Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #2,071 of 4,462
Well, they responded pretty quickly, and they are dispatching their Maxwell pre-orders as of tomorrow! @WhiteHartMart tagged for visibility.
Brilliant - thanks for the info - home straight now :p Their website no longer says 'Pre-order' now and the headset can be added to the cart - looks like they might still have some spare stock!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #2,072 of 4,462
Well, they responded pretty quickly, and they are dispatching their Maxwell pre-orders as of tomorrow! @WhiteHartMart tagged for visibility.
Brilliant - thanks for the info - home straight now :p Their website no longer says 'Pre-order' now and the headset can be added to the cart - looks like they might still have some spare stock!
Audeze.co.uk same no more „pre order”just „add to cart” now.Can’t wait for mine!

Attachments

• CDDE631B-44F1-4629-9D80-363CACD908E2.png
    CDDE631B-44F1-4629-9D80-363CACD908E2.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,074 of 4,462
Maxwell with this very low maximum volume can get 80h battery life for sure but with higher volume probably will be much less than that.I remember my Penrose X where battery life should be 15h but I barely get 5-6h at 70% volume.And charging time should be 3h from 0-100% but real time was 7-8h.I hope Maxwell will be updated to „perfect working order” because this time Audeze got a great opportunity to deliver BEST GAMING HEADSET EVER
Sorry for my english.
Well, give me 50 hours of battery life if you prefer, but comply with the theoretical nominal output of 120db, and I will lower the volume to my choice and preference.
We are already old and responsible to know that excessive volume damages our hearing, but at least have enough margin to enjoy and have enough immersion and enjoyment.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,075 of 4,462
I wonder if the difference of volume is a limitation of the Bluetooth chipset they're using, and the chip they're using for USB is simply capable of higher output since it doesn't have to go through that signal path. I suppose it might have to do with battery life, but you generally wouldn't be rating battery life at 100% volume anyway, so it seems like they could raise the ceiling and still report battery life at whatever level they currently use for testing.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,076 of 4,462
Maxwell with this very low maximum volume can get 80h battery life for sure but with higher volume probably will be much less than that.I remember my Penrose X where battery life should be 15h but I barely get 5-6h at 70% volume.And charging time should be 3h from 0-100% but real time was 7-8h.I hope Maxwell will be updated to „perfect working order” because this time Audeze got a great opportunity to deliver BEST GAMING HEADSET EVER
Sorry for my english.
No. This is incorrect. Maxwell battery tests are at 80dB SPL at the DRP. (Drum Reference point). Maxwell has 8 different audio paths and multiple combinations. The rated battery life is 80dB, but in many tests under normal usage you will probably get more. The volume levels measured by decibel meters are not very accurate way.

Measuring headphones on proper rig is also tricky. There are multiple measurement points (EEP, ERP, DRP) etc. The test below shows measurement on dongle -> headset on a GRAS Head with 43AG at drum reference point (DRP). You can see the hours it ran continuously.

Typically DRP measurements are lower in SPL than EEP and ERP, because EEP and ERP are closer to the transducer than DRP measurement point. So measuring it at EEP/ERP will give you higher numbers than the graph below.

Maxwell Battery AP.png

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,077 of 4,462
No. This is incorrect. Maxwell battery tests are at 80dB SPL at the DRP. (Drum Reference point). Maxwell has 8 different audio paths and multiple combinations. The rated battery life is 80dB, but in many tests under normal usage you will probably get more. The volume levels measured by decibel meters are not very accurate way.

Measuring headphones on proper rig is also tricky. There are multiple measurement points (EEP, ERP, DRP) etc. The test below shows measurement on dongle -> headset on a GRAS Head with 43AG at drum reference point (DRP). You can see the hours it ran continuously.

Typically DRP measurements are lower in SPL than EEP and ERP, because EEP and ERP are closer to the transducer than DRP measurement point. So measuring it at EEP/ERP will give you higher numbers than the graph below.

Maxwell Battery AP.png

Sorry for being that guy but

Why such a substantial drop in volume, both using the dongle vs USB, and on PC vs PS5?

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,078 of 4,462

Maxwell Battery AP.png
The volume on the Maxwell is definitely lower than the Penrose can you please just acknowledge this and ask them to take a look at it. There’s too many users saying the same thing now.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,079 of 4,462

Is it for this reason that several critics affirm that the battery reaches 90 hours without a problem?
With the maximum volume that the dongle supports on ps5, it would not even come close to the 80db in which the measurement has been made.
We users are concerned about this lack of power and not the duration of use, at least on ps5.
The sound quality is indisputable but does not match the volume.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,080 of 4,462
My pair should hopefully arrive this week.

PS5 primarily, with some phone use - I might even sell my AirPods if the Maxwell play nice in terms of usability, as I’m still working from home.

Mic sounds amazing from what I’ve heard, orders of magnitude better than the crappy mics in most gaming headsets.

Loved the Penrose sound minus the treble - sounds like they fixed its weakness here, can’t wait.

Improved range - super, another Penrose weakness fixed.

Im nervous about…
  • Usability niggles (interface, firmware, device switching, physical buttons/knobs) Didn’t like the Penrose in terms of this.
  • The fact that I’m replacing something im very happy with in terms of sound - wired HD560S plugged into the dualsense + Modmic. I’m prepared for a dip in soundstage but as long as the imaging is good I should be happy enough. Wireless versus this bundle of cables will be a huge convenience win.
  • Channel balance. Something I’m hugely picky about (Penrose sounded slightly imbalanced to me)
Not too worried about reported max volume level issues, sounds like an easy firmware fix.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,081 of 4,462
1 hr with custom EQ and I'm dramatically happier with the Maxwell then I was before. I was ready to send this damn this back LMAO. I'm just gonna ignore this channel imbalance stuff yall talking about because I don't know what that means and ignorance is bliss.

Just need Gadgetry Tech to drop the MW2 footsteps EQ and I'm solid.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2,082 of 4,462
Not too worried about reported max volume level issues, sounds like an easy firmware fix.

Yea, until it's not fixed, then you are stuck with a $299usd paper weight. What I expect is when I stuff my little decibel meter and seal it off inbetween the cups that I get somewhere within the ballpark of what Audeze estimates max volume out to be. I don't care how crude the testing method was or is, we can definitely see good results either way that tells me what I need to know.

In this sample taken by Scratchansniff for PS5 max volume output, we get the following highs.

Bluetooth: 63 DB

USB: 79.4 DB

Dongle: 59.7 DB

Clearly we can see the USB measurement is satisfactory but measurements from the Dongle and Bluetooth on his unit doesn't even remotely come close to the USB output and that is clear to see. The low dB output on the bluetooth and more importantly the Dongle are kind of a deal breaker and deserves a closer look, replication or explanation.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #2,083 of 4,462
Well they would have to acknowledge it before a fix can come out. Haven't seen that happen. They responded in this thread about volume but not to say why it's quieter in some modes than others plus some have found a reproducible bug it seems as far as if you get disconnected from the dongle on PC. Just a bunch about how complicated it is to measure.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,084 of 4,462
1 hr with custom EQ and I'm dramatically happier with the Maxwell then I was before. I was ready to send this damn this back LMAO. I'm just gonna ignore this channel imbalance stuff yall talking about because I don't know what that means and ignorance is bliss.

Just need Gadgetry Tech to drop the MW2 footsteps EQ and I'm solid.
Did you just use the regular Audeze HQ app on the Android app store? I haven't got a chance to try it yet to see if it pairs.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #2,085 of 4,462
Did you just use the regular Audeze HQ app on the Android app store? I haven't got a chance to try it yet to see if it pairs.

I already had it downloaded from the Penrose days. I just updated it. I didn't have any problems pairing. Just paired through my phones normal process and when I opened the app it was there (which never works for my V-Modas).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back