Audinst HUD-mini (final review and pics added 9-27-12)
Sep 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #31 of 47
I tried OPA2111 and OPA2227 on mine, and they are better than the stock one. The 2111 have more bass than the 2227.
The RPAC is different, it sounds more "natural" and warm than the mini.
I tested with a SR60, I'll give more details when I'll receive my 4.Ai 
smile.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:
Just got my HUD-mini, and it's pretty hard for me to hear the difference between it and MacBook Pro (13", Early 2011), paired with Sennheiser HD598. Wonder if it's my untrained ear, or if the MacBook Pro soundcard is really good, or if something in the equipment must be "burned in"...

Maybe I will notice improvement if putting in another opamp the reviews are suggesting...... Noble Hi-fi suggests the OPA2111KPG4 for biggest improvement over OPA2227p. Hmmm... What these reviewers are writing in their reviews sounds so nice and promising in text; "bigger soundstage! better bass etc!!", but since I can barely hear any difference in the stock unit, if any, from my computer, wonder if I will from opamp switch.

If you don't notice the Macbook's onboard audio making a pop noise everytime it turns on and off, you're blessed. That noise gave me a headache everytime.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 47
I updated my original post with new impressions - I'm basically done with my review except for pictures. 

You'd be surprised how good some headphone jacks are in laptops, home theater receivers, or integrated amps. Then again you'd also be surprised at how bad many of them are. If you found one that satisfies you then be happy and enjoy it! Most of the laptops I've used (non-Mac) have been somewhere in the range of poor to terrible. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #35 of 47
Bought and put in a OPA2227. Still can't hear much or any difference. D: I think... Not sure. Haha... :D
By the way, most of my music is MP3 320kbps. Would you say I'd more easily hear the difference if I listen to lossless instead? Or should I be able to hear the difference with high-bitrate lossy formats too? Can't say I'm very good at hearing difference between MP3 320 kbps and lossless...

Quote:
If you don't notice the Macbook's onboard audio making a pop noise everytime it turns on and off, you're blessed. That noise gave me a headache everytime.

I do notice it, but it's far from annoying for me, it isn't loud (in my gear at least), and can only be heard a while after the audio has stopped (in other words, it doesn't disturb music).

Quote:

You'd be surprised how good some headphone jacks are in laptops, home theater receivers, or integrated amps. Then again you'd also be surprised at how bad many of them are. If you found one that satisfies you then be happy and enjoy it! Most of the laptops I've used (non-Mac) have been somewhere in the range of poor to terrible. 

Yeah, seems like the one in my Mac seems to be great! I was thinking when i bought the HUD-mini that it wouldn't be night/day difference, but that I should somewhat easily be able to hear the difference, but I can't. I do have feelings of what might be different (and better), but I'm not sure. It may be placebo because I bought something for over 100 dollars. It's very hard to tell. Maybe my ears are not trained enough, I'm kind of new in this hobby. :)

Quote:
I also used to think there wasn't much of a difference, but now I can't even go back to onboard. No matter how good it is.

I too think that if I keep the HUD-mini and try to practice my hearing of details I might turn out thinking like you. Your comment makes me more motivated to give it more time. I want to actively listen to more music lately (no multitasking, just music). So it's hard for me to right now decide if I should sell it or not...

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:
Thanks for the review project86. Looks like another strong contender from Audinst in the entry-level market.

Yep, I'm glad to see them continue their focus on "bargain" devices. Many companies start out with low priced gear and move upwards as they become more popular. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #40 of 47
Is the HUD-mini worth buying to use just as a DAC to output to a tube amp like the Little Dot Mk III for home use on a budget?

My thinking being, when I'm on the road, I can take just the HUD-mini with my laptop and get decent sound with HD600 or IEMs... then at home, I can bypass the slightly lackluster amp section of the HUD-mini.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:
Is the HUD-mini worth buying to use just as a DAC to output to a tube amp like the Little Dot Mk III for home use on a budget?

My thinking being, when I'm on the road, I can take just the HUD-mini with my laptop and get decent sound with HD600 or IEMs... then at home, I can bypass the slightly lackluster amp section of the HUD-mini.

Sure! That makes good use of it, and honestly I think that's the sort of thing Audinst had in mind when they came up with the device. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Would using the RCA line out on the back by-pass the internal amp?

I just bought an M-Stage at the $165 sale price...

Yes, it uses the pre-amp output stage of the Audinst and is not amplified in the same way as the headphone jack. It's specifically tailored to be used as you intend - adding an external amp. 

$165 is a great deal for the M-Stage! Plus $130 for the Audinst makes a nice combo for $300 or so. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #45 of 47
Hi,
what's the difference between opa2227u, opa2227p or opa2227pa? Which model should I buy for the Hud Mini, maybe a link on ebay from which seller (but i need an international shipping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back