Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 19, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #211 of 4,444
It's the USB connection - so some devices connected via USB will have this issue - I've had it with USB Dacs and even USB headsets. Some might work fine (and those designed for the PS5 will obviously be fine) others will not. The Nova Pro Xbox version is advertised as working with PS5 so probably has made allowances in the design for this.
so WiFi via USB dongle too?

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #212 of 4,444
1. We will have more to say as we finalize features. As of RIGHT NOW, the function is only Xbox and PC (PS5 does not have game/chat under its compatibility list, though this may be subject to change). On a PS Maxwell (and Xbox Maxwell as well), when you connect it to PC, you will have 2 source devices. One is called Maxwell GAME, and the other is called Maxwell CHAT. So you would set Game as your default audio device, and then when you're on a program like Discord, you can set the output device there as "Maxwell chat". So the game/chat balance will adjust between the two device outputs.
Interesting, I SWORE PS5 had game to chat mix on your site (under the PS5 section and even had the ² subscript for PS), I even took at screenshot and sent it to a friend. I see it's not there anymore, so maybe it was just an error. Sad to see it's not supported, that was partly why I felt confident pre-ordering.

Thanks for clarifying though! Good to right size my expectations.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #213 of 4,444
Interesting, I SWORE PS5 had game to chat mix on your site (under the PS5 section and even had the ² subscript for PS), I even took at screenshot and sent it to a friend. I see it's not there anymore, so maybe it was just an error. Said to see it's not supported, that was partly why I felt confident pre-ordering.

So ps version can't alter the game/voice via the headset controls? What about with the Audeze Hq?.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #214 of 4,444
Interesting, I SWORE PS5 had game to chat mix on your site (under the PS5 section and even had the ² subscript for PS), I even took at screenshot and sent it to a friend. I see it's not there anymore, so maybe it was just an error. Said to see it's not supported, that was partly why I felt confident pre-ordering.

It was, but was removed until we get 100% confirmation as the firmware is finalized and we get a clearer picture. We apologize for the confusion.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #215 of 4,444
A quick update for everyone. Audeze sent over a new beta firmware update last week so I looked to see if the USB-C dongle works straight out of the console without the USB-A adapter and guess what? It works! No more adapter life for me.

Audeze Maxwell Dongle.JPG

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #216 of 4,444
A quick update for everyone. Audeze sent over a new beta firmware update last week so I looked to see if the USB-C dongle works straight out of the console without the USB-A adapter and guess what? It works! No more adapter life for me.

Audeze Maxwell Dongle.JPG
So it plugs into the usb type C slot? What is surprising about that?. I thought it was a usb type c dongle?.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #217 of 4,444
It is a type-C dongle, but before the firmware update I was only able to get game audio when using the included USB-A adapter. Now I can leave the adapter in the box. Here's my post from the 9th for more details:
It may in fact be required for the Maxwell. A pre-production Maxwell with beta firmware just arrived at HFHQ and I took it for a quick spin over a couple of hours. In my time with it the dongle didn't output audio when connected to the USB-C jack, and an included USB-A to USB-C adapter that came in the box was needed to get me going. I'm not yet familiar with the PSVR2's cable requirements, but the original PSVR takes up most of my USB ports when in use.

Meanwhile USB-C straight from a computer worked like a champ.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #219 of 4,444
Maxwell is far from the 250-350g weight of most other gaming headsets, so I'm little skeptical that the weight distribution will be okay enough to withstand the neck burden and fatigue when use it long time. Audeze received complaints from actual users on Penrose and maxwell reinforced many parts about it, but it seems that the weight has jumped in return, and I wonder if there are any design techniques or know-how to supplement this. What is the opinion of the Audeze engineer?
Thanks, congratulations on launching new product!

Dec 20, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #220 of 4,444
I regularly wear earmuffs for shooting 5-6 hours at a time that are 420 grams. That weight is not really an issue as long as the headband spreads it out.

Audeze, can you confirm that all all Xbox Maxwell orders placed directly through you as of close of business on 12/19 will ship in the first batch?

Thanks,

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #221 of 4,444
Maxwell is far from the 250-350g weight of most other gaming headsets, so I'm little skeptical that the weight distribution will be okay enough to withstand the neck burden and fatigue when use it long time. Audeze received complaints from actual users on Penrose and maxwell reinforced many parts about it, but it seems that the weight has jumped in return, and I wonder if there are any design techniques or know-how to supplement this. What is the opinion of the Audeze engineer?
Thanks, congratulations on launching new product!

The core problem with Penrose is the headband design. The band is narrow and rigid, with an even narrower and flat padded section at the apex. As a result, you end up with the entire weight of the headset concentrated on a small pressure point at the crown of your head. The high clamping force out-of-the-box may also be an attempt to mitigate this.

Given that Maxwell is switching to a suspension strap gives me hope that it will be more comfortable. Ultimately it is probably better to wait for reviews. When it comes to comfort issues, pictures and specs don't always tell the whole story.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #222 of 4,444
I agree, a lot of weight with only the top pad to support the headphone creates discomfort. Typically in those situations, swapping to thicker, more plush earpads will help alleviate the pressure on top of the head. The only way a cushioned headband design works for me is when the headphone is light, like HD600 or similar.

I'll use the Logitech G533 wireless headset as an example since it's what I have. It's around 350G. It uses a single cushion on top of the headband. I start to notice the weight after wearing it for any extended amount of time. Yet, the Philips X2HR with suspension headband weighs more, but it doesn't feel heavy to me due to the suspension headband.

Comfort is even more subjective than sound, and that's my take on the matter. I think the suspension strap will be just fine for me.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #223 of 4,444
@Audeze
I have a question about using the AudezeHQ software with the Maxwell. Can you adjust the settings on the headset while wireless on a PC? or do you need to plug in a USB cable like the Penrose currently requires? I have the Audeze Penrose and the Steelseries Artis 7 pro wireless and its so much nicer to be able to just pull up the software and make adjustments without having to worry about the cable.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #224 of 4,444
@Audeze
¿In Maxwell the size of the earmuffs is smaller than in Penrose?

I am concerned about the inside size of the earmuffs
as in the Penrose my ears fit well but snug.

If in Maxwell the inner size of the earmuffs is smaller than in Penrose, my ears will rub against the earmuffs and feel uncomfortable.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #225 of 4,444
@Audeze
I have a question about using the AudezeHQ software with the Maxwell. Can you adjust the settings on the headset while wireless on a PC? or do you need to plug in a USB cable like the Penrose currently requires? I have the Audeze Penrose and the Steelseries Artis 7 pro wireless and its so much nicer to be able to just pull up the software and make adjustments without having to worry about the cable.

At the moment, software is not finalized. It's more than likely you will need to plug in via USB to make adjustments. We'll know more once we come closer to release.

@Audeze
¿In Maxwell the size of the earmuffs is smaller than in Penrose?

I am concerned about the inside size of the earmuffs
as in the Penrose my ears fit well but snug.

If in Maxwell the inner size of the earmuffs is smaller than in Penrose, my ears will rub against the earmuffs and feel uncomfortable.

Thanks a lot!!

Maxwell has an ear opening on the pads that are around: 65mm tall x 50mm wide x 30mm deep
Penrose/Mob: Inner dimensions: 60mm tall x 45mm wide x 20mm deep

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back