Audeze SINE Series
Sep 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,536 of 4,790
got macbook retina pro ssd 2016 / Audirvana plus.   Sine from macbook headphone out sound artificial and dull, weak dynamic and flat soundstage....

with cipher from iphone6/ipad air  sound is natural , fluid , with lots of weight  to the sound , mids are full bodied and silky smooth, bass has slam and punch to it , often i forget its only on-ear ...
treble is not the strongest part of Sine, but Sine has very enjoyable sound character that as a whole i like a lot , it gives me insight of music and translate music mood , creates an atmosphere ...

as for volume , Cipher on iPad air i don't get past 60% , on iPhone 6  70% of max volume is loud ! I don't get a feeling that i want more volume ...

I strongly recommend to get Onkyo HF player or something like that and not to use iTunes...

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,537 of 4,790
  Best bet is to go to Aune's site-I don't see a T1 mk3 there. Not saying it's never been released but it's not for sale anymore-it's in the scrap heap with the mk2. 

As far as I can tell the main difference between the SE and the mk2 is DSD capability, which is pretty much worthless because you'll never be able to tell the difference between 96k and DSD in a blind test anyway ESPECIALLY with a tube DAC. The mk1 had a famously bad amp section, just do a search and you should get up to speed pretty quickly. 

Thanks Inthere.
I went to Aune's site and their support section lists all their current and past models. I am interested in the MKII. Seems nice enough and I always wanted to try a tube amp. I want to try it with my other headphones as well.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,538 of 4,790
Sine from macbook headphone out sound artificial and dull, weak dynamic and flat soundstage....

with cipher from iphone6/ipad air  sound is natural , fluid , with lots of weight  to the sound , mids are full bodied and silky smooth, bass has slam and punch to it , often i forget its only on-ear ...

That was my impression as well. Did you get a chance to try it with any other DAC/AMP besides the cipher? I tried it with the Fiio E7, didn't like the sound. Soundstage seemed flat and edginess in the vocals and trebles were gone.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #2,539 of 4,790

That was my impression as well. Did you get a chance to try it with any other DAC/AMP besides the cipher? I tried it with the Fiio E7, didn't like the sound. Soundstage seemed flat and edginess in the vocals and trebles were gone.

Cipher is a good compromise when connecting an iPhone /Ipad. 
But as soon as you connect a DAC/Amp combo to those iPhone/Ipad the Audeze goes A LOT further ...
So out of a mac book do not hesitate ANY cheep DAC AMP Combo will be better than a Cipher cable.
(check the Bluebird N1)... 

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #2,540 of 4,790
But as soon as you connect a DAC/Amp combo to those iPhone/Ipad the Audeze goes A LOT further ...
So out of a mac book do not hesitate ANY cheep DAC AMP Combo will be better than a Cipher cable.

Agree 100%

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #2,542 of 4,790
i am satisfied with cipher for portable use...
if i am to upgrade cipher i would go with oppo hp2 or mojo.  but that would mean more stuff to carry with you...

of course sine scales a lot once you plug it to a higher end gear ...
from my home system 8000€, sine sounds awesome , but do i need that level of performance once I'm on the go ? not really ...
i rather sit in a comfortable chair with a bottle of Kilkenny or some old scotch, once i want to really get into music ...
but for that kind of listening i got other type of headphones.

cheap stuff can sound loud and emphases bass or color sound in some exciting way but it will never sound refine and relaxed at the same time as it sounds powerful and with authority ...

i wouldn't bother matching sine with cheap stuff.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2,544 of 4,790
  i am satisfied with cipher for portable use...
if i am to upgrade cipher i would go with oppo hp2 or mojo.  but that would mean more stuff to carry with you...

of course sine scales a lot once you plug it to a higher end gear ...
from my home system 8000€, sine sounds awesome , but do i need that level of performance once I'm on the go ? not really ...
i rather sit in a comfortable chair with a bottle of Kilkenny or some old scotch, once i want to really get into music ...
but for that kind of listening i got other type of headphones.

cheap stuff can sound loud and emphases bass or color sound in some exciting way but it will never sound refine and relaxed at the same time as it sounds powerful and with authority ...

i wouldn't bother matching sine with cheap stuff.

You should not drink those Irish stuff... Islay is what you need! ( I recommend you bruichladdich octomore)

Considering sup27606's problem : he wants to listen his Sine on his Mac Book. 
The Cipher Cable (if ever exist as a stand alone option) will never be as good as the cheep Bluebird (with is not at all boomy or colored) .

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,545 of 4,790

Are you saying it sounds as good as Cypher or even better?

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,546 of 4,790

Yes to my ears a lot more musical and analytical.
Cipher is dynamics and bass boost in order to compensate the weak Apple output, not refined.
And when you use your macbook you read HD (24/92 mostly in my case) you can have better sound than from iPhone/Ipads as well ... 

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,547 of 4,790

Yes to my ears a lot more musical and analytical.
Cipher is dynamics and bass boost in order to compensate the weak Apple output, not refined.
And when you use your macbook you read HD (24/92 mostly in my case) you can have better sound than from iPhone/Ipads as well ... 

I love cipher sound from iphone. It is very vinyl analog like. I WOULD LOVE TO FIND SOMETHING THAT WOULD PRODUCE SIMILAR RESULTS FROM MY MAC!

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,548 of 4,790

I love cipher sound from iphone. It is very vinyl analog like. I WOULD LOVE TO FIND SOMETHING THAT WOULD PRODUCE SIMILAR RESULTS FROM MY MAC!

So far, we have suggestions that include Aune T1 MK2 ($150-$200), Bluebird N1 ($60-$70), Cayin Spark C5 ($210), Oppo HA-2 ($239).

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,549 of 4,790
  I like Cipher cable, but I think it suffers at high volume. The sound become quickly "imprecise" as you push the volume up.
Output from Fiio X5 II is better in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree, but some people listen at very low levels and never push it. As with all headphones listening levels and frequency preferences vary from person to person.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,550 of 4,790
I like the bass boost of the cipher. It sounds more like a loudspeaker than a headphone. I tried to create the same effect in the Fiio E7 with the bass boost setting, but it didn't sound correct. It seemed to be detached from the rest of the sound, not as coherent as the cipher sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back