Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
May 16, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #3,332 of 4,464
If it's a simple matter of driver matching, why is there not one single report of an imbalance favoring the right side?
I'm not saying it's as simple as that. All I am saying is that if it were a overall design flaw then every unit would have channel imbalance. The fact that the majority of units do not most likely rules out an overall design flaw.

May 16, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #3,333 of 4,464
I'm not saying it's as simple as that. All I am saying is that if it were a overall design flaw then every unit would have channel imbalance. The fact that the majority of units do not most likely rules out an overall design flaw.
Please, lets avoid using statistics when the metrics is purely based on speculation and complaints on this thread. Whatever the issue is, it is a point of concern for some.

If other users are not able to notice the channel imbalance then I am happy for them but it does NOT take away my concerns.

May 16, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #3,334 of 4,464

Might be a QC issue rather than an outright design flaw. For example a misaligned part that’s changing the airflow characteristics in the left cup. That wouldn’t affect every unit, but there are clearly more openings and more parts in the left ear cup, which could mean a manufacturing mistake would tend to affect the left side more.

Really though we have very little information. It might still be a relatively small number of units that have an issue.

May 16, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #3,335 of 4,464
Please, lets avoid using statistics when the metrics is purely based on speculation and complaints on this thread. Whatever the issue is, it is a point of concern for some.

If other users are not able to notice the channel imbalance then I am happy for them but it does NOT take away my concerns.
You are, of course, right - you have a serious concern. I think what the individual who was responding to you was trying to say is that people jumping to "it's a design issue" may be jumping to conclusions. Clearly, though, this is a problem for at least some people.

As to me, my Maxwell pair does not seem to suffer from this problem, at least enough for me to notice. Just because mine is not bad, though, is not evidence there isn't a design problem. But problems on other units doesn't mean that there is.

Actually, statistics would be a great tool here.

May 16, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #3,336 of 4,464
You are, of course, right - you have a serious concern. I think what the individual who was responding to you was trying to say is that people jumping to "it's a design issue" may be jumping to conclusions. Clearly, though, this is a problem for at least some people.

As to me, my Maxwell pair does not seem to suffer from this problem, at least enough for me to notice. Just because mine is not bad, though, is not evidence there isn't a design problem. But problems on other units doesn't mean that there is.

Actually, statistics would be a great tool here.
We have no visibility of the statistics, hence to me he is gas lighting.

May 16, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3,337 of 4,464
We have no visibility of the statistics, hence to me he is gas lighting.
Wow. Let's be friendly. I am not trying to manipulate you into changing your personal thoughts. I am just trying to be level headed and part of helpful community. Once I RMA my own pair with balance issues and receive the replacement I will update if the unit is free of issues or not. I wish you the best.

May 16, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #3,338 of 4,464
Wow. Let's be friendly. I am not trying to manipulate you into changing your personal thoughts. I am just trying to be level headed and part of helpful community. Once I RMA my own pair with balance issues and receive the replacement I will update if the unit is free of issues or not. I wish you the best.

We are having a friendly discussion. Saying that I feel that you are gaslighting me is no way a sign of aggression, but I get it its 2023 and I should have been more sensitive.

May 16, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #3,339 of 4,464
We are having a friendly discussion. Saying that I feel that you are gaslighting me is no way a sign of aggression, but I get it its 2023 and I should have been more sensitive.
Lol. I'm not offended. The the definition of gas lighting is that someone is deliberately trying to manipulate your thoughts to gain some form of power or control. I seek no power or control of your mind. I will try and keep my comments specifically about my own dealings with the Maxwell and Audeze support.

May 16, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #3,340 of 4,464
Lol. I'm not offended. The the definition of gas lighting is that someone is deliberately trying to manipulate your thoughts to gain some form of power or control. I seek no power or control of your mind. I will try and keep my comments specifically about my own dealings with the Maxwell and Audeze support.

Thank you and look forward to your feedback but I am pretty sure Adueze will accept that for RMA.

To share- In the country that I am in, our return policy is very weak and only favors the seller. If I go ahead and purchase the headset it is not the merchant that will diagnose if the issue is valid but a warehouse staff from the selling platform which is a PIA. I can also work directly with the seller but that involves in a lot of time and logistical cost on my end to reship the item and get another one shipped back.

May 17, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #3,341 of 4,464
Just updated my Maxwells to Firmware 1.0.1.46! I have a bug where if I try on IOS to change EQ values it just says "EQ EQ EQ EQ" and then I have lower volume even after a power cycle and needs to do a factory reset to have the correct volume levels.

May 17, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #3,343 of 4,464
When did the new firmware drop? Are there patch notes?
How many have safely updated? I fear for my launch pair, ha.
Saw this post on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Audeze/comments/13jam5m/maxwell_new_firmware_update/

to4cophsl90b1.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #3,344 of 4,464
Might be a QC issue rather than an outright design flaw. For example a misaligned part that’s changing the airflow characteristics in the left cup. That wouldn’t affect every unit, but there are clearly more openings and more parts in the left ear cup, which could mean a manufacturing mistake would tend to affect the left side more.

Really though we have very little information. It might still be a relatively small number of units that have an issue.
Sure, there are plausible explanations for there to be some process flaw causing the issue. Maybe one out of several jigs for left side driver installation puts the driver almost unnoticeably closer to the ear. There's all kinds of conceivable ways for it to happen. But until Audeze KNOWS and SHARES exactly why this is happening I think it's entirely reasonable to be worried it's something that isn't going to be expedient to fix and could potentially require a hardware revision.
I don't mean this as an accusation and I'm absolutely NOT saying this is what Audeze is doing, but some sets being balanced could be Audeze trying their best to account for an acoustical imbalance in the enclosure by pairing drivers with an opposite imbalance instead of correcting the enclosure so two exactly identical drivers will be perfectly balanced. Again, NOT saying that Audeze is doing this, just an example of how some units not being off does not rule out a fundamental design flaw until Audeze can explain why this left biasing is happening.

May 17, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #3,345 of 4,464
Sure, there are plausible explanations for there to be some process flaw causing the issue. Maybe one out of several jigs for left side driver installation puts the driver almost unnoticeably closer to the ear. There's all kinds of conceivable ways for it to happen. But until Audeze KNOWS and SHARES exactly why this is happening I think it's entirely reasonable to be worried it's something that isn't going to be expedient to fix and could potentially require a hardware revision.
I don't mean this as an accusation and I'm absolutely NOT saying this is what Audeze is doing, but some sets being balanced could be Audeze trying their best to account for an acoustical imbalance in the enclosure by pairing drivers with an opposite imbalance instead of correcting the enclosure so two exactly identical drivers will be perfectly balanced. Again, NOT saying that Audeze is doing this, just an example of how some units not being off does not rule out a fundamental design flaw until Audeze can explain why this left biasing is happening.
Is there not a way to test this in-balance ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back