Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)
Jun 11, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #212 of 330
Great thread and thanks.  I just auditioned the 2 and 3 at a local dealer.  I liked the 3, but not the bass on the 2 that much.  The 3's were nice, seemed a bit slow. I use the Noble Savants for iem's and currently the PSB's for cans. I'm going to sell the PSB's even though I like them as I seem to use the Savants all the time.  I will be getting a balanced amp soon I think and want detachable cables so I'm thinking the Audeze or Ether C's.  The dealer has units in the store that are about 1.5 years old.  how many revisions back are these? He thinks they were the current version. Said that it's been a problem at times working with the new owners.  I'm starting to get concerned with the company after reading this thread.  If I decide to purchase the 3's, how much would it cost me to all the newest upgrades?  I believe someone earlier in this thread said you could do an upgrade.  The store's model has the brown suede looking pads.  I didn't hear them in balanced mode as they used an Audeze Decker I think it was called.  Do the 3's this old come with the travel box and a balance AND 1/4" cable as stock? i want to make sure that I get everything that should come with them or I will deduct the costs of things from what I will be willing to pay.  Does anyone know the actually dealer cost of what he paid for these?  I want to make sure that I get a great deal IF I get them, but also make sure he gets some profit.  

Thanks in advance for any answers.  P

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #213 of 330

We stock headphones once an order is placed, that way the customer get the latest update. We throw in a free upgrade cable with every purchase as well!

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/headphones/audeze.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 11, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #214 of 330
Great thread and thanks.  I just auditioned the 2 and 3 at a local dealer.  I liked the 3, but not the bass on the 2 that much.  The 3's were nice, seemed a bit slow. I use the Noble Savants for iem's and currently the PSB's for cans. I'm going to sell the PSB's even though I like them as I seem to use the Savants all the time.  I will be getting a balanced amp soon I think and want detachable cables so I'm thinking the Audeze or Ether C's.  The dealer has units in the store that are about 1.5 years old.  how many revisions back are these? He thinks they were the current version. Said that it's been a problem at times working with the new owners.  I'm starting to get concerned with the company after reading this thread.  If I decide to purchase the 3's, how much would it cost me to all the newest upgrades?  I believe someone earlier in this thread said you could do an upgrade.  The store's model has the brown suede looking pads.  I didn't hear them in balanced mode as they used an Audeze Decker I think it was called.  Do the 3's this old come with the travel box and a balance AND 1/4" cable as stock? i want to make sure that I get everything that should come with them or I will deduct the costs of things from what I will be willing to pay.  Does anyone know the actually dealer cost of what he paid for these?  I want to make sure that I get a great deal IF I get them, but also make sure he gets some profit.  

Thanks in advance for any answers.  P

Aww, thank you for the kind words ^^

I can't really nail down what revision those LCD-3's you demoed are, but here are some pointers:

• All 2016 Audeze upgrades and models were released after November 2015 (except Sine and EL-8 Titanium).
    With that in mind, if the owner is right and he's had Audeze headphones for 1.5 years, then they are certainly NOT current 2016 models.
  • Every Audeze headphone released to the public has a certificate of authenticity. If this is dated after Nov 2015, or 2016, it's part of the 2016 update.
  • You can check the serial number with Audeze Customer Services to see what revision, or how old, the headphones are, but again certificate of authenticity is an easier way to do that anyway.
  • To ascertain cost of upgrade, use the serial number of your chosen pair of headphones and check with Audeze Customer Services. If the cost of headphones plus upgrade is cheaper than getting a new 2016 LCD-3, go for it. Otherwise, just go for a 2016 model.
  • I'm virtually positive on this, all 2016 Audeze headphones come in a white cardboard outer box.
  • Rather than use convoluted revision numbers, I started to use a single year to differentiate from earlier models. This seems to have worked and even Audeze Customer Services uses it too ^^

Hope that helps!

^^

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #215 of 330
We stock headphones once an order is placed, that way the customer get the latest update. We throw in a free upgrade cable with every purchase as well!

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/headphones/audeze.html

This is also quite cool too ^^

Not taking your thunder away PLUSSOUND, but Moon Audio also does a similar practice.

Either way ctsooner22, companies such as the above will guide you with further help and purchasing decisions or questions.

As PLUSSOUND said, they throw in a cable; WIN.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #216 of 330
I have no problem purchasing his older pair, however I notice that all the lcd3's I see on their site or others who sell them come in a Pelican box with a single ended, balanced and what seems to be a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer, plus the headphones.  I just want to make sure that I get everything they are supposed to come with or get a reduction accordingly.  Does anyone know the actual dealer cost of the LCD3's?  Just like buying a car, I'd use that cost and go up from there to make sure I can do an upgrade while still saving money, but still make sure he gets some profit.  He's usually fair about this, but I have to do my own research, lol.  Points on cans seem to range from 33-50% based on what I've seen (I'm friends with many dealers as well as manufacturers of very high end gear).  

the other question I have, what cables are folks using with these?  Are the stock cables good or are the aftermarket cables that much better?  I'm probably getting the new Ayre QX-5 DAC/Streamer/Headphone amp once the chips come out next month and then sell off my Empirical Audio OSDE/SE and it's matching Steve Nugent built Mac Mini server with Paul Hynes power supply. (keeping the 300GB or so of all high res music that's well recorded, lol).  I spoke with the folk at Ayre and the amp seems to be of very high quality.  That's one reason I'm thinking of replacing my older Stax Lambda's that I sold last year (still have the portable amp I used with them on my ship years ago if anyone has interest, lol).  I use Noble Savants for all my listening now as I haven't picked up the PSB's since I got the Savant's.  I never thought  I'd spend this type o money on headphones again, lol....but here I am.

Thanks all.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #217 of 330
  I have no problem purchasing his older pair, however I notice that all the lcd3's I see on their site or others who sell them come in a Pelican box with a single ended, balanced and what seems to be a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer, plus the headphones.  I just want to make sure that I get everything they are supposed to come with or get a reduction accordingly.  Does anyone know the actual dealer cost of the LCD3's?  Just like buying a car, I'd use that cost and go up from there to make sure I can do an upgrade while still saving money, but still make sure he gets some profit.  He's usually fair about this, but I have to do my own research, lol.  Points on cans seem to range from 33-50% based on what I've seen (I'm friends with many dealers as well as manufacturers of very high end gear).  

the other question I have, what cables are folks using with these?  Are the stock cables good or are the aftermarket cables that much better?  I'm probably getting the new Ayre QX-5 DAC/Streamer/Headphone amp once the chips come out next month and then sell off my Empirical Audio OSDE/SE and it's matching Steve Nugent built Mac Mini server with Paul Hynes power supply. (keeping the 300GB or so of all high res music that's well recorded, lol).  I spoke with the folk at Ayre and the amp seems to be of very high quality.  That's one reason I'm thinking of replacing my older Stax Lambda's that I sold last year (still have the portable amp I used with them on my ship years ago if anyone has interest, lol).  I use Noble Savants for all my listening now as I haven't picked up the PSB's since I got the Savant's.  I never thought  I'd spend this type o money on headphones again, lol....but here I am.

Thanks all.

Hey dude, I can't really help with your first question, but for the second, I strongly recommend Double Helix Cables as the finest headphone cable maker, but if you want quicker cables, Moon Audio, ALO Audio and Forza Audio Works will help too. There's also Nordost, WyWires and Kimber Kable if you want a big branded headphone cable.

I personally use DHC on all my headphones.
For the EL-8 Titanium I currently use a DHC Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire 25AWG balanced cable.
However, Peter and I have been up to something cool, which I'll post now but as a separate post...

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #218 of 330
Hi guy's, just wrote a mega post, over on the Double Helix Cables thread, regarding a special project Peter from (from DHC) and I have been discussing, which ties in directly to the EL-8 series.

More so, Peter has developed a brand new alternative flagship series of cables called Molecule Elite 22.

However, as this is related to my own Audeze EL-8 Titanium headphones, and this topic is not about cables and is about Audeze headphones, please click the link above to read. It is a long post.

I hope it inspires you guys if your thinking of getting an ultimate cable for your EL-8 that is more practical, flexible and more affordable than the Complement4/Spore4.
Furthermore, the new Molecule Elite 22 series works with almost any headphone too (that has detachable cables).

Enjoy!

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #219 of 330

Thanks so much for sharing everything.  Audioquest is actually coming out with a new line of headphone cables at very affordable prices.  I was told by someone I trust that they too will be very special and have plenty of termination options.  If I get the 3's (still on the fence, but they will be for his cost he said. We've done business since 77 and he's very honest and even shows me the cost he paid which may or may not be lower than if it was his cost today, lol). I may just keep the stock cable and get my old amp up and working while I wait on my Ayre QX-5.  I've found that cables are the last thing I usually do unless they are sold up front 'instead' of the stock cables.  I will read your thread though.  Does DHC make IEM cables too?  My Savants have a 2pin and IF I also get the Onkyo DAP, I'll want the 2.5mm balanced cables and will need to purchase a set.  Sorry for all the questions, 

Back to the Audeze.  I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.  LCD-3 from 2014 will have rolled off bass (which is seemed to me to have), but if I pay the 250 or so to get the newer drivers installed, the bass won't roll off so quickly and will have more punch?  They will have more detail, but not quite the same warmth and glow and slowness of the 2014's?  How am I doing so far?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Thanks again for putting up with me.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #220 of 330

Thanks so much for sharing everything.  Audioquest is actually coming out with a new line of headphone cables at very affordable prices.  I was told by someone I trust that they too will be very special and have plenty of termination options.  If I get the 3's (still on the fence, but they will be for his cost he said. We've done business since 77 and he's very honest and even shows me the cost he paid which may or may not be lower than if it was his cost today, lol). I may just keep the stock cable and get my old amp up and working while I wait on my Ayre QX-5.  I've found that cables are the last thing I usually do unless they are sold up front 'instead' of the stock cables.  I will read your thread though.  Does DHC make IEM cables too?  My Savants have a 2pin and IF I also get the Onkyo DAP, I'll want the 2.5mm balanced cables and will need to purchase a set.  Sorry for all the questions, 

Back to the Audeze.  I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.  LCD-3 from 2014 will have rolled off bass (which is seemed to me to have), but if I pay the 250 or so to get the newer drivers installed, the bass won't roll off so quickly and will have more punch?  They will have more detail, but not quite the same warmth and glow and slowness of the 2014's?  How am I doing so far?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Thanks again for putting up with me.

Dude, ask away, we're all here to help ^^

Regarding cables, imho, Double Helix Cables is the best out of all third parties. However, I would choose Moon Audio or ALO Audio as alternatives, which I doubt will occur for me.
Double Helix Cables is very, very famous on Head-Fi and with reviewers outside this forum too.
And yes, DHC do IEM and headphone cables, single-ended and balanced, with ultrashort adapters.
Contact DHC via doubleheixcables[at]gmail[dot]com and Peter will work with you and your needs.
I must make this clear, there is a long wait per cable order, because Peter makes bespoke cables almost single handedly. Factor this in when considering a DHC cable. You can also customise your cables with 3D printed splits and custom sleeves. Lots of options dude.

I myself use two balanced cables for two of my headphones, Audeze EL-8 Titanium and Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's, using 2.5 mm Eidolic balanced connectors, with my Onkyo DP-X1.
Peter has made me a new EL-8 balanced cable based on the Molecule Elite 22 Silver line, an alternative flagship cable that's basically a Complement4 in a compact form. It shipped today so can't wait to get it!
Peter will also eventually make me a custom 2.5 mm to dual 3-Pin interconnect (hopefully also based on the Molecule Elite 22 Silver line) for use between my DP-X1 and future Cavalli Audio Carbon amp.

YMMV, and if you do choose another cable manufacturer, please post your opinions and thoughts.

Regarding how the new 2016 LCD-3 sounds compared to older models? I cannot answer that except to say that a large number of feedback indicates that the 2016 version is superior. Bear in mind, everyone has different physiological differences, tastes and wants.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #221 of 330
I cant compare the older LCD-3 models to the 2016 version, but from what I have read it is better both sound wise and in build quality (less RMA's).

I am also in the market for a new LCD (looking at X, 3 & 4).

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #222 of 330
Will need an amp for it while I wait for the Ayre QX5 and its balanced amp. Love king at the Heed, maybe a Schitt and possibly the Woo with the built in DAC. I know that headphone company in MT is about to launch a new line of amps too. Any suggestions? I have an AQ Red for portable but wl that drive the 3's for a few months?

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #223 of 330
Will need an amp for it while I wait for the Ayre QX5 and its balanced amp. Love king at the Heed, maybe a Schitt and possibly the Woo with the built in DAC. I know that headphone company in MT is about to launch a new line of amps too. Any suggestions? I have an AQ Red for portable but wl that drive the 3's for a few months?

I had a pair of 2014 Vintage LCD-3f' that had a driver failure and we're just updated. The bass is fuller and has more slam, additionally the clarity is improved. Nothing murky or to laid back about them now. Absolutely love them. Hoping to get a pair of the new LCD-XC into review, just waiting to hear back from Jonatin.

As far as cables go Peter, Double Helix, and Trevor, Norn Audio make the best cables available. You'll find that Norne is priced more attractively.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #224 of 330

It's too late now to get the Cavalli Audio Carbon amp, but I strongly recommend the extremely soon to be released (unless it has been?) iFi Audio Pro iCan.
That is end game at a super low price, with multiple balanced and single-ended outputs and inputs.

Seriously, look it up.

There's also Simaudio 430H or 430HAD, Schiit Audio stuff including Ragnarock, ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono, Woo Audio amps including WA7, WA8, WA22, etc, Violectric, Auralic Taurus Mk II, Wells Audio (expensive), Burson Audio, Dragon Inspire IHA-1, Oppo HA-1, Sennheiser HDA800, Ampsandsound Mogwai, Kenzie or Agartha, Raven Audio Goldfinch Tabletop System,....

There are so many dude...it's crazy.

But for me, iFi Audio Pro iCan is my choice, but as I can't afford that, I went for the final production run of Cavalli Audio Carbon, later to be delivered around September.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #225 of 330

It's too late now to get the Cavalli Audio Carbon amp, but I strongly recommend the extremely soon to be released (unless it has been?) iFi Audio Pro iCan.
That is end game at a super low price, with multiple balanced and single-ended outputs and inputs.

Seriously, look it up.

There's also Simaudio 430H or 430HAD, Schiit Audio stuff including Ragnarock, ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono, Woo Audio amps including WA7, WA8, WA22, etc, Violectric, Auralic Taurus Mk II, Wells Audio (expensive), Burson Audio, Dragon Inspire IHA-1, Oppo HA-1, Sennheiser HDA800, Ampsandsound Mogwai, Kenzie or Agartha, Raven Audio Goldfinch Tabletop System,....

There are so many dude...it's crazy.

But for me, iFi Audio Pro iCan is my choice, but as I can't afford that, I went for the final production run of Cavalli Audio Carbon, later to be delivered around September.

100% agree the iFi Audio Pro iCan is the way to go... beautiful amp, tons of features and finally released!

I am getting one for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back