Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #2,896 of 4,465
Noticed something with the sidetone static. Not the background white noise, but rather the interference line noise that others and I are getting while sidetone is active.

If I touch or hold the boom anywhere, it goes away. I want to say this may be a ground issue then?

Also, following up on discord on the Xbox. Has anyone had issues with popping while speaking on discord?

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,897 of 4,465
I feel like this headset was rushed out in a horribly unpolished state. So many people with software and firmware issues. Owners are basically paying to be beta testers.

I’ve decided not to buy right now, such a pity as this would’ve been my daily driver for work, music, and occasional Xbox gaming.

I’m hoping that the issues get fixed in the next few months and then I’ll reassess the situation. Will definitely keep tabs on this forum.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #2,898 of 4,465
I feel like this headset was rushed out in a horribly unpolished state. So many people with software and firmware issues. Owners are basically paying to be beta testers.

I’ve decided not to buy right now, such a pity as this would’ve been my daily driver for work, music, and occasional Xbox gaming.

I’m hoping that the issues get fixed in the next few months and then I’ll reassess the situation. Will definitely keep tabs on this forum.
A lot of these issues, people didn't update. What issues are people having when on the newest firmware? Other than the sidetone issue that is.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #2,899 of 4,465

This is far from reality. We have shipped several thousands of Maxwells and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Considering this is also probably one of the first headsets to offer a lot of new technology. If you look at any of the other wireless headsets (that are almost double the price of Maxwell), they are still using older chipsets that are several generations old. Maxwell on the other hand introduces several new technologies (ANN based Noise removal), new generation wireless chipsets. Almost all these features perform exceptionally well. Wireless range is phenomenal and we have yet to hear of any dropouts or wireless issues.
It has dual end points for mixing, Xbox integration, Embedded Atmos licenses for Xbox etc. We have even added additional features like IOS app, that was not in the original product spec.

Here s an example of the firmware updates for Apple HomePods.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208714

Maxwell has 8 different audio paths and is a very complicated headset. We tested maxwells with quite a few beta testers before release and we still new features (that have not been released yet) with our Beta testing group. The number of issues reported on Maxwell at the moment is very low compared to any product with similar feature set.

that said, we build these for our customers and want them to be happy with the product. We will continue to introduce new features and make improvements to the product.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 5, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,900 of 4,465

It's worth keeping in mind that issues are going to be amplified because people who don't have issues don't really have as much to say. Personally I've had zero issues since the last firmware update, and I've been happily using the Maxwell 3-4 hours every weekday since I got it.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,902 of 4,465
It's worth keeping in mind that issues are going to be amplified because people who don't have issues don't really have as much to say. Personally I've had zero issues since the last firmware update, and I've been happily using the Maxwell 3-4 hours every weekday since I got it.
^This. The people who have issues are the ones who will be more vocal and will be posting about it. People with no issues are just using the headset every day, like me. I've been using my Maxwell for the past two months with zero issues.

Complete opposite of the Penrose, which I stopped using after only 2 hours and went back to my Arctis 7. The Maxwell has thankfully finally replaced my Artic 7 as my main headset. Only negative aspect I would say is the mic quality over discord. I've been using my modmic instead.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,904 of 4,465
Even if they are a bit 'unpolished' (mostly software wise), even at their current state, and even if they didn't get any more updates, the Maxwell are still far better than most, if not all other gaming headsets already. So they can only improve from here.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #2,905 of 4,465
Even if they are a bit 'unpolished' (mostly software wise), even at their current state, and even if they didn't get any more updates, the Maxwell are still far better than most, if not all other gaming headsets already. So they can only improve from here.
I think people are holding the maxwell on a pedestal because they use planar drivers. I have been using them on PS5 for the past month on single player story driven games only. The VZR model one outperforms the maxwell for multiplayer games like BF2042, call of duty, and Rainbow Six Siege. Sound, comfort, and feature set is all subjective. I also find it funny that people on this forum were getting impatient for the release of the maxwell and then want to turn around and say the headset was rushed.

I am satisfied with the maxwell for the use i get out of them. I need to tweak the sound some more because the treble can be ear piercing sometimes on certain games. The last of us part 1 with the maxwell on PS5 comes to mind on certain parts of the game. They performed well with Resident Evil 4 remake. Next up is Star Wars Jedi Survivor and Final Fantasy 16 with the Maxwell.

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #2,906 of 4,465
I think people are holding the maxwell on a pedestal because they use planar drivers. I have been using them on PS5 for the past month on single player story driven games only. The VZR model one outperforms the maxwell for multiplayer games like BF2042, call of duty, and Rainbow Six Siege. Sound, comfort, and feature set is all subjective. I also find it funny that people on this forum were getting impatient for the release of the maxwell and then want to turn around and say the headset was rushed.

I am satisfied with the maxwell for the use i get out of them. I need to tweak the sound some more because the treble can be ear piercing sometimes on certain games. The last of us part 1 with the maxwell on PS5 comes to mind on certain parts of the game. They performed well with Resident Evil 4 remake. Next up is Star Wars Jedi Survivor and Final Fantasy 16 with the Maxwell.
But the VZR is wired isn't it? So a completely different category of product.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,907 of 4,465
I didn't buy the Maxwell to compare to wired headsets. Compared to every other wireless option available today, Maxwell is the top choice for me. I don't feel it was a rushed product. It worked great out of the box, and the firmware updates so far have been quality-of-life improvements. Part of the reason I bought the Maxwell is because of Audeze's presence on these forums. I value that.

I still plan on keeping my wired cans and Modmic as a secondary option. I still like open back, and buying one headphone doesn't mean it has to replace everything. There's room for both wired and wireless in my world. :sunglasses:

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #2,908 of 4,465
I have to say that it is rare to see so many owners step up to say that their experiences with a product (especially a new product) are positive in response to negative posts - that says a lot about the Maxwell as a product and Audeze as a company.

Now, that doesn‘t mean everyone is going to have a good experience with a product, so those who report experiencing less than satisfaction need to be honored and their insights considered by potential buyers, and by Audeze.

Having said this, I am now even more excited by my decision to order the Maxwell… waiting with eager anticipation! :)

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #2,909 of 4,465
While I'm definitely pissed that I'm four mouths post pre order and no shipping date in sight, when promo articles said they would ship weeks of last year, I do see Audeze is trying and working on things. They just need to learn to manage expectations better. Better to under promise and over deliver than the reverse.

But I don't see a better option in the wireless space. I will not compare these to wired cans. That's just not even in the correct conversation. Looking forward to my pair, while at the same time having a disappointed chip on my shoulder.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #2,910 of 4,465
So, in regards to the clamp force discomfort. I had them stretch overnight and through a 10 hour shift by leaving them on my recliner. Gave the headband a couple light squeezes, nothing crazy. Glad to say they are fitting much better. I didn't wear them very long, maybe an hour or so but could tell right away. No pain or didcomfort. They are heavy though I can say that but they stay in place, and God do they sound good. I wanna go out and say I like their sound better than when I had the Hifiman XS but that's been a while.

Now, another thing I want to bring up. I use these primarily for use with Psvr 2 and for me the default setting pushes the headset up too far. The front end tilts too much and it's very easy to lose that sweet spot. You also need to clamp the Psvr headband more which can lead to headaches as well. Adjusting to the lowest setting on the headband works like a charm but is just a TAD too big and the ear cups rest on the ears. I'm sure I have a thin Sennheiser band laying around somewhere which I'll stuff in there for that bit of space I need.

I'm sure I'll have more to report, just in case anyone can use the information.

Edit: I had a 4 pad cushion laying around from a Sennheiser band. Also had a cloth cover around so I put that headband between the Maxwell headband and the top of the headset. Put the cloth cover on. Works like a charm, had a blast and even helped keep the headset in place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back