Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 17, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,611 of 4,462
Hi all,

Firmware update V38 is currently live. In addition to the improvements below, Maxwell is now certified and working with Google Fast Pair.

Maxwell V38 Update Notes:

Playstation:

- Increased Playstation mode maximum volume output to match PC mode
- Improved background noise with Sidetone ON
- Corrected connection behavior when using USB Dongle and AUX
- Improved Game/Chat Mix behavior with USB Dongle and wired USB.
- Improved Wheel Control Sensitivity
- Other Minor Bug Fixes

Xbox:

- Improved Game/Chat Mix behavior with USB Dongle and wired USB.
- Improved background noise with Sidetone ON
- Other Minor Bug Fixes

Xbox Owners: If you 'updated' to v32, please update as soon as possible to v38.

A note on 'updating' to a lower version: If at any point your current firmware version is higher than any stated version on HQ, please do not 'update', as this can cause issues. This should not be a problem with future releases.

A note on 'failed' update: If the update states that it has 'failed', but shows current firmware version correctly, the update went through properly. This is a bug in the notification which we are currently investigating.
Without a doubt, the new firmware update has fixed the volume on ps5 with the dongle.
The sound and immersion in TLOU, Howarts Legacy, Returnal or RE4 Remake is truly crazy!

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #2,612 of 4,462
Another note. Before this update, simultaneous Aux+Dongle worked for me. Not only that, but bluetooth (as long as it wasn't LDAC as it stuttered) played simultaneously to Aux, and interrupted the dongle when playing. Since it was working, it seems like Aux+Dongle simultaneously should be possible, which would allow setups like using a PC and a console at the same time. I don't understand the logic of disabling that 'feature/bug'. To be fair, what didn't work is that while bluetooth audio was playing with the three connections, it would 'stutter' if bluetooth audio was high quality (LDAC). However, now you no longer get audio at all from the dongle if aux is connected, but bluetooth audio still 'stutters'.
Again, don't understand why we can't get the following behavior, since it was (mostly) working before.
Aux+Dongle=Simultaneous play
Aux+bluetooth=Simulataneous play
Bluetooth interrupts the Dongle when playing and still plays simultaneously to aux.

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #2,613 of 4,462
Just updated to the latest version.
Is it normal for the dongle firmware to fail towards the end like 90% but then show the upgraded version correctly once it reconnect?

Headset upgraded with no issues.

I've only seen the change log for PS and Xbox for the latest one. No change log for PC?

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #2,614 of 4,462
Is it normal for the dongle firmware to fail towards the end like 90% but then show the upgraded version correctly once it reconnect?

I've only seen the change log for PS and Xbox for the latest one. No change log for PC?

Same thing happened to me both times I've updated the dongle, so that just seems to be an issue with the software

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #2,615 of 4,462

My headset failed like 4 times but each time the progress bar started a little further till it finally finished.

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #2,616 of 4,462
I really hope the Maxwells opens up the market for more high end Bluetooth headphones.

Audeze had proven that with the LC3+ codec that the time is now here for bt cans. Low latency, battery life, connection stability etc... :)

Personally I hope we'll get more open back cans with Bluetooth!

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,617 of 4,462
I really hope the Maxwells opens up the market for more high end Bluetooth headphones.

Audeze had proven that with the LC3+ codec that the time is now here for bt cans. Low latency, battery life, connection stability etc... :)

Personally I hope we'll get more open back cans with Bluetooth!

I'd love to see an open back BT headphone from Audeze

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,618 of 4,462
  1. Switch the dongle to PC Mode.
  2. Plug the dongle into a PC or a Mac.
  3. Power on the headphone, the LED indicator on the dongle should be lit up.
  4. Open Audeze HQ and switch the Profile to Maxwell and wait until the headset is connected.
  5. Go to Settings page and hit Update Firmware. You’ll be updating the USB Dongle.
  6. The progress will come to around 80~90% and prompt failed. No worries, the dongle should be updated.
  7. Unplug the dongle and connect the headphone to your computer directly using a USB-C cable.
  8. Wait until Audeze HQ detects the headphone and hit Update Firmware to update the headphone.

Above is how I update the dongle and headphone.

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #2,619 of 4,462

mine dongle did the same (updated on m1 macbook)

I was going to retry the update but there is no option to, as you say shows as updated. Hopefully it’s fine!

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #2,620 of 4,462

Same thing happened to me both times I've updated the dongle, so that just seems to be an issue with the software
mine dongle did the same (updated on m1 macbook)

I was going to retry the update but there is no option to, as you say shows as updated. Hopefully it’s fine!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-introducing-our-maxwell-gaming-headsets.966020/post-17462186
IF the dongle update says failed, but it ends up on the current firmware without any issues otherwise, your update went through just fine. It's a bug in the notifications that we are looking into. Your dongle still updated properly.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #2,622 of 4,462
Seems breaking the seal takes quite abit of low end away. Glasses on and off is night and day with these which is surprising, and my glasses arms aren't even that thick.

First planar headset I've used that I've really noticed the difference with on and off

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #2,623 of 4,462
Hello.

Can I get a confirmation that the Playstation version of the headphone works perfectly fine with PC? I have a PS5 but not any Xbox console so I'm planning to buy the ps ver. but I'm also gaming on PC.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #2,624 of 4,462
Yea. They posted a big comment a couple of pages back before latest version went live - the failed update message is being looked into - the dongle will have updated fine provided its showing the latest version in the HQ app.

*edit - serves me right for being too keen. @Drewbo already answered above :)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,625 of 4,462
Seems breaking the seal takes quite abit of low end away. Glasses on and off is night and day with these which is surprising, and my glasses arms aren't even that thick.

First planar headset I've used that I've really noticed the difference with on and off

Pretty typical for closed headphones though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back