Audeze SINE Series
Sep 18, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2,581 of 4,790
http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=1675

We use several mobile amps for testing - HRT dSp, Centrance Dacport, ALO RX, iFi ICan, Chord Mojo etc. . All of them work well with the Sines and at the end it is user preference.

Quote:

HTR streamer DSP unit

What is it?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #2,582 of 4,790
Yea, I know, but I would also prefer all the advantages to the Cipher cable, the amp/DAC ect.... I do not care to strap a separate portable amp with extra cables to my phone, I've done that before and it was always a pain. I was just hoping there was some updated news on the real se of a cipher cable alone accessory.

James

One thing you could look at is the Apple CCK with a Dragonfly - probably Red as that will definitely be able to provide enough juice for the SINE.

It may not be as neat as the Cipher cable, but it's still very portable, although missing the inline controls and mic. The main advantage that you'll have with the Dragonfly is that you'll be able to use it with pretty much everything - iOS, Android (depending on OTG support), Mac, Windows and Linux, whereas with the Cipher cable you're stuck with iOS devices, and only those with a Lighting port. That's the reason I hardly ever use the Cipher cable.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #2,583 of 4,790
Some very interesting measurements of the SINE have been posted on SoundStage's measurement site.
ph34r.gif

Their FR measurements seems to show significantly less bass below 100Hz than Innerfidelity's measurement.

Even though SoundStage's FR doesn't have any compensation curve applied, both DF and FF curves are dead flat below 100Hz, so it wouldn't change SoundStage's measured response below 100Hz if it either curve was applied.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1590:audeze-sine-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeSINE.pdf

Also, They measured a 4dB boost at 50Hz when the Cipher cable is used.

This measurement was made using a different method than the one above, which is probably why the bass response is different (and looks closer to Innerfidelity's FR measurement).

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,587 of 4,790
Is this the only option so far? What's the price? Can anyone post a pic where this is on the phone?

As a matter of fact, I ordered a pair from Vesper Audio.  Here are the pictures of them on my Sine:
Don't be put off by the specks...my camera flash accentuated the dust particles...

The ear pads were $57 with $11 tracked shipping to the U.S.  They do not take PayPal without some pre-arrangement but I was able to pay by MoneyGram with no problem.  They will require you to specify the pad thickness since they don't (at the moment) have a set of stock pads.  I opted for 2cm thick and velour because the leatherette stock pads were hurting my ears.  They appear well-made, but note the smaller ear opening.  Also, the leather mounting rim on the back is wider, making it a bit more difficult to mount...but definitely not impossible.  These points aren't knocks against the pads, just pointing out details.  They feel like they'll get warm after a while (they are velour after all) but are much more comfortable than the stock pads.  Vesper Audio does offer a leather pad option.

As far as listening impressions, I can only say your mileage will probably vary, so don't use my word alone in making a decision because my hearing perception may not line up with yours.  I will say that (for me, at least) I am happy with the sound with these pads!  Trying them with a FiiO X5 Gen 2 DAP/E12A Amp combo and a Questyle QP1R:

My initial impression with the FiiO X5 Gen 2 DAP/E12A Amp combo is that the bass and treble is slightly enhanced and the mids pushed back a small bit making the sound a little more "V" shaped.  The sub-bass may have some slight roll off but I still hear a good amount of "punch" (these pads don't seal to your ears like the stock pads so the sense of impact may be diminished).  The sound stage is smaller and closer, sounding more intimate.  I don't think the changes take away from the sound at all...to me, they make the Sine sound more dynamic than planar...more "musical".  

Interestingly, the Questyle QP1R and Sine sounds more balanced with the new pads.  The intimate sound stage is still there.  I'm listening to the Eagles "Hotel California" and it sounds fantastic!

I find Vesper Audio's pads a good alternative to the stock pads.  Be prepared for a possible change in sound though...which for me, turned out just fine.  I will be using these as my regular pads for my music and keeping my Sine paired with my QP1R since I like the balanced sound.

So, until Audeze offers a vegan leather or microfiber ear pad replacement, Vesper Audio currently has the only purpose-made replacement ear pad (if you are looking for more alternatives, there are other "mod" options mentioned earlier in this forum).  They are a little on the expensive side but for me and my ears, it was money well spent!

Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Once again, all the above was IMHO and YMMV! 
biggrin.gif

PPS - I just noticed Vesper Audio is now offering some Over-the-Ear pads for the Sine as well!  I'd be curious to try those out!

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2,588 of 4,790
Hey guys,

I was following this thread pretty much from beginning.

1 month ago I was finally able to audition SINEs at my local seller, and I noticed that when I tilted my head to left or right side,
it fell like I was loosing the sound from them, similar to when you pull headphone slightly away from ear.
I can't recall if it was on both sides or only one side, but I was told this should not happen.

Can anyone else comment on this ? It was demo pair, unwrapped only once before my audition.

Bobi

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2,589 of 4,790
  Hey guys,

I was following this thread pretty much from beginning.

1 month ago I was finally able to audition SINEs at my local seller, and I noticed that when I tilted my head to left or right side,
it fell like I was loosing the sound from them, similar to when you pull headphone slightly away from ear.
I can't recall if it was on both sides or only one side, but I was told this should not happen.

Can anyone else comment on this ? It was demo pair, unwrapped only once before my audition.

Bobi

The stock pads create a seal with the ears that makes the sound the same on both sides.  If you are tilting your head, it is most likely affecting the seal, thus the sound.  Curiously enough, with the stock pads, I could pull the ear cups slightly away from my ears and the sound would change...increasing in volume and, to me at least, sounding even better than the pads sealed against my ears.  As longs as you keep the pads sealed against your ears, they should sound just fine but you wouldn't want to jog or exercise with them on...
wink_face.gif

Hope this helps...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Once again, all the above was IMHO and YMMV! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #2,591 of 4,790
It seems pad price is a little high.
frown.gif

I won't argue that point at all...but these guys aren't mass producing this stuff either, it's made to order.  And, as I mentioned, farther back in this thread are some folks that used other headphone's pads on the Sine.  There's also someone who 3D-printed an adapter for larger pads.  Of course, I think Audeze should/could step up to the plate and introduce some alternative pads since the Sine is obviously in great demand.  If the LCD series can have a leather or vegan pad option, why not the Sine..?
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Hey Audeze, I could use a longer, more flexible standard cable for the Sine as well.  Just a thought... 

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #2,592 of 4,790
i think it s an artifact of the way the single side magnet produces sound.. i have the sines and can confirm what you describe.. but since you will experience the same if you press in on the cups and thus not compromising seal it s likely something to do with distance to the ear, reduction of space. I find this very pronounced.. maybe thicker pads can help it

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #2,593 of 4,790
I won't argue that point at all...but these guys aren't mass producing this stuff either, it's made to order.  And, as I mentioned, farther back in this thread are some folks that used other headphone's pads on the Sine.  There's also someone who 3D-printed an adapter for larger pads. Of course, I think Audeze should/could step up to the plate and introduce some alternative pads since the Sine is obviously in great demand.  If the LCD series can have a leather or vegan pad option, why not the Sine..?
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

PS - Hey Audeze, I could use a longer, more flexible standard cable for the Sine as well.  Just a thought... 

That was me!

I had tried a number of different pads with the Sine; most simply were not able to sit securely on the headphone (the HM5 will, kinda-sorta, but they're still loose and IMO too big). The adapters add a ridge that other pads can hold on to.

Someone mentioned that the sound changed as they move their head. I noticed this on the EL-8 Ti, which also clamps pretty hard. My guess is that the sound change is due to perhaps the seal being *too good* and movement changing the pressure. In any case I don't get that effect with the new pads.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,594 of 4,790
Ok, so here is a longshot. Does anyone know if the SMSL Idol setup will work with an Iphone and the Sines? I am not familiar with SMSL products, but I am hoping that it might be an improvement over using just the 3.5 jack until Audeze decides to sell the Cipher cable by itself. I like the idea of the Dragonfly, which I am sure is much better quality and will do the same, it's just the cost is a little more than I can spend and the SMSL Idol is very reasonable.

Thanks,
James

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,595 of 4,790
That was me!

I had tried a number of different pads with the Sine; most simply were not able to sit securely on the headphone (the HM5 will, kinda-sorta, but they're still loose and IMO too big). The adapters add a ridge that other pads can hold on to.

Someone mentioned that the sound changed as they move their head. I noticed this on the EL-8 Ti, which also clamps pretty hard. My guess is that the sound change is due to perhaps the seal being *too good* and movement changing the pressure. In any case I don't get that effect with the new pads.

That was my thought as well.  With the stock pads, the left ear cup would create an immediate strong airtight seal while I had to keep re-positioning the right side to get the same seal and sound.  That's most likely due to differences in my ear construction but it was frustrating that I had to play with the position of the right ear cup every time to get a good seal and sound.  With the velour pads I have don't have that issue because they don't create an airtight seal.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back