Audible difference between the 1212m and X-Fi using digital?
Dec 20, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #46 of 63
I could just scream, "sell it to me sketchr(!)".

But maybe I would come to the same conclusions as you did. :/

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #47 of 63
hehe it wasn't at 48k :] , i left everything default after I reinstalled patchmix. Asio was forsure running, it showed in patchmix, the resampler by the way was left at 44.1k
wink.gif
trust me it is the EXACT same sound, from the tiny subtle sounds, same exact presence. to the highs, mids, and lows, no audible difference..it only took me 5 minutes to keep my cardas
wink.gif
I honestly thought the day before conducting the comparison that the 1212m had better seperation, simply placebo. Makes sense well from what I know; bit matched signal->cable->dac , its going to take more than an assumption on how I conducted the comparison to convince me the 1212 eminates a better signal, maybe i should I use the analogous out? Thought glass toslink was the way
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #48 of 63
Can you hear any differences, when listening to music, through the analog out, from the 1212 and the x-fi?

What about differences, still for music, listening through the motherboard integrated soundcard and x-fi?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe it wasn't at 48k :] , i left everything default after I reinstalled patchmix. Asio was forsure running, it showed in patchmix, the resampler by the way was left at 44.1k
wink.gif
trust me it is the EXACT same sound, from the tiny subtle sounds, same exact presence. to the highs, mids, and lows, no audible difference..it only took me 5 minutes to keep my cardas
wink.gif
I honestly thought the day before conducting the comparison that the 1212m had better seperation, simply placebo. Makes sense well from what I know; bit matched signal->cable->dac , its going to take more than an assumption on how I conducted the comparison to convince me the 1212 eminates a better signal, maybe i should I use the analogous out? Thought glass toslink was the way
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #49 of 63
no need to compare the x-fi to an onboard soundcard, I'm using an external dac as part of my source, so i need the bit-match playback capability, that my onboard sound does not provide. Both the x-fi and the 1212 offer bit-match playback. I've pm'd individuals if there are any differences between a coax cable and the glass toslink, no difference to their ears
smily_headphones1.gif
Am I the only one who has done an actual side by side comparison between these cards..glad I didn't rely on memory
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #50 of 63
alright I was a little brash on the onboard to x-fi part. My only headphones use to be e4c's, and for a month or two, my current PC w/x-fi had to go m.i.a due to the lack of funds on purchasing a video card. Sooooo I used an HP PC you usually see at Walmart or any other store for that matter as a source. Sound wasn't too bad, I eq'd tracks in WMP etc, it just could never be right..the sound from my iriver mp3 player had better sq..anyways when i finally came about on getting a vid card and booted up my neglected pc, sound was much, much, better. Keep in mind both the x-fi, and 1212m have onboard DACs, as for my current setup it has a Realtek ALC850 built in soundcard..it probably doesn't have onboard dacs, so I doubt it can compare to the x-fi..

Dec 21, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #51 of 63
Every soundcard has dacs (Digital (to) Analogue Converter), otherwise you wouldn't be able to plug any speakers of HP's to it.
wink.gif

They just differ in quality.

Dec 23, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #52 of 63
I think I've made up my mind about getting the X-Fi. It will suit me better as it also has better compatibility with games.

But now I have another problem; How should I get the best possible sound to a dac?
The regular X-Fi has only a 1/8"mini coax digital out, and there is no such digital cables. Then I have to use an adapter which I think will degrade the sound (or won't it?) or buy a custom cable at BJC or Moon Audio (is there another place that makes custom cables?).

But even if they make me a custom cable there is no such thing as an 75ohm mini connector from what I've read anyway, so it still won't be optimal... :/

Next thing is to buy a higher tier X-Fi card to get the front bay with real connectors.
But will that be even worse, as the signal then travels to the bay with a regular flat cable? (as it seems anyway)

Third option is to get the Elite Pro with the breakout box. Would that be better as the coax out then would be outside the case and not as jitter sensitive(?). But how is the quality of the transfer to the breakout box?

Or is it possible to make your own digital rca or bnc output from the pins on top of the card?

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #54 of 63
On a side note, the front panel's optical out on my X-Fi isn't good at all. I was using the optical digital output for a good length of time (at least a month), and switching back to the rear panel's digital coax out and things sound quite a bit better. Far less harshe on the top end, even male vocals were getting nasty simblance with the optical output.

If anyone else cares to verify this, please do so. I have no way to A/B this properly.

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Executer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Redo, did you also tried the front panel's digital coax out? Maybe the MicroDac works better with electrical input than with optical.

No I haven't tried it, but I may test it out soon. The only problem at the moment is I don't really have any good adapters for mini to rca, I have to rig up a connector adapter that's long as sin
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...How should I get the best possible sound to a dac? The regular X-Fi has only a 1/8"mini coax digital out, and there is no such digital cables.

Go to Radio Shack. Buy a 1/8 mono mini to RCA mono coupler. Done. Photo below. RCA side should be female, mini side should be male. Further comments below.

mono.jpg

I'm going to be honest and tell you there's no way I'm going to read this whole thread; some just don't know how to express their thoughts. But I've read enough to pick up on something: there's more factors at play than you have accounted for. Do note that the X-Fi digital output is either 48KHz or 96KHz PCM--that can be a factor for people running 44.1KHz DACs.

Secret: have your cake and eat it too. Find a DAC that you like to listen to. Then you can play your music as well as your games through it. That's what I do. Here's how it works. Your USB device is connected to the DAC. The X-Fi is connected to one of the USB device's digital inputs. Now you can run ASIO for music, and X-Fi for games, and have optimal sound in both situations.

Dec 24, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do note that the X-Fi digital output is either 48KHz or 96KHz PCM--that can be a factor for people running 44.1KHz DACs.

It can also be 44.1 khz in audio creation mode and bit-perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back