Audeze vs electrostat?
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audio technica

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm getting to the point where I'll have enough money to do something significant with.  However, I'd love it if there were some reviews (note -- some, not just one) comparing the audeze lcd-2 with electrostat 'phones.  I'm just not sure which one I am better off investing in.  I'm interested in things like bass response, openness, and accuracy.

Anyways, how do the audeze lcd-2 and a lower end electrostat compare using this rubric of sorts?

If anyone's willing to sell an LCD-2 for $500 or less -- PM ME.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Hello,

I'm getting to the point where I'll have enough money to do something significant with.  However, I'd love it if there were some reviews (note -- some, not just one) comparing the audeze lcd-2 with electrostat 'phones.  I'm just not sure which one I am better off investing in.  I'm interested in things like bass response, openness, and accuracy.

Anyways, how do the audeze lcd-2 and a lower end electrostat compare using this rubric of sorts?

If anyone's willing to sell an LCD-2 for $500 or less -- PM ME.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi! I have compared the LCD-2 rev 2 to the Stax SR-507, Stax Lambda Professional and the SR-007 mk2. 

IMO

The Stax phones definitely sound more open and spacious. The PRO's and SR-007 are more effortless sounding than the LCD-2, especially in the treble where they have significantly more air and texture. The SR-507 is "rougher" sounding than it's brothers and tonality reminds me of the HD 800 (although I like HD 800 more than the SR-507). The SR-507 is a nice electrostat for genres that require more attack and slam than the SR-007 and the PRO can provide. 

The SR-007 is VERY effortless sounding, absolutely no hint of even 0000.1% harshness to the sound. The LCD-2 is almost as effortless but the midrange is juicier, heavier and more masculine, I would say. The SR-507 again reminds me of the HD 800 with slightly smoother vocals and the Lambda PRO sound extremely balanced to my ears. Nothing sticks out with the Lambda PRO, it just presents music with liquidity and openness. May be the best headphone I've ever heard. 

In terms of bass, the LCD-2 trumps the estats. The bass is simply fantastic. Linear extention, wonderful impact. Just wonderful bass. 

So overall, the LCD-2 is definitely darker and more "veiled" than the estats, but has more heft, better bass and meatier mid range. The LCD-2 is a very enjoyable headphone, and I would take it over the SR-007 (which to me sounds a bit to laid-back and smooth for some music, a bit dull sounding I would say) and the SR-507 any time. The Lambda PRO though, has the slight upper hand to my ears. 

I hope this helps! Cheers :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I've heared most Stax estats in the course of the years, and I've heared many vintage and actual orthos including the LCD2'2. I'd summarize it that way: There may be folks who find estats more enjoyable than orthos. But not many, and these must be clinical folk/jazz/classical listeners.

I agree with Lan that the top tier Staxes are different though. There, they've made better use of the planar principle, so you get bass worth mentioning.

For the record: I do not think that "the" estat per se needs to sound very different from an ortho, as both use planar systems. As Stax is the only real producer left, we should rather talk about the Stax house sound - and these guys definetely have an affinity towards a thinner and brighter presentation.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 8
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I've heared most Stax estats in the course of the years, and I've heared many vintage and actual orthos including the LCD2'2. I'd summarize it that way: There may be folks who find estats more enjoyable than orthos. But not many, and these must be clinical folk/jazz/classical listeners.

I agree with Lan that the top tier Staxes are different though. There, they've made better use of the planar principle, so you get bass worth mentioning.

For the record: I do not think that "the" estat per se needs to sound very different from an ortho, as both use planar systems. As Stax is the only real producer left, we should rather talk about the Stax house sound - and these guys definetely have an affinity towards a thinner and brighter presentation.

I wouldn't say the Staxes sound bright at all. I would say the LCD-2 sound dark. But I like that, nice complementing sound signature to something like the HD 800 (which I also love, but not for hours of listening) 

The SR-007 is easily the "darkest" sounding Stax I've heard. It is soooo laid-back and smooth, very unique.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, it helps that you can plug any ortho into most audio devices and get sound, even if underdriven. With electrostatics, there's simply no dodging the amp requirement, so you have to budget for that too.

I haven't heard the LCD-2; maybe I'll get my chance some day. But the appeal of Stax to me (at least Lambda-series models; currently have tried a vintage Lambda and an SR-202) is that airy, ambient, atmospheric sort of presentation. Works nicely with games, so long as you don't demand to be slammed around by bassy explosions or anything.

Oh, and there's the comfort. I could wear them all day, though the Lambda Nova series onward has a noticeably higher clamping force (vintage Lambdas rest on your head and ears more than they clamp), and the SR-507 apparently moreso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back