Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Jan 1, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #346 of 4,477
I have a question, not only to Audeze but anyone here. What u guys think about the phillips head screws?
Not sure how they made it into the headset, but its not looking very good in my opinion. xD
The very least, they should be black no?

Attachments

• brave_LJ4Py9VYrI.png
    brave_LJ4Py9VYrI.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #347 of 4,477
I have a question, not only to Audeze but anyone here. What u guys think about the phillips head screws?
Not sure how they made it into the headset, but its not looking very good in my opinion. xD
Why is it not looking good? Do you mean appearance wise or something wrong with the screws?. Looks fine to me appearance wise.

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #349 of 4,477
The one I ordered from said January the 15th
I think it won't touch your head at all, it also allows you to adjust it as needed. The new Moondrop Venus headset has screws more transparent on the outside headband. It's a concern, but if the build quality is a tank rather than a Penrose I'm 100% fine with it.

Yea I meant appearance wise. I think it looks kind of ugly. A bit of "homebuilt" look. I mean its not a deal breaker for me, I wont be looking at them that much. But still. :p
Yeah when I first saw that picture of the screws I was pretty shocked at how bad it looked. Everything else about it looks good, but those obvious screws look ugly.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #350 of 4,477

In my opinion whole headset is leaning towards utilitarian, minimalist look, slightly less than LCD line as Maxwell fells more "modern".
I get your issue with it and would gladly see something more refine, like magnetic attachment, but overall it dosent look bad imo and it makes whole element cheaper and simpler to replace if needed.

For me it looks way better than Mobius/Penrose, should have similar or even better sound and the thing I care most about it is a durability. I stopped using Mobius partially because I was just afraid of it cracking and I was anxious putting it on every time after I had to replace it twice. I love the sound I was getting and I bet Audeze took steps with new design/materials for it to not happen again as I can only imagine how much pain in the ass it was for them! We were complaining but probably they didn't have clue that previous plastic will be cracking after some time and replacing so many headset must have been huge cost for them both in terms of money and brand perceived quality. I'm glad they didn't abandoned idea of cheaper and gamer focused headphones but I hope they will last much longer now.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #351 of 4,477
Probably the result of cutting a tiny bit of cost in something most people won't care about.
Would they look better in black? Yes. Would they look even better if they were hex screws for instance? Probably. Do I mind that much? Not really.

I appreciate the fact that the comfort strap is user serviceable and I'm looking forward to try different homemade or third-party alternatives. If the screws are standard thread you can even get color plated ones and replace them yourself for a more unique look.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #353 of 4,477
Apologies if it’s been answered earlier in the thread but has it been mentioned if there’s full functionality using iPhone? Was disappointing with the Penrose you could do so much more with Android
Yes I think it was answered, and take away was that iOS support is the same as Penrose was - so pretty crap. It supports Maxwell as an audio device, but cannot do firmware updates or EQ changes from iOS. They decided again not to include the appropriate chip for that to be a possibility (if I remember their response correctly).

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #354 of 4,477
Initially I had written the Maxwell off due to the removal of simultaneous audio sources but honestly, after thinking things over, the 80 hours battery life is going to be more important for me on a daily basis. There will be times that I go back to my proper wired desktop set up but 80% of the time I am on wireless headphones.

My current wireless headset (logitech G535) was my first foray into trying something wireless out on a daily basis with my pc, be it for calls, gaming or watching movies. And in these regards the convenience of going wireless is an absolute game changer. But having to charge the headset every couple of days was not.

I should note that what actually blew me away about the G535 was how the "gamer tuning" was MUCH better for enjoying movies/tv shows and non competitive gaming than any of my audiophile headphones. I must admit, I had rather low expectations due to my natural distrust of "gamer" labelled gear in general, this was also what initially kept me away from the penrose. Though I have never tried the Penrose, from all my research online it appears to have been tuned well. If the Maxwell does well in sound department and has no FW issues, I am going to insta order it, until then I will wait on impressions and or reviews from trusted reviewers.

I do, however, on occasion require simultaneous audio, so I will be picking up the SS nova 7P (will try and get it on sale) for those occasions. This will also help to tide me over until Maxwell launches fully. Keeping my fingers crossed for a problem free and successful launch!

PS Is a desktop app in the works for customizing the sound of maxwell?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #355 of 4,477
Initially I had written the Maxwell off due to the removal of simultaneous audio sources but honestly, after thinking things over, the 80 hours battery life is going to be more important for me on a daily basis. There will be times that I go back to my proper wired desktop set up but 80% of the time I am on wireless headphones.

My current wireless headset (logitech G535) was my first foray into trying something wireless out on a daily basis with my pc, be it for calls, gaming or watching movies. And in these regards the convenience of going wireless is an absolute game changer. But having to charge the headset every couple of days was not.

I should note that what actually blew me away about the G535 was how the "gamer tuning" was MUCH better for enjoying movies/tv shows and non competitive gaming than any of my audiophile headphones. I must admit, I had rather low expectations due to my natural distrust of "gamer" labelled gear in general, this was also what initially kept me away from the penrose. Though I have never tried the Penrose, from all my research online it appears to have been tuned well. If the Maxwell does well in sound department and has no FW issues, I am going to insta order it, until then I will wait on impressions and or reviews from trusted reviewers.

I do, however, on occasion require simultaneous audio, so I will be picking up the SS nova 7P (will try and get it on sale) for those occasions. This will also help to tide me over until Maxwell launches fully. Keeping my fingers crossed for a problem free and successful launch!

PS Is a desktop app in the works for customizing the sound of maxwell?
There is a desktop app for Penrose and mobius. I imagine it will work for maxwell as well

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #360 of 4,477
If Audeze was still tweaking firmware few days ago it is very likely to ship late/end of this month early February. They probably need to update all of the already produced headsets before shipping and most likely ship overseas which can take if I'm not mistaken 2,3 weeks?
Sad to hear that as I'm eagerly waiting for them as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back