Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #151 of 306
I have had my unit for the last couple of days and I have to warn you guys. I am 100% certain the unit has no burn in at all..The sound went from mid forward the fist night to the highs brought out the next and this morning the bass end has finally showed up. So.. One tip. .Leave your units playing for several days before you take a good listen. More to come later.

Does or doesn't have burn in?

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #153 of 306
I have had my unit for the last couple of days and I have to warn you guys. I am 100% certain the unit has no burn in at all..The sound went from mid forward the fist night to the highs brought out the next and this morning the bass end has finally showed up. So.. One tip. .Leave your units playing for several days before you take a good listen. More to come later.

What part if 100% sure the unit has no burn in at all do you not understand? Lol.

HUH? if it has no burn in then why are you telling us to burn it in and the sound changes? :confused:

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #154 of 306
There has been no burn in at the factory and there should be burn in for the unit to sound its optimum. so we will need to do the burn in ourselves before we can get the best out the sound.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #156 of 306
That's how I read it too - he was saying it has zero hours on it from the factory so it requires some burn in.

I burned mine in for around 100 hours before listening, as is my standard practice, so I can't say whether I agree or not. 

Oh I thought he meant burn in doesn't change the sound but it does. :D

Does any manufacture do burn in?

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #157 of 306
Quote:
Oh I thought he meant burn in doesn't change the sound but it does.
biggrin.gif

Does any manufacture do burn in?

Never heard of that happening, but I guess it could happen.

On second thought, I could see it happening on selected samples for quality testing off of the assembly line.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #159 of 306
So I found the time to get it from the customs. 
What I see and hear pleases me.
For up to now I better leave the field for sound impressions to others as I am quite new to more serious headfi. Had an Apogee One and an ECHO Audiofire 2 and those mostly with active speakers (ADAM P11 - something really beautiful for the desktop), sometimes with the Westone UM2 - but that was somehow too isolated and claustrophobic although quite good sounding. Having that said my words for what I hear would not be worth anything in lack of comparison.
But what I see could be interesting meanwhile too - until someone comes up with a review.
Build quality is top. An aluminum front that nicely integrates into the Apple-World. More on of the professional looking with a look that reminds of a 19"-Rack-device en miniature rather than audiophile looking. Not the cheapest cables.
Most outstanding feature for me is its versatility that fits my needs. An portable dac+amp, that can be driven in certain situations without PSU. That can be used as USB-to-Optical Converter, as DAC only, as DAC with Amp. Driverless and easy operation with mac. May feed 2 cans at a time. Should drive high and low Ohms. Native support for all samplerates in my library. Line out driven by volume knob - ideal for active speakers. Even exchangeable opamps.
And that is exactly what I needed: a dac to use at home, in the office, while traveling. Even found al way to use iPhone 5 with it: streaming the lossless tracks via Airplay into Airport Express, then optical to the MX2.
Alright, enough of this words with advertisement flavor - more to come when I am going to check this box with some 600 Ohms for can decision.
Hope to see some more competent reviews next days here, especially regarding quality of the DAC. Often there is a price to pay for versatility. 
I can only say, it is definitely not the worst - had lot of fun and smiles the last hours. Especially with vinyl-backups.
And at least: no, I dont believe in burn in of a digital device with non-moving parts. But I will give it a burn in for the next nights. Just for being sure. People are strange...

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #160 of 306
Quote:
That's how I read it too - he was saying it has zero hours on it from the factory so it requires some burn in.

I burned mine in for around 100 hours before listening, as is my standard practice, so I can't say whether I agree or not. 

Out of box. The sound is all mids..The highs and bass definitely took a back seat to the mids..This is what made me realize they probably had zero factory burn in.. So I began using it as my burn in station with my new CKN70 and WS99.. So I am burning in my MX2 with my iem and headphones here at one time.

The 2nd day the highs came out in full glory but the bass was still anemic. .

3rd day the lower registers became much more fuller.. I am on the 4th day of music playing on the MX2..I like the direction it is headed but I can clearly make out the changes from open box to now.  100 hours seems reasonable..

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #161 of 306
Some tunes later...
I remembered the pair of DT770 Pro at the sound-department and gave them a try.
These 250 Ohm cans need a level around 12-2 o clock. According to the manual from 2 onwards there could be distortion. So driving the DT-Pros at normal gain is working fine while for 600 Ohm we have to go for sure with the high gain.
Could not resist to listen to Rebecca Pidgeons "Spanish Night in Harlem". An old hat, I know, but works well for evaluation. Reason was, that I wanted to see what Audirvana does with my system. Results were easy and repeatedly audible: the sharp "s" disappeared, the shaker became significantly more color and the whole song went from conserved to performed.
I don´t want to start a discussion about these software-helpers here but point out to whom it may concern that this DAC is capable of bringing this finetuning to stage and that it´s worth the try.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #162 of 306
Some quick first impression..

DISCLAIMER: I'm nt Multimillionaire that own a million of high end stuff..i'm just a poor Uni student accompanied by a Shure SRH440, HD25-1ii. Feel free to comment on my impression but please do not make useless judgement if you HAVE NOT listen to the DAC yourselves.

Setup: Laptop(wasapi)-->USB--> HUD-MX2--> SHURE SRH440

First , WOW...Sweet Mids. But few songs later, a question  appears. Where have the bass and trebles gone??

Yeah, the mids is so far the best i've ever heard. Timbre wise, it is full with definite, round ,solid body.If my laptop output sound is a slice of flat, dry, rough oatmeal bread from the loaf,
The MX2 will be a croissant, Round, solid ,buttery smooth and aromatic.   Male singer sounds slightly better than female singer due to its thick presentation. The soundstage is nice with a rugby ball shape (horizontally wider than lateral and front-back).

About the bass, it kinda sounds like a high school student attending class he don't like. Under certain circumstances ,he will entertain you a little. Just right to let u notice he is there, then he will go back to the last seat of the class,do his own stuffs.

Then, there's the treble/highs. he is a brilliant student,but he is the sleepy one. He sleeps almost everyday, but when he's awake, he can make everybody happy.

That's all for my first impressions. I'll be updating on a daily basis if possible. Now i shall return to my last row seat and do my own stuffs XD

UPDATE: Just tried out the AC current. As expected , it perform noticeably better though not changing the timbre and soundstage at all. I can notice the power r stronger cause the control are better,less muddy. It is most noticeable when listening to drum beats in sweet child'o mine. The attack is accurate and clean, it is very real. In short, think about 720P movie and 1080p movie's difference, it is still the same movie but we are now in FULL HD. XD

UPDATE: 16/3/2013:- Hey,im here to update some more impressions! after about 20 hours, the most noticeable different is the Bass is now out! With impact and body,it goes deep too ! I am really delighted. Yup, to the DAC burn-in unbelievers, if you're going to buy one of these. Left it work for at least a day before jumping to final decision. I have to say that, this is not some ear-brain adaption, i could still remember the lack of bass feel yesterday. The bass has really surfaced ! 

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #163 of 306
About the bass, it kinda sounds like a high school student attending class he don't like.

Continued today listening and did not notice any lack in the frequencies. Bass goes for sure deeper than the 770s can reproduce. With the Chesky´s "Heartbeat"-track every step from 50Hz to 20Hz was clearly present - just as expected without doubt. So check your sourcefiles and your cans. If there´s no fault - go on with your ears.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #164 of 306
Quote:

Continued today listening and did not notice any lack in the frequencies. 

my ears...high i can't guarantee but bass im confident enough that my ears are working just fine....How many days have u got yours? i just light mine up for the first time few hours ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back