Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #4,188 of 4,476
I hardly think Sony are to be held responsible for a product that was developed and produced prior to them owning the company.
Actually, One of PlayStation's reasons for purchasing Audeze is likely due to their new 'link' technology. It's the same tech the Maxwell's dongle uses. They could be compatible if Sony made it so but knowing Sony they'd prefer you drop more money on their new headsets/buds. Still I live in hope.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #4,189 of 4,476
I bought a Lenovo Legio Go and having strange behaviour connected via Bluetooth with the Audeze Maxwell. Sometimes, I lose all audio, and even if the headset is connected I get nothing, and I don't get audio back until I disconnect and connect again. Also, the Maxwell get's into a weird state when if I turn it off, if keeps saying "power off" no matter how many times I hold the button (it works after a while).

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #4,190 of 4,476
I bought a Lenovo Legio Go and having strange behaviour connected via Bluetooth with the Audeze Maxwell. Sometimes, I lose all audio, and even if the headset is connected I get nothing, and I don't get audio back until I disconnect and connect again. Also, the Maxwell get's into a weird state when if I turn it off, if keeps saying "power off" no matter how many times I hold the button (it works after a while).
I'd try a firmware reinstall if you've not already. Worth a try.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #4,194 of 4,476
Unfortunately the firmware reinstall didn't work. So far I've only have this happen on the Lenovo Legion Go, so my guess it's a driver thing.
Yeah I would probably update your computer's drivers, as if the Bluetooth is shown to work on other devices for you, it's likely on your source end.

I should note that I have the same issues with my desktop PC with Bluetooth audio. It's a mess enough that I ended up just getting an external BT transmitter. My PC works fine for most BT devices, but is a noisy, buggy BT audio device.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,195 of 4,476
This might be a stupid question, but what technology is the USB dongle using and at what quality? Bluetooth LC3Plus? Something else?

I looked in the thread but couldn't find a definitive answer and saying 2.4GHz doesn't really tell the answer as both BT and wifi use this frequency...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #4,196 of 4,476
Hello everyone, I would like to explain a strange situation that happens to me with headphones. I have the xbox version and in some situations the left pad emits something similar to audio distortion:
The problem occurs with headphones connected to the Windows 11 PC via the USB dongle, Roon playback software and WASAPI output with the exclusive mode activated, playing the audio track, and for its entire duration, "Chunky" by Bruno Mars.
There were also a couple of situations with distorted sound on Xbox too, again from the left pad, but occasional and not repeatable.
Do you have any similar advice or situations to share?

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,197 of 4,476
@Audeze Wanted to provide some feedback on an interesting phenomenon I have observed with the DSP for the integrated microphone on the Maxwell. And thankfully I have proof and steps to repeat it.
  1. Detach the boom microphone from Maxwell.
  2. Power down Maxwell (this resets the microphone DSP).
  3. Power on Maxwell.
  4. Open your Sound/Voice recorder app, ensure the app is configured to record with Maxwell's microphone.
  5. Start recording yourself speaking: "She sells sea shells down by the seashore"
  6. While still recording, attach the microphone and repeat again "She sells sea shells down by the seashore"
  7. While still recording, detach the microphone and repeat again "She sells sea shells down by the seashore"
  8. Finally, stop recording and review the audio.
While the snippet of the integrated microphone from step 5 presents my voice with some seriously harsh distortion on the "s" consonants, the recording from step 7 does not exhibit this same behavior. It sounds significantly improved

It's only after I've attached the microphone, spoken for a few seconds, then detached it does this distortion go away.

So it appears that the Maxwell integrated microphones can sound a lot better than they normally do, but that only occurs by doing the above. It always sounds harsh on the integrated microphone unless I do the above. And this works regardless of whether you have AI Noise Suppression engaged.

Hoping maybe something can be addressed in a firmware update so that I can use Maxwell to take calls without the boom mic, as the amount of distortion/sibilance can really make my voice hard to understand on a call.

Both my headset and dongle are on v1.0.1.51.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Maxwell Mic Test.zip
    336.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #4,199 of 4,476
@Audeze Wanted to provide some feedback on an interesting phenomenon I have observed with the DSP for the integrated microphone on the Maxwell. And thankfully I have proof and steps to repeat it.
  1. Detach the boom microphone from Maxwell.
  2. Power down Maxwell (this resets the microphone DSP).
  3. Power on Maxwell.
  4. Open your Sound/Voice recorder app, ensure the app is configured to record with Maxwell's microphone.
  5. Start recording yourself speaking: "She sells sea shells down by the seashore"
  6. While still recording, attach the microphone and repeat again "She sells sea shells down by the seashore"
  7. While still recording, detach the microphone and repeat again "She sells sea shells down by the seashore"
  8. Finally, stop recording and review the audio.
While the snippet of the integrated microphone from step 5 presents my voice with some seriously harsh distortion on the "s" consonants, the recording from step 7 does not exhibit this same behavior. It sounds significantly improved

It's only after I've attached the microphone, spoken for a few seconds, then detached it does this distortion go away.

So it appears that the Maxwell integrated microphones can sound a lot better than they normally do, but that only occurs by doing the above. It always sounds harsh on the integrated microphone unless I do the above. And this works regardless of whether you have AI Noise Suppression engaged.

Hoping maybe something can be addressed in a firmware update so that I can use Maxwell to take calls without the boom mic, as the amount of distortion/sibilance can really make my voice hard to understand on a call.

Both my headset and dongle are on v1.0.1.51.

Thanks in advance!
I'll pass this on to the team to investigate. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,200 of 4,476
No unless you manually plug in through the headphone jack. The portal only accepts the proprietary PS Link connection for wireless through the adapter that comes bundled with the Pulse Elite and Explore when they become available.
I know this is an Audeze thread, but I am still astounded that anyone bought into the Playstation Portal. $200 used to (and still does, a la Nintendo) a full handheld with a dedicated gaming library. The vita supported Playstation streaming, and Bluetooth headphones--I know, I used it to play through most of Persona 5. The sheer audacity of Sony to price at 200 msrp what a smartphone and a backbone attachment adds is insane to me--and this is coming from someone whose daily audio player is a Sony Walkman AM2.
I hardly think Sony are to be held responsible for a product that was developed and produced prior to them owning the company.
I think if anything my biggest relief seeing the way this thread has been handled is that being now owned by Sony hasn't put a damper on the rest of Audeze's product line, and that they're still investing the time, effort, and support into their non-Sony products. I love my Xbox Maxwells--probably my sole complaint about them is having to power them on/off separately from the console, but like Sony, that's due to Microsoft having proprietary drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back