Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2,296 of 4,444
I hope they will sell different material headbands in the future, I can see the leather stretching over time. I cant get the perfect fit desire, but pretty close to it. The smallest peg is way too small and the middle one is every so slightly loose so I am in between. Wish there was a way to adjust the fit further. Only thing stopping it from being perfect in my eyes.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,297 of 4,444
Linear PCM
This setting does not affect Maxwell dongle, since the USB only accepts 2 channel, so Dolby and DTS will get converted to 2 ch PCM anyways. PS5 usb is limited to 2 ch IIRC.

We're also looking into the dongle/BT priority issues.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #2,298 of 4,444
I hope they will sell different material headbands in the future, I can see the leather stretching over time. I cant get the perfect fit desire, but pretty close to it. The smallest peg is way too small and the middle one is every so slightly loose so I am in between. Wish there was a way to adjust the fit further. Only thing stopping it from being perfect in my eyes.
Try putting the one side on the two smallest pegs and leave one side on the middle pegs, I read a few other posts on here that recommended it and it's working well for me so far

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #2,300 of 4,444
iOS uses AAC by default, with SBC as a fall-back. Theoretically since the Maxwell supports AAC, it should be using AAC rather than SBC, but it's possible it's falling back on SBC instead for some reason.

Personally, when switching between the dongle and iPhone, there's a subtle loss of definition and clarity. I wouldn't say it's a night and day difference, but it's there in my opinion. It's not a huge drop in my experience.

What app are you using for music on iPhone?
the standard app, i even converted some FLAC files to ALAC, also tried the evermusic app to play files on the phone. so quality should be there...,

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,303 of 4,444
I haven't updated the dongle firmware yet, so that might be the cause.

Battery life on these things is immense - I'm currently on a 4-5hr PS5 MW2 session and battery is down to 95%. On the Penrose I'd be getting a low battery warning on a long 6-8hr session.

The footstep equaliser is brilliant. If anything a bit too brilliant as team mates sound like a herd of elephants around you!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,304 of 4,444
Another oddity is that Audeze support claims that simultaneous Aux+Dongle playback shouldn't be possible, but it works for me. So I can have a bluetooth device, Aux and the Dongle Connected. If the bluetooth starts playing then the Dongle gets muted, but comes back as soon as the bluetooth is paused, and the Aux keeps playing back throughout. The same doesn't work for the Dongle and USB-C though, for some reason, which is why I keep on requesting that USB-C be given priority over the Dongle, but it would be awesome if it could work the same as Aux.

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #2,305 of 4,444
I haven't updated the dongle firmware yet, so that might be the cause.

Battery life on these things is immense - I'm currently on a 4-5hr PS5 MW2 session and battery is down to 95%. On the Penrose I'd be getting a low battery warning on a long 6-8hr session.

The footstep equaliser is brilliant. If anything a bit too brilliant as team mates sound like a herd of elephants around you!
I'm blown away by them tbh. Loved the soind of the Penrose but so many others things missed the mark.

I used the Maxell connected to my PC for an afternoon of work then had a couple of hours on the PS5 and I've lost about 6% battery!

They are so much more comfortable than the Penrose but the icing on the cake is not only the sound (again) but the fact they feel like a quality piece of kit from the materials to the switches to even the voice prompts sounding consistent and better quality.

Worth every minute of the wait since they were announced.

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,307 of 4,444
Ok guys, so about priorities on Dongle + BT.

Bluetooth there are various modes. One for calls, one for other audio.

On Playstation our decision is to prirotize BT for call connections, then the dongle, THEN other BT audio.

This means you will have the Playstation audio be prioritized over standard BT audio, so if you want to listen to your phone and say watch Youtube, you either have to disconnect the dongle, or turn off the Playstation. We can't make everyone happy, and we believe playstation audio to be more important than someone wanting to watch a youtube video/listen to their BT music while their Playstation is on.

So again, BT + dongle hierarchy:

BT calls
PS5 dongle audio
other BT audio

As for Aux, Dongle, BT: Aux/USB wired and BT can be played at the same time. If an Aux cable is connected, it is supposed to disconnect the dongle. That is the intended behavior. Easily found by plugging in the dongle to a PC, and then connecting the aux cable. You will see the dongle connection disappear from the sound settings.

If you want to hear everything, then I recommend using the USB wired + BT connection.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,308 of 4,444

On Playstation our decision is to prirotize BT for call connections, then the dongle, THEN other BT audio.

This means you will have the Playstation audio be prioritized over standard BT audio, so if you want to listen to your phone and say watch Youtube, you either have to disconnect the dongle, or turn off the Playstation. We can't make everyone happy, and we believe playstation audio to be more important than someone wanting to watch a youtube video/listen to their BT music while their Playstation is on.

BT calls
PS5 dongle audio
other BT audio

As for Aux, Dongle, BT: Aux/USB wired and can be played at the same time. If an Aux cable is connected, it is supposed to disconnect the dongle. That is the intended behavior. Easily found by plugging in the dongle to a PC, and then connecting the aux cable. You will see the dongle connection disappear from the sound settings.
Does this work the same for PC?I have my dongle on PC mode and other than calls it doesn't interrupt my dongle audio. I'm cool with that as when I have my PC on my PC sound should take priority besides calls. Just curious if it is the same

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #2,309 of 4,444

BT calls
PS5 dongle audio
other BT audio

As for Aux, Dongle, BT: Aux/USB wired and can be played at the same time. If an Aux cable is connected, it is supposed to disconnect the dongle. That is the intended behavior. Easily found by plugging in the dongle to a PC, and then connecting the aux cable. You will see the dongle connection disappear from the sound settings.

If you want to hear everything, then I recommend using the USB wired + BT connection.
For me Aux doesn't disconnect the Dongle. It keeps playing simultaneously. If I have USB-C and connect the dongle, then the USB-C connection is dropped.

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #2,310 of 4,444
It's different on PC. BT audio will prioritize over dongle audio. So if you're on the dongle, and playback a youtube video on the phone, the video audio will take over until you pause. As the BT audio is prioritize, I recommend disabling touch sounds or message tones, etc on your phones, so not to get interrupted every time you touch your phone. or check messages, etc.

Note that you may need to power cycle the Maxwell if the behavior changes.

Pixelcowboy: That is not the intended behavior, and may be a bug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back