Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 9, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2,281 of 4,465
Mine have turned up, finally!

First impressions, woah these things are built like a brick shithouse! Way better build quality than the Penrose. They feel like a more polished product, even down to the announcer voice which is a bit more pleasant than on the Penrose.

Quick Q - when listening via the dongle, and with the headphones connected via BT to my phone at the same time, I thought any sounds from the phone would interrupt the dongle audio and take over for a moment? Or is it just phone calls that will do that?

I know simultaneous audio isn't possible, and tbh I'd rather have it as mine are, with my phone connected via BT but not getting notification sounds taking over from the dongle audio.

Presumably having the headphones connected via the dongle and via audio will adversely affect battery life.
I'm in the same boat. Nothing but a phone call will interrupt my sound from the dongle. I will listen to YouTube, music etc and it won't play any sound from my headset or phone (like it's connected to the headset but chooses to play dongle sounds only). Then I get a call and it interrupts the dongle.

On the Galaxy s23 ultra

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,282 of 4,465
Bloom Audio does not have an ETA on the XBOX version, they do know there is a delay in certification. Supposedly the word on the street is maybe soon.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,283 of 4,465
has anyone noticed a difference in audio quaility from an iphone to an android phone? its drastic to me, i have a pro max 12 and a galaxy 7 tablet. guess its the use of the LDAC codec on the samsung thats making the difference? does every Android phone use/have LDAC support if this is the case? i might have to switch smh.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,285 of 4,465
has anyone noticed a difference in audio quaility from an iphone to an android phone? its drastic to me, i have a pro max 12 and a galaxy 7 tablet. guess its the use of the LDAC codec on the samsung thats making the difference? does every Android phone use/have LDAC support if this is the case? i might have to switch smh.

LDAC is built into stock Android, so it should be usable on most Android phones, though some manufacturers might limit it or require you to enable it in developer options

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #2,286 of 4,465
Haven't tried with my iPhone 14 yet but audio via my Samsung S23 Ultra using LDAC sounds superb.

Pretty sure most Android devices support LDAC but no expert. Certainly the ones I've tried all had it.
when you do can you report back if you notice a difference? just wanna make sure im not crazy. im guessing the only codec apple is using is the old SBC bluetooth, hadnt researched it yet. but i know as soon as i connect to the samsun tablet in settings LDAC defaults on.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,287 of 4,465
when you do can you report back if you notice a difference? just wanna make sure im not crazy. im guessing the only codec apple is using is the old SBC bluetooth, hadnt researched it yet. but i know as soon as i connect to the samsun tablet in settings LDAC defaults on.
Yea of course. Will do.

Think Apple uses AAC?

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,288 of 4,465
I'll test fully later or tomorrow but just had a very quick comparison.

If I was listening to the iPhone only I'd still be happy but the using the S23 Ultra in comparison does sound noticeable better to me also. Just sounds a little more airy with the bass not as muddy/congested sounding.

I'd be happy with either for Bluetooth audio if I'm honest but with the choice I have I'll be using my Android device every time.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,289 of 4,465
I'm in the same boat. Nothing but a phone call will interrupt my sound from the dongle. I will listen to YouTube, music etc and it won't play any sound from my headset or phone (like it's connected to the headset but chooses to play dongle sounds only). Then I get a call and it interrupts the dongle.

On the Galaxy s23 ultra
This is my experience as well, on pixel 6 pro. Why there isn't a button to switch inputs on the headset is beyond me. Probably the largest flaw honestly. Maybe they can make lo pressing the ai mic botton switch inputs or something.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,290 of 4,465

iOS uses AAC by default, with SBC as a fall-back. Theoretically since the Maxwell supports AAC, it should be using AAC rather than SBC, but it's possible it's falling back on SBC instead for some reason.

Personally, when switching between the dongle and iPhone, there's a subtle loss of definition and clarity. I wouldn't say it's a night and day difference, but it's there in my opinion. It's not a huge drop in my experience.

What app are you using for music on iPhone?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,291 of 4,465
Does anyone know what this setting should be please as there no mention of it in the set up on the Audeze website
PXL_20230309_201210343~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back