Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #2,042 of 4,465
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #2,043 of 4,465
I play on PS5 and have fully updated both the headset and dongle and I'm not having any problems. I can't get anywhere near 100% volume.

What did you guys do to your eardrums? Lol

The only way for us to know what is loud to you is to have you measure it with a decibel meter otherwise it's anybody's guess what is coming out of your headphone and what is loud to you might not be to somebody else or account for contributing factors like unit variance, settings, etc. In the meantime the actual measured results that Scratchansniff did is more meaningful than "this is loud guys" and allows others to have an idea of where your personal tolerances are and/or what the max dB the headphone can output in any given circumstance.

In the case of Scratchandsniff's measurements, it was clearly not good at all compared to even the very basic 3D pulse from Sony on the PS5 which has an advertised max of 75dB.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #2,044 of 4,465
The only way for us to know what is loud to you is to have you measure it with a decibel meter otherwise it's anybody's guess what is coming out of your headphone and what is loud to you might not be to somebody else or account for contributing factors like unit variance, settings, etc. In the meantime the actual measured results that Scratchansniff did is more meaningful than "this is loud guys" and allows others to have an idea of where your personal tolerances are and/or what the max dB the headphone can output in any given circumstance.

In the case of Scratchandsniff's measurements, it was clearly not good at all compared to even the very basic 3D pulse from Sony on the PS5 which has an advertised max of 75dB.
Especially when this headset is rated for 120 DB this has to be a firmware issue or maybe it was a choice for longer battery life I would rather have 69 hours personally if it meant it would hit 120 db at max volume or close to it. I don’t get this safety issue either because those who prefer lower volumes will just have it set to a lower volume. Best of both worlds that way imo

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #2,045 of 4,465
Especially when this headset is rated for 120 DB this has to be a firmware issue or maybe it was a choice for longer battery life I would rather have 69 hours personally if it meant it would hit 120 db at max volume or close to it. I don’t get this safety issue either because those who prefer lower volumes will just have it set to a lower volume. Best of both worlds that way imo
Right which makes absolutely no sense here unless we understand how this was accomplished and how we can replicate getting to 120 dB (which I'll never do but knowing that my headset will not run out of headroom is ideal). In the meantime it appears that either Sony or Audeze are putting a babygate up preventing the full range of this headphone or there is something else going on here.

As for a babygate, a $299 headphone is probably out of reach for kids or those who don't understand how volume controls work (which most people who purchase this set should!) but there are cheaper headphones like Turtle Beaches for simple people with simple needs.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #2,046 of 4,465
Right which makes absolutely no sense here unless we understand how this was accomplished and how we can replicate getting to 120 dB (which I'll never do but knowing that my headset will not run out of headroom is ideal). In the meantime it appears that either Sony or Audeze are putting a babygate up preventing the full range of this headphone or there is something else going on here.

As for a babygate, a $299 headphone is probably out of reach for kids or those who don't understand how volume controls work (which most people who purchase this set should!) but there are cheaper headphones like Turtle Beaches for simple people with simple needs.
Very true there is also automatic gain compensation at work which causes volume to drop if the eq bands are pushed too far m. With the stock eqs we can’t even tell if this is the case.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #2,047 of 4,465
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #2,048 of 4,465
The Maxwells for me are awesome. I'm happy I got them. The volume is noticeably lower than that of the Penrose, but it's still loud enough for my liking. The bass, in GadgetryTech's words, is intoxicating but not overpowering. The highs are pleasant and I love it, although you can tell they relatively sound a bit "veiled". This is one area where the Penrose headphones seem to excel as they sound brighter, though the highs in the Maxwell are a lot easier in the ears. I believe the better term to describe its highs is "smooth". I'm sure I'd be able to achieve at least the same level of brightness once the ability to tune eqs comes out. Overall, the Maxwell headphones are a clear winner in almost every aspect. I hear more details than before, the comfort is excellent, even the soundstage appears to be slightly wider. Also love it has LDAC support so I can play music in 990kbps bitrate again.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the headphones sounded while playing Hogwarts Legacy on my PS5. I noticed a slight improvement in the Tempest surround sound. As I pan my character around, the sound as it pans is more natural. It's like the sound's gradation from right to left and back again is much smoother.

The controls are very intuitive. I can on the fly change eq depending on the song I play or the mood I'm in. I can finally go back or forward a track. I didn't expect to use this feature often, but I now switch to and fro sidetone mode on the fly since I use it as transparency mode.

If I haven't been clear enough, I love this headset. It's my favorite headset/headphone I've ever owned so far.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #2,049 of 4,465

Completely in agreement with you, we hope that Audeze takes our comments into account and can fix it with a future update.

@Scratchansniff, If you have finally been able to do the measurement on ps5 you will inform us.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,050 of 4,465
I’d just like to chime in and say that I too have an issue with the volume ceiling on the Maxwell. I’ve found them to be noticeable quieter than that of the Penrose. The problem was significantly inherent when I tried to watch the new episode of The Mandalorian with them. For whatever reason, programs on Disney plus are typically quieter than programs on other platform. However, this was never an issue for me with the Penrose, as the higher volume overhead just allowed me to turn the volume up to my liking. With the Maxwell, I found the program to be almost unwatchable. It’s hard to get immersed when you can barely hear anything.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #2,054 of 4,465
I can't measure, but the headphones do sound much louder plugged into the PS5 via USB. Max volume on console and headphones is too loud, when using a USB connection (good).
It's a problem because I don't think people have bought a wireless headset to have to be connected to the console via usb, at least for me.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,055 of 4,465
It's a problem because I don't think people have bought a wireless headset to have to be connected to the console via usb, at least for me.
Agreed! What the hell! :sweat_smile:

While we're nitpicking, the power off behaviour of the dongle is no good. Steelseries dongle exposes a device as long as it's connected. You turn the headphones off and the PC/console thinks it's still plugged in, so when you reconnect it is fast and all your settings are preserved.

Audeze dongle only turns on, from the PC/console's perspective, once the headphones are on. So you're reconnecting the device every time. Takes longer and volume resets.

I tried A/B testing with my Arctis 7 the other day for about half an hour, 5 mins with each headset at a time. By comparison the Audeze is heavy, hot and uncomfortable. Moving your head is annoying due to the added weight. The controls are more fiddly, for no good reason.

It's a shame these sound so good, because in every other category they're beaten by plastic cans at 1/3 the price. And I can't switch back, because I'll remember how good the Maxwell sounds! Awful!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back