Audeze XC- FOCAL CLEAR MG
Mar 31, 2021 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Alpha1Ric

Head-Fier
Hello

I'm looking for my high end headphone, and I'm undecided between LCD X - XC - and 3.

My style is more of slam in quality and soundstage (not too wide, but also that it is not bad, I have the HD800S).
The musicality ranges from soul, film soundtracks, rock (Metallica style), and a little bit of R&B.

If you have another recommendation around 1700 $, they are also welcome.

I've been reading youtubes and comments, and I'm a little lost. Where I live I can't hear the phones in the Audio Shops..

Thanks

Have nice day keep it healthy

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 29
Bom dia,

The LCD-3F is analytical and very resolving. In some ways it feels like a planar HD 800. So I think it would help to have a very good source and amp to get the most out of the LCD-3F. Maybe the 2C is more enjoyable overall for most kinds of music. With the LCD-3F I have to concentrate on the music, for me it requires attention.

I haven't heard the X or XC.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 29
Nice! Good problem to have. Do you have a good DAC/AMP? People will want to know what the rest of your chain looks like. Definitely look at some of the ZMF stuff. I just got an Atticus and love it. It's really easy to listen to but you' need a decent amp to get the most out of it.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 29
Nice! Good problem to have. Do you have a good DAC/AMP? People will want to know what the rest of your chain looks like. Definitely look at some of the ZMF stuff. I just got an Atticus and love it. It's really easy to listen to but you' need a decent amp to get the most out of it.
Well, from what I can tell ZMF is incapable of making headphones that aren't amazing in sound and looks. But he was asking about Audeze planars so... :wink:

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 29
Bom dia,

The LCD-3F is analytical and very resolving. In some ways it feels like a planar HD 800. So I think it would help to have a very good source and amp to get the most out of the LCD-3F. Maybe the 2C is more enjoyable overall for most kinds of music. With the LCD-3F I have to concentrate on the music, for me it requires attention.

I haven't heard the X or XC.
Good point! If you only have one high-end headphone, the LCD-3 might be a bit fatiguing. The XC is probably my least favorite Audeze. It's not bad but not great for the entry fee.

I'd also look at the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Niore or the standard Aeon 2 closed.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 29
Well, from what I can tell ZMF is incapable of making headphones that aren't amazing in sound and looks. But he was asking about Audeze planars so... :wink:
Very true! I feel like I would be doing him a disservice by not keeping an open mind for alternatives. :dt880smile: Comfort is also outstanding on the ZMF... IMO of course.

If we are stickily talking about Audeze... Bang for the buck winner for me would be the LCD-2. It's more mellow than the 3 so would be good for long listening sessions.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 29
DAC - I have chord qutest
AMP - I have violetrc V280

The problem is the youtubers LOL, there are a lot of reviews, the only one I read that can possibly say something more concrete is LCD XC, because it doesn’t need so much EQ.

I’m not looking for the best headphone, I’m looking for the headphone that can possibly cover more of the sound styles described above.
Aheadphone that costs 1700 $ already plays very well and has a lot of quality.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 29
There are too many choices these days. People are just going to have to read threads about gear they're interested in and hopefully get lucky.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 29
DAC - I have chord qutest
AMP - I have violetrc V280

The problem is the youtubers LOL, there are a lot of reviews, the only one I read that can possibly say something more concrete is LCD XC, because it doesn’t need so much EQ.

I’m not looking for the best headphone, I’m looking for the headphone that can possibly cover more of the sound styles described above.
Aheadphone that costs 1700 $ already plays very well and has a lot of quality.
Ignore youtube, it's 99.9% crap. The only thing worse is audio scientology.

You have a good signal chain. You have to say more about what sound signature you want in your headphones. The V280 will drive pretty much anything (I don't know about an HE-6).

Do you want analytical/resolving, warm/romantic, slam/engaging?

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 29
Ignore youtube, it's 99.9% crap. The only thing worse is audio scientology.

You have a good signal chain. You have to say more about what sound signature you want in your headphones. The V280 will drive pretty much anything (I don't know about an HE-6).

Do you want analytical/resolving, warm/romantic, slam/engaging?
1- slam/engaging, with a follow warm/romantic.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 29
LCD-2C and save yourself a lot of money. But I don't know if the X or XC would be better.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 29
I'm in a similar situation. I bought everything without hearing it. I read as much as my brain can handle, I ask questions and value the answers from people with similar musical tastes and gear, and hope for the best. So far I didn't get disappointed.

I don't EQ anything except my Fostex TR-X00, otherwise they're generally unlistenable for me. I would have to EQ the 800s to listen to Joni Mitchell, so I just don't use them for that.

I think it's a mistake to rely on EQ. Try to find a set of headphones that has the sound signature you want. There is nothing wrong with the 2C. And ignore youtube or you will lose time and money :wink:

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 29
There are threads on the X and XC here, I can't help with those since I didn't hear them. But you can get answers from guys who heard them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back