Audigy/X-fi setting - headphones or 2.0?
Jan 9, 2006 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

j0j081

Head-Fier
When listening with a decent headphone like the hd555s should I have my Creative A2 ZS set on 2.0 or headphones for the listening method? I know the sound card alters the volume slightly but I haven't been able to pinpoint what else. Anyone know from experience what is best?
580smile.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 10
You haven't been able to hear what else? Dear lord, man, get your ears cleaned. 2.0 Speakers ALWAYS. On the Headphone setting it EQs the Bass up until it distorts and makes the whole thing sound like crap.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Well it's pretty simple to test it yourself. Disable cmss and use 2 speaker mode. Then set it to headphone mode. You won't hear a difference. But now enable cmss and you will blow your ears off.

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 10
2.0...... with or wihtout CMSS, I havent tested but when sing headphones it sounds like crap.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 10
I wouldn't bundle Audigy and X-Fi in together, the option probably does a different thing on each card.

I just tested on my X-Fi and the headphone setting does seem to have a little more bass than the 2.0. I'll keep it on headphone though, I like what the X-Fi headphone CMSS does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 10
I personally would recommend the 2/2.1 setting.The "headphone" setting sounds horrible.I have the Audigy4 and would think you can switch back and forth like I can while a song is playing to tell the difference in the speaker settings window.

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 10
the headphone setting sounds awful to me on X-Fi, then again my friend with ATH-A900's uses it all the time, i don't like how he has his set up.

i get the best results with these settings:

speakers set to 5.1
cmss set to Stereo surround @ 50%
24-bit crystalizer @ 70%
EQ left flat
bass knob turned 1 notch to the right
treble knob turned 1 notch to the left

then again this is with Beyerdynamic DT-770's (currently unamped) which are brighter/bassier than most. turning the treble down a bit takes the edge off of the DT's, and the bass shines when it's turned up a little (i'm kind of a bass head)

headphone settings are for cheap/crappy headphones, it makes them sound better, if you already have some good monitors, headphone/cmss settings just make things sound boomier and muddier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back