Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v109)
Jan 14, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #545 of 4,480
Having read the last few pages, I just see a lot of dancing around on whether the xbox version will be usable with the usb dongle on a ps5 or not.

I am sure the Audeze devs have already tested this up until launch. I can understand the functionality breaking in the middle of this product's lifecycle due to Sony or Microsoft's actions, but is the xbox version's dongle going to work on Ps5 at release or not? I would appreciate a simple answer please, if it doesn't work, I will need to cancel my order and just stick with the Penrose X. The headphone jack of the controller is not a solution because everyone knows the dac is not great and you're just wasting the $300 headphone's potential.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #546 of 4,480
Having read the last few pages, I just see a lot of dancing around on whether the xbox version will be usable with the usb dongle on a ps5 or not.

I am sure the Audeze devs have already tested this up until launch. I can understand the functionality breaking in the middle of this product's lifecycle due to Sony or Microsoft's actions, but is the xbox version's dongle going to work on Ps5 at release or not? I would appreciate a simple answer please, if it doesn't work, I will need to cancel my order and just stick with the Penrose X. The headphone jack of the controller is not a solution because everyone knows the dac is not great and you're just wasting the $300 headphone's potential.
No dancing around. They’ve been crystal clear.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #547 of 4,480

Have you then not read where they say they can't answer that?

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #548 of 4,480
This really sucks, because if one were to cancel and Xbox does end up supporting the PS5, you have to wait until mid-March or later to obtain it. But if it doesn't support it, you are stuck with returning the item and potential restocking fees.

I remember when nova pro wireless was promoted, it was fairly well known the Xbox dongle would support ps5.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #549 of 4,480
The audeze guy literally explained earlier that they aren’t a rich and big company like steel series and can’t do both like that

What reason was given for why a company must be "rich and big" in order to sell one headset instead of two?

My intuition would be that having fewer product lines would be easier for a smaller company, since it would simplify supply chain and inventory management.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #550 of 4,480
Ok guys as an update, to make sure it is fully understood: (FAQ has been updated with this)

Will the Xbox Maxwell work with PlayStation (or vice versa)?

Either version is universally compatible using the 3.5mm connection. In low-latency wireless mode or via USB, due to differing hardware, firmware, and licensing requirements, the PlayStation version will not work on Xbox. Xbox version on PlayStation via the USB dongle is not officially supported and may not work. Using the Xbox version on PS via wired USB, there may be some limitations in volume control and other possible loss of functionality. We recommend use of the properly supported version for each console.

What this means is what you think, Maxwell is NOT the Penrose. The chipset is very different and just because it worked fine on Penrose X, does not mean to expect the same exact outcome on Maxwell.
@Mad Lust Envy WHOA, so this is a new update, correct? It is NO longer recommended if one owns BOTH current gen systems to purchase the Xbox version? I believe that was your original recommendation. On 12/8 I preordered the Xbox version and I was really hoping to use the Xbox Maxwell on the PS5 version of Dead Space since it supports DuelSense haptics. If Xbox Maxwell NO longer supports PS5 via USB dongle (albeit with lower volume, fine) I will cancel my order. If "not officially supported" but it can still be supported unofficially? Im more confused than before and at this stage of development you should know if will work on not. Not to be curt but should I officially just cancel my order?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #552 of 4,480
No dancing around. They’ve been crystal clear.
Their own FAQ on Maxwell

PlayStation version will not work on Xbox. Xbox version on PlayStation via the USB dongle is not officially supported and may not work.

With Playstation they say will not work
With xbox they say may instead wont work.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #553 of 4,480
Their own FAQ on Maxwell

PlayStation version will not work on Xbox. Xbox version on PlayStation via the USB dongle is not officially supported and may not work.

With Playstation they say will not work
With xbox they say may instead wont work.
I may keep my preorder then, just been looking forward to this like many of us. It’s just two thirds the cost of the systems and I don’t want to be disappointed but if there’s some licensing issues Audeze needs to dance around their wording regarding compatibility so be it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #554 of 4,480
I may keep my preorder then, just been looking forward to this like many of us. It’s just two thirds the cost of the systems and I don’t want to be disappointed but if there’s some licensing issues Audeze needs to dance around their wording regarding compatibility so be it.
If you're worry you can wait for 1st batch ppl can test things.

Once full release people will test alotvof things about the headset.

Most likely the mic won't work if you using Xbox ver on Playstation. The only thing that may work will be the Playstation will give the Xbox headset sound because it see the headset as a USB.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #555 of 4,480
What reason was given for why a company must be "rich and big" in order to sell one headset instead of two?

My intuition would be that having fewer product lines would be easier for a smaller company, since it would simplify supply chain and inventory management.
Rich and big means they have the pull with Microsoft and Sony to demand how they are going to market and advertise their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back