Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Oct 26, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #4,126 of 4,456
There are some comments above. Seems like this is for people creating content for Dolby Atmos music tracks. I can't see where this has anything to do with traditional gaming where you are looking straight at a monitor all the time. Seems really gimmicky for a gaming headset.

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #4,127 of 4,456
There are some comments above. Seems like this is for people creating content for Dolby Atmos music tracks. I can't see where this has anything to do with traditional gaming where you are looking straight at a monitor all the time. Seems really gimmicky for a gaming headset.
Yes. But does this mean that the gyros are installed?

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #4,128 of 4,456
P.s.... I remember audeze saying key difference with ps/pc and Xbox/ps/pc version is crap (paraphrasing) volumes in the latter if used on ps5.
Is this a real issue.

p.p.s
Has it yet been established if the dongle is a lossless WiFi dongle or some proprietary lossy Bluetooth protocol? Would've thought a frequency scanner would've sorted that answer out. Sorry, but been on the fence for a bit and reading this frequently but still seems that the device reviews and the marketing and this thread can't agree on the answer

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,130 of 4,456
If I read this correctly, this release is to enable professionals / content creators. Not, for now, intended for normal users. So, interesting, but not immediately relevant to most folks here.

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #4,131 of 4,456
For now it will only work with some app, "Dolby Atmos Renderer" (so no, it won't work with "Dolby Access" on Windows or something).

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,132 of 4,456
P.s.... I remember audeze saying key difference with ps/pc and Xbox/ps/pc version is crap (paraphrasing) volumes in the latter if used on ps5.
Is this a real issue.

p.p.s
Has it yet been established if the dongle is a lossless WiFi dongle or some proprietary lossy Bluetooth protocol? Would've thought a frequency scanner would've sorted that answer out. Sorry, but been on the fence for a bit and reading this frequently but still seems that the device reviews and the marketing and this thread can't agree on the answer

The dongle is Bluetooth, LC3+ specifically. The early Maxwell user guide said so explicitly, before Audeze started being more cagey about it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...-firmware-v51-and-hq-v80.966020/post-17443798

I don't think there's much question that it's Bluetooth. Audeze has never claimed in their marketing that it was 2.4GHz. Any early confusion seems entirely based on erroneous reporting by an online outlet or two early on.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #4,133 of 4,456
The dongle is Bluetooth, LC3+ specifically. The early Maxwell user guide said so explicitly, before Audeze started being more cagey about it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...-firmware-v51-and-hq-v80.966020/post-17443798

I don't think there's much question that it's Bluetooth. Audeze has never claimed in their marketing that it was 2.4GHz. Any early confusion seems entirely based on erroneous reporting by an online outlet or two early on.

It does say "lossless quality" and "high-resolution" in the description. Can BT LC3+ do that?

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #4,134 of 4,456
It does say "lossless quality" and "high-resolution" in the description. Can BT LC3+ do that?

LC3+ can do hi-res. “Lossless quality” feels squirrelly. Don’t think it can technically do lossless, but are they claiming it’s technically lossless or it sounds as good as lossless?

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #4,135 of 4,456
Just joined the club! 😁

20231027_161032.jpg

Oct 27, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #4,136 of 4,456
LC3+ can do hi-res. “Lossless quality” feels squirrelly. Don’t think it can technically do lossless, but are they claiming it’s technically lossless or it sounds as good as lossless?
Cut and paste:

Play confidently with reliable stability and 3X the range versus standard 2.4GHz wireless, keeping you in sync with the action on-screen. Enjoy lossless-quality high-resolution audio with the latest in wirelesstechnology, compatible with LC3plus, LE Audio, and LDAC. Switch seamlessly between multiple devices with Bluetooth Multipoint.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #4,137 of 4,456
Cut and paste:

Play confidently with reliable stability and 3X the range versus standard 2.4GHz wireless, keeping you in sync with the action on-screen. Enjoy lossless-quality high-resolution audio with the latest in wirelesstechnology, compatible with LC3plus, LE Audio, and LDAC. Switch seamlessly between multiple devices with Bluetooth Multipoint.

It seems like they’re stretching the truth claiming lossless

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #4,138 of 4,456
It seems like they’re stretching the truth claiming lossless
Ignore the marketing words and verbiage. The transmission technology can't get anywhere close to 1400 kilobits per second of CD quality audio let alone high resolution audio. The fact that it can transmit 24-bit 48 kHz audio is just marketing. And that's not bashing on the Maxwell. That's with every wireless Bluetooth audio transmission technology. Now that will probably change in the not too distance future as some companies are switching to legit Wi-Fi audio transmission which actually can transmit high bit rate audio.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #4,139 of 4,456
Ignore the marketing words and verbiage. The transmission technology can't get anywhere close to the 1400 megabits per second of CD quality audio let alone high resolution audio. The fact that it can transmit 24-bit 48 kHz audio is just marketing. And that's not bashing on the Maxwell. That's with every wireless Bluetooth audio transmission technology. Now that will probably change in the not too distance future as some companies are switching to legit Wi-Fi audio transmission which actually can transmit high bit rate audio.

Well LC3+ can do 24/96 supposedly, but it's lossy hi-res, not lossless hi-res. And CD audio is uncompressed, so that 1400 mbps number isn't directly comparable to compressed lossless audio, but no I don't see anywhere that LC3+ claims to do even compressed CD quality lossless. So Audeze's hi-res claim is reasonable but I'd call the lossless claim false, though they might argue that they're saying the quality is transparent, so that it sounds like lossless-quality rather than technically being lossless. It's definitely heavy on the marketing speak.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #4,140 of 4,456
Well LC3+ can do 24/96 supposedly, but it's lossy hi-res, not lossless hi-res. And CD audio is uncompressed, so that 1400 mbps number isn't directly comparable to compressed lossless audio, but no I don't see anywhere that LC3+ claims to do even compressed CD quality lossless. So Audeze's hi-res claim is reasonable. I'd call the lossless claim false, but they might argue that they're saying the quality is transparent, so that it sounds like lossless rather than technically being lossless.
Agreed. The subject is clear as mud for a lot of people. There is no one magic answer. There are many variables none of which are more important than the individuals ability to perceive a difference of above a certain bit rate. For me personally, I don't pay for any audio streaming service tier that goes above CD quality audio. I simply can't discern that much of a difference. For my part, the whole 24/96 has been relevant for recording audio for quite some time but not useful for the consumer listening to audio. just my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back