Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Feb 22, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,531 of 4,444
I should have probably slept more before filming, but, yes I did try in wired. You can still run 24bit 96khz in wireless mode, and all three modes (wireless, USB-C, and aux sound great. They all utilized DSP and benefit greatly from that. I will discuss the various modes more in depth with my Xbox follow up review, to kind of work in tandem with everything stated here.

When I compared to Nova Pro Wireless, I have to consider the fact that I made several tuning adjustments with custom EQ to maximize their performance in footsteps. With the Maxwell, I basically stayed with the stock EQ presets until I can tune via Audeze HQ and not something like EAPO or Sonar. The Maxwell wasn't bad for footsteps by any means, but in the current state, the Model One and Nova Pro had a slight edge, that's all.

If I had to pick a single headset for everything, it's still the Maxwell no matter what. I am not packing up a few "wall of fame" headsets that I always keep handy because the Maxwell just replaced several of them at once. The Maxwell is unrivaled with music quality for a wireless gaming headset. The only ones that came close are the Nova Pro Wireless and EPOS H3 Pro, but they both have their own gremlins and I think the Maxwell just has the total edge in sound quality.
Alright, thanks for responding! Looking forward to the follow-up video. I hope you can share some personal EQ settings for the Maxwell for music and FPS once you figure those things out. I just found your channel today and I love it. Keep up the good work!

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,532 of 4,444
I noticed with my Maxwell that i dont have the same preset EQs as the manual and some of the reviews mentioned. My audio ques are like Audeze, Alternate, Ballistics, Footsteps, Racing, RPG, EQ 1-4. Anyone else have this with theirs?

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,533 of 4,444
I did a sound test (10 songs or so) on Maxwell last night without Dolby. Seems pretty average to my ears. Anyone try the Maxwell with Dolby atmos find improvement to the overall sound signature? I'm not saying it was bad, but sounded kinda eh.
Hi. Saw in your signature as having Meze 109 pro.This is a comparison of apples and oranges,but still can you give a comparison in sound between these 2 headphones?

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,534 of 4,444
I noticed with my Maxwell that i dont have the same preset EQs as the manual and some of the reviews mentioned. My audio ques are like Audeze, Alternate, Ballistics, Footsteps, Racing, RPG, EQ 1-4. Anyone else have this with theirs?
Sounds like you have an old pre-release firmware. Sorry about that! If possible, please update via Audeze HQ on Windows to a more recent firmware.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #1,535 of 4,444
I should have probably slept more before filming, but, yes I did try in wired. You can still run 24bit 96khz in wireless mode, and all three modes (wireless, USB-C, and aux sound great. They all utilized DSP and benefit greatly from that. I will discuss the various modes more in depth with my Xbox follow up review, to kind of work in tandem with everything stated here.

When I compared to Nova Pro Wireless, I have to consider the fact that I made several tuning adjustments with custom EQ to maximize their performance in footsteps. With the Maxwell, I basically stayed with the stock EQ presets until I can tune via Audeze HQ and not something like EAPO or Sonar. The Maxwell wasn't bad for footsteps by any means, but in the current state, the Model One and Nova Pro had a slight edge, that's all.

If I had to pick a single headset for everything, it's still the Maxwell no matter what. I am not packing up a few "wall of fame" headsets that I always keep handy because the Maxwell just replaced several of them at once. The Maxwell is unrivaled with music quality for a wireless gaming headset. The only ones that came close are the Nova Pro Wireless and EPOS H3 Pro, but they both have their own gremlins and I think the Maxwell just has the total edge in sound quality.

Sorry just to clarify, you are referring to H6 pro right? I picked up both open and closed pairs from amazon to Audition them and compare them once I get maxwell next week and make my final decision. The amount of bass on the H6 closed can get ridiculous at times and the open one has weird treble which is only good for gaming and nothing else.

I initially passed on the nova pro wireless due to the ANC nub; however, in the unlikely event I don't gel with maxwell I might give the nova pro a look but from what I am hearing from multiple sources (I made a punny lol) Maxwell is off to a strong start and with finalized EQ software it will get even better.

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,536 of 4,444
Sounds like you have an old pre-release firmware. Sorry about that! If possible, please update via Audeze HQ on Windows to a more recent firmware.
Thanks, that took care of it.

For the game/chat mix wheel, for someone that has no real use for it, is it best to just leave it maxed out for game audio and then use the volume wheel for adjusting after?

Haven't had too much time with the headphones due to being busy but so far i am enjoying it more than my penrose overall.

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,537 of 4,444
For console gaming I’ve always found DTS to be my preferred virtualized surround solution, with Dolby being a decent backup. To me, DTS does the best job of maintaining the meaty quality of a stereo signal while providing a bit more spaciousness and directionality (it also has a “balanced” or “spacious” profile to choose between).

I’ve never liked Tempest on PS5 that much, and it’s actually one of the reasons I tend to prefer playing games on Xbox. I find that, especially in games not mastered with it in mind (Battlefield 2042, say), it’s somewhat muddy and hollow sounding. It reminds me a bit of what the onboard Dolby surround function sounded like on the old Astro mixamps.
This is a really interesting article on EA use of 3D audio. EA uses their own bespoke 3D solution that works with Atmos and Tempest. BF2042, NFS UnBound and Dead Space all use the same 3D audio soultion in Frostbite. I think were going to see fewer native Atmos games.

"The first implementation we did was Atmos over HDMI, so that's the format where you need to put it into an amp and then it breaks it out into the discrete speakers. After that, because there were different systems both on Sony Xbox and PC – with Peter Bliss, who's based at Criterion in the UK, we actually developed our own 3D solution as well so we could be platform-agnostic.

This helps us on the mixing stage, because then we just mix to that one target, and then it can be translated onto any platform that we work on down the lines. So the EA Dice titles currently working with the Frostbite engine utilise that 3D system, and it is translatable to the Tempest system and then to Atmos as well."

https://headlinermagazine.net/ben-m...th-one-in-a-million-chance-of-it-playing.html

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,538 of 4,444
Thanks, that took care of it.

For the game/chat mix wheel, for someone that has no real use for it, is it best to just leave it maxed out for game audio and then use the volume wheel for adjusting after?

Haven't had too much time with the headphones due to being busy but so far i am enjoying it more than my penrose overall.
Game/Chat defaults to 50% on powered on state. You can of course set it to 100% game, without problem while it is on.

We chose to default these balances (sidetone as well) so people don;'t blow their ear drums on accident, don;'t think something isn't working (i.e. leaving it at 100% chat, then forgetting, and thinking they're not getting game audio, etc.) It was the more logical choice to have these settings default upon turning the headset on.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #1,539 of 4,444
Game/Chat defaults to 50% on powered on state. You can of course set it to 100% game, without problem while it is on.

We chose to default these balances (sidetone as well) so people don;'t blow their ear drums on accident, don;'t think something isn't working (i.e. leaving it at 100% chat, then forgetting, and thinking they're not getting game audio, etc.) It was the more logical choice to have these settings default upon turning the headset on.
Are you saying that the mix % gets reset every time the headset is power cycled ?

Is that the same for main and microphone gain controls or will they stay at the last state between power cycles ?

Hats off to the reviewer, impressively in depth ! I was however surprised to learn that sidetone stays on when the mic is on, is that a bug that will get fixed or is that baked into the design ?

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,540 of 4,444
There is no mic gain. Maxwell uses AGC (automatic gain control). If you wish to control mic volume past this, you'll have to do it from the source end.

And yes, power cycling resets volume, game/chat balance, sidetone volume.

As for sidetone, for now, you can simply disable it (press in the lower game/chat wheel twice to toggle sidetone ON/OFF) after muting the mic. I will bring this up with our engineers.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,542 of 4,444
To be fair, sidetone is a function of hearing yourself, and isn't inherently related to mic mute (which is the ability for OTHERS to hear your mic.)

We do not think this is an issue, but we'll discuss internally on how to proceed.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,543 of 4,444
Got mine earlier this morning and testing it out. My comparison points are coming from PC38X, HD800s, and Meze 109.

Sound stage and imaging is fantastic. Completely within reaching distance of the open backs but with the obvious closed back nature of blocking out that airiness. Imaging is crazy good. I can't think of much better, seems as accurate as the Meze 109, HD800s, or PC38x. This is in Modern Warfare 2, BF2042, Insurgency.

Comfort is surprisingly good considering the weight. One of the benefits is there is no wire kind of pulling you down which makes it easier.

Super premium build quality. Great out of box tuning. Mic is fantastic. This feels like it will be a great work horse of a headphone.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,544 of 4,444
Got mine earlier this morning and testing it out. My comparison points are coming from PC38X, HD800s, and Meze 109.

Sound stage and imaging is fantastic. Completely within reaching distance of the open backs but with the obvious closed back nature of blocking out that airiness. Imaging is crazy good. I can't think of much better, seems as accurate as the Meze 109, HD800s, or PC38x. This is in Modern Warfare 2, BF2042, Insurgency.

Comfort is surprisingly good considering the weight. One of the benefits is there is no wire kind of pulling you down which makes it easier.

Super premium build quality. Great out of box tuning. Mic is fantastic. This feels like it will be a great work horse of a headphone.

Thanks for the impressions, glad you are liking it. If I may ask, how does it perform in BF2042 specifically - does it feel fully immersed without sounding too competitive or analytical - if that makes sense.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,545 of 4,444
Thanks for the impressions, glad you are liking it. If I may ask, how does it perform in BF2042 specifically - does it feel fully immersed without sounding too competitive or analytical - if that makes sense.
Honestly you can kind of decide. I think the default profile is pretty balanced. Bass boost up that immersion, Immersive eq ..... self explanatory, then you can turn on the footstep eq and get sweaty if you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back