Audinst HUD-mx1 vs HRT Music Streamer II vs Fubar II
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

labou

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a DAC around the 180 price range and I've gotten it down to these three, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. I'm also open to new ideas, but I mainly want to hear about these three. Thanks

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 8
my take on this dilemma:
-the audinst has a nasty sounding OPA2134 soldered on its line-out
-I think the HRT provides galvanic isolation over USB from what its manufacturer said here on head-fi

there used to be a discount on the new Spitfire MKII DAC, but it's apparently over in the US.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 8
http://www.headfonia.com/the-hrt-music-streamer-ii-asynchronous-2496-for-149-95/ this review has the comparison that you might wanna read regarding the Audinst and the HRT MSII. The conclusion might give you a good hint on where you should go. As for the Fubar II I have no idea about it though. Overall, it's important to decide on an audio gear on how does it sound and which functionalities it provides at your price point, a single chip does not make the whole thing sounds absolutely bad or good.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Your review says "Most notably is the soundstage depth, where the MS2 is much more three dimensional than the Audinst", sounds like a bad case of teh 2134's.

Too bad the PCB shots of the HRT are so small, this looks nice: galvanic isolation, PCM1793, swappable opamp, async drivers. No wonder it's being so praised. The only thing it seems to lack is a proper DPS.

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 8
It depends whether you want a DAC or a DAC/amp combo, if a DAC only then obviously the MSII, otherwise the Audinst has more value for an entry setup.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 8
I use the MSII and while I dunno if what I do is safe or not, but I run my Sennheiser HD650 cans straight out of the MS II (RCA -> 3.5mm adapter).

Sounds almost as good as out of my Compass amp.

I am sure driving a 300 ohm can is safe but I dunno about driving more efficient cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back