Audible difference between the 1212m and X-Fi using digital?
Nov 28, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I can tell from your posts that you love the AV 710 A LOT... lol. Probably little too much!

well i like it because it works and it's dirt cheap compared to the rest... and does a fine job as a digital transport

however i have an open mind, i'm not loyal to this card..... if there's a better digital transport i'll switch
smily_headphones1.gif

so i've been following this forum to see if there's any real tests done between sound cards and their digital outputs (bit-perfect capable of course)

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I can tell from your posts that you love the AV 710 A LOT... lol. Probably little too much!

Why ?

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegasus21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the person wanted digital out not analogue out. The decoder of powerdvd would be analogue out.

So, we can still watch DVD as long as the headphone/speaker's connected to the analog out?

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you watch dvds with Powerdvd and the DTS decoder?

Yes. But if you want to pass a dolby or dts signal to your home digital receiver you can't. If you decode the signal first and just pass it through the analogue outs it works. But then its just 2 channel.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. But if you want to pass a dolby or dts signal to your home digital receiver you can't. If you decode the signal first and just pass it through the analogue outs it works. But then its just 2 channel.

Oh, that sucks.

I have some additional questions.
I am planning in getting a DAC-AH to complement the new soundcard.
If I go with the 1212m, would the DAC-AH be an upgrade? I have heard the 1212m is just as god as $300+ dacs (maybe even $500) and the AH is only $150.

If the DAC-AH isn't an improvement, or just sound roughly the same.
Would an X-Fi->DAC-AH be worse than just a stand alone 1212m?

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #22 of 63
I read something about how the E-MU cards all have the same digital outs, with the only differences between all of them in the analog outs (DACs, caps, etc). Is this correct?

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read something about how the E-MU cards all have the same digital outs, with the only differences between all of them in the analog outs (DACs, caps, etc). Is this correct?

No idea. Good question. If there isn't any difference, then there aren't any reason to buy a 1212m for transport over the 0404. But as the 1212m is so cheap now, I would buy that anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #24 of 63
Or should I just abandon the sound card thing completely and get me a USB DAC? Is that better still?

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea. Good question. If there isn't any difference, then there aren't any reason to buy a 1212m for transport over the 0404. But as the 1212m is so cheap now, I would buy that anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, the E-MU 1820 review over at Toms Hardware seems to indicate this..

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/06/...ive/page2.html

Quote:

There are three models of the E-MU, all based on the same PCI E-MU 1010 card. This foundation is the purely digital component of the product, while the analog part varies depending on the model. The E-MU 1212m is coupled with a PCI E-MU 0202 card, which is more simple that the other models: it makes do with two symmetrical analog inputs and two analog outputs for 6.35 mm jack plugs and a MIDI link (input and output using two mini-DIN sockets).

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 63
Dec 19, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #27 of 63
alright i have a glass toslink, and an emu1212m chillin right next to me..i dont feel like waiting for an answer for the same question you have, so imma compare this 1212m to my xfi which is connected to my modded zhaolu with a 1/8" to coax bjc made..let the games begin.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright i have a glass toslink, and an emu1212m chillin right next to me..i dont feel like waiting for an answer for the same question you have, so imma compare this 1212m to my xfi which is connected to my modded zhaolu with a 1/4" to coax bjc made..let the games begin.

Splendid I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 63
alright ill try and be as fair, and completely logical with this..ill let the 1212m burn in for a couple of days. (this was suggested in another thread pertaning to the 1212m) I'll use music with no artifacts in the background, with a lot of sounds involved in the music (to emphasize soundstage differences). To make things less complicated, ill have the xfi xtreme music installed to a completely different computer, so there wont be any interferences at all with drivers etc, f the bs
cool.gif
so this is how i will conduct the comparison:
icon10.gif

pc1) x-fi xtrememusic -> 1/8" to coax (bjc brand) ->

pc2)1212m -> glass toslink ->

both cables will be connected simultaneously to a modded zhaolu dac+upgraded amp (amp is comparable apparently to corda headfive) so ill be able to switch between the two with a touch of a button.

music will come from cd's through foobar with asio, with only resampler as the only dsp. the cables seem to be fair (both cost about 20-30 bucks) i have a few assumptions (positive ones) that seem to lean towards the 1212m compared to the xfi, but ill keep things fair and wait with the direct comparison
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright i have a glass toslink, and an emu1212m chillin right next to me..i dont feel like waiting for an answer for the same question you have, so imma compare this 1212m to my xfi which is connected to my modded zhaolu with a 1/4" to coax bjc made..let the games begin.

Ooo, I can't wait
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back