Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,146 of 4,465
Hmm. I'm not saying your wrong, but it's hard to believe. Latency aside, I couldn't imagine the mic quality being as good through the dongle as it is with the limited bandwidth BT has. Even with high end codecs, it's still not that good. They do have LC3PLUS codec, but you don't need the dongle to use that and the mic quality is not the same.

I just double checked the product page and they only mention 2.4Ghz twice and it's to say it's 3x better than the one in the Penrose. The Penrose 2.4Ghz was objectively trash. Even my A50s had 3x the range and connection stability and it used the same type of connection, just better.
Yea they mention "traditional 2.4ghz" which could indicate they have improved on it. I doubt its BT too because well why would you need the dongle?.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #2,147 of 4,465
Hmm. I'm not saying your wrong, but it's hard to believe. Latency aside, I couldn't imagine the mic quality being as good through the dongle as it is with the limited bandwidth BT has. Even with high end codecs, it's still not that good. They do have LC3PLUS codec, but you don't need the dongle to use that and the mic quality is not the same.

I just double checked the product page and they only mention 2.4Ghz twice and it's to say it's 3x better than the one in the Penrose. The Penrose 2.4Ghz was objectively trash. Even my A50s had 3x the range and connection stability and it used the same type of connection, just better.
The Penrose wireless connection was the reason I couldn't use them. Literally at my desk within one foot of the dongle I would drop connection. So far the Maxwell I haven't dropped at all with the dongle through the adapter cable.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,148 of 4,465

If they were using 2.4Ghz, they would just say they were using 2.4Ghz but improved from the Penrose. This is marketing speak that perfectly describes LC3Plus without saying they're using it, probably because "Bluetooth" suggests low quality and high latency:

"Ultra-Low Latency Wireless with 3X Range of Traditional 2.4Ghz"

"Play confidently with reliable stability and 3X the range versus standard 2.4GHz wireless"

"Enjoy lossless-quality high-resolution audio with the latest in wireless technology"

"Class-Leading High-Resolution Audio up to 24-bit/96kHz"

You don't speak around what standard you're using without actually specifying what it is like this if you're just using 2.4Ghz

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #2,149 of 4,465
If they were using 2.4Ghz, they would just say they were using 2.4Ghz but improved from the Penrose. This is marketing speak that perfectly describes LC3Plus without saying they're using it, probably because "Bluetooth" suggests low quality and high latency:

"Ultra-Low Latency Wireless with 3X Range of Traditional 2.4Ghz"

"Play confidently with reliable stability and 3X the range versus standard 2.4GHz wireless"

"Enjoy lossless-quality high-resolution audio with the latest in wireless technology"

You don't speak around what standard you're using without actually specifying what it is like this if you're just using 2.4Ghz
Why include a dongle that uses the same as the headset itself does?. If it was just Bluetooth Why include this? All it says is that they are using the latest wireless which is 3x the range of 2.4ghz. They would just state Bluetooth if it was that.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,150 of 4,465
Why include a dongle that uses the same as the headset itself does?. If it was just Bluetooth Why include this? All it says is that they are using the latest wireless which is 3x the range of 2.4ghz. They would just state Bluetooth if it was that.

You need the dongle to connect the source. How else would you use the headset with a device that doesn't support the same Bluetooth protocol?

I think the FCC filings back this up too. The Penrose had 3 antennas, a Bluetooth antenna and two 2.4Ghz antennas. The Maxwell filing only shows 1 antenna, which looks just like the Bluetooth antenna on the Penrose. It doesn't show any 2.4Ghz antennas.

https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSERX/Internal-Photos/Product-Internal-5005524
https://fccid.io/2APRZ-MAXWELL/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-6262250

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #2,151 of 4,465
Does anyone know what the personal EQ would look like on Maxwell? Any screenshots or something of the control panel for that?
Is it confirmed that you wont actually be able to change and set your frequencies as you like?

Not that it matters to me, the software still seems very ancient with very few features. If you cant automate the EQ switching profiles and tailor them to specific games, I'm still gonna use Peace EQ with APO. Also if you want a specific EQ for Spotify and one for your game and maybe one for voice chat, you still stuck with Sonar or something too that creates the virtual devices and then you might as well use that EQ too.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #2,152 of 4,465
No news from Audeze regarding the differences in maximum volume between the different connections?
"On ps5", COD aside, single player games using the "dongle" the maximum volume is quite limited and nowhere near the advertised nominal capacity of 120db.
It seems that PC users don't have that many problems.
It is not normal to have to connect via USB cable to have a reasonable volume, but not high either, especially since it is a wireless headset for consoles.
In other forums they also report this problem.
We would appreciate an answer from Audeze and possible solutions with a future firmware.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #2,153 of 4,465
You need the dongle to connect the source. How else would you use the headset with a device that doesn't support the same Bluetooth protocol?

I think the FCC filings back this up too. The Penrose had 3 antennas, a Bluetooth antenna and two 2.4Ghz antennas. The Maxwell filing only shows 1 antenna, which looks just like the Bluetooth antenna on the Penrose. It doesn't show any 2.4Ghz antennas.

https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSERX/Internal-Photos/Product-Internal-5005524
https://fccid.io/2APRZ-MAXWELL/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-6262250
Which do you think is better for PS5......dongle only USB C in the front or use the included adapter and dongle plugged in to the back

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #2,154 of 4,465
No news from Audeze regarding the differences in maximum volume between the different connections?
"On ps5", COD aside, single player games using the "dongle" the maximum volume is quite limited and nowhere near the advertised nominal capacity of 120db.
It seems that PC users don't have that many problems.
It is not normal to have to connect via USB cable to have a reasonable volume, but not high either, especially since it is a wireless headset for consoles.
In other forums they also report this problem.
We would appreciate an answer from Audeze and possible solutions with a future firmware.
They have already posted about this.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #2,155 of 4,465
Which do you think is better for PS5......dongle only USB C in the front or use the included adapter and dongle plugged in to the back

I don't own a PS5 to test (my only console is a PS4), but I don't think it would make a difference. I haven't noticed any difference on my PC using USB-C directly or using the adapter, even with USB hubs

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #2,156 of 4,465

The latest wireless connection can be stated because it has updated BT connection, it doesn't directly suggest it doesn't have 2.4Ghz.

The last quote, I believe refers to the wired USB audio connection, it doesn't mention wireless at all.

Either way, I wonder if Audeze would directly confirm this. I still have my doubts it's BT off bandwidth and mic quality alone. I know 100% when I use the mic over BT with the highest quality codec, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the dongle. The dongle sounds much closer to the wired connection than it does BT.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,158 of 4,465
The latest wireless connection can be stated because it has updated BT connection, it doesn't directly suggest it doesn't have 2.4Ghz.

The last quote, I believe refers to the wired USB audio connection, it doesn't mention wireless at all.

It refers to both

"Experience class-leading high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/96kHz over Wireless or USB"

I did say I was reading between the lines, Audeze doesn't directly say what standard the dongle is using. But between their description and the FCC filing, I think the case is pretty good that they're using Bluetooth, not 2.4Ghz

Either way, I wonder if Audeze would directly confirm this. I still have my doubts it's BT off bandwidth and mic quality alone. I know 100% when I use the mic over BT with the highest quality codec, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the dongle. The dongle sounds much closer to the wired connection than it does BT.

Unless you're using LC3plus, your experience with other Bluetooth codecs doesn't really translate. It was specifically designed to overcome the limitations of older Bluetooth codecs.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,160 of 4,465

Not a chance it’s a closely guarded secret I’m not even joking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back