 2V ptp line out level.

- the opamps will use 12V power if it is provided, so their advice is to provide 12V if possible as it will be better than using only USB power (5V).

Cheers,
G

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #285 of 306
  Hi, I've gotten the mx2 for a while now, realized its been shutting off every so often.
Question is, must I connect the power as well? It can't run off usb power?

Should be able to run off of USB power. Maybe the connection cuts out? Problems with the USB cable or maybe either/both ports?

I ran off of USB power for months with no problem other than the lack of volume for my cans. Power from socket made a world of difference, perhaps on sound quality as well. I use the optical ports of my computer and the DAC and I get power from the wall socket. It's quite reliable.  I use a pair of Mad Dogs, for what it's worth.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back